The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2016, 08:39 AM   #1
Brutus

CFE Pistol what's it good for?

Bought a can during the glut, haven't used any yet as I was able to replenish my supply of HP-38/WW231. Planning on trying it in 9mm,10mm and .45ACP with Extreme plated bullets. Any feedback would be appreciated as load data is limited to Hodgdon's website.
Old June 5, 2016, 10:36 AM   #2
msokad

I've used it in 9mm and 40sw. Had good results for both.
Old June 5, 2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Quote:
load data is limited to Hodgdon's website.
What? Hodgdon's data availability is very good. If you are looking for data specific to ONE brand of plated bullets, don't fault Hodgdon. Look to the bullet maker. For example, Berrys Bullets publishes a guideline for many of their bullets that says"any published load (jacketted cast) for a bullet of the same weight can be used with their plated bullets."
Or send the powder me for safe disposal
Old June 5, 2016, 12:47 PM   #4
MJFlores

I havent used it yet, but I remember during the great Obama Powder shortage that many people reported great results from using it instead of other powders like HP-38 / Win 231. It's supposed to be very close in properties.
Old June 5, 2016, 01:11 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Load data is limited on Hodgdon's website for cast bullets for 10mm. The 9mm and .45 have a fair bit for cast bullets though.
CFE pistol is used by the shovelful. 5.4 to 6.2 for a .45 230 RN. Vs the 4.5 of Bullseye. Bit higher max load velocity with the CFE. Start loads are about the same as Bullseye Max loads for a 230. Bit slower burn rate than 231 or HP38. Much slower than Bullseye.
Having just one can may or may not be worth worrying too much though. Keep it cool and dry and you'll have powder for the next panic. May want to work up the loads now though.
Old June 5, 2016, 10:47 PM   #6
evtSmtx

I like it a LOT in 9 & .45.
I even loaded 150 rds of 44 mag with it when, like a doofus, I ran out of H-110.
The 9 & 45 loads were nice (my preferences in those calibers are be-86, power pistol and cfe pistol)

the 44 loads were acceptable. decent performance and accuracy but a bit "wimpy" (my son's opinion which I share) compared to h-110.

So, a powder that works well in 3 of my fave handgun calibers? Winner!
Old June 6, 2016, 01:27 AM   #7
Metal god

I have found it to be to slow a powder with light for caliber bullets . Hodgdon puts it right around Auto comp and HS-6 .

I've found it to be sooty and a case scorcher in both 9mm & 45acp when using lighter bullets . That was with 115gr 9mm and 200gr 45acp . That said if you don't mind the dirtiness of it . It seemed to be pretty accurate and velocities were pretty hot with both cartridges .

I have some 9mm 147gr HP I'm very much looking forward to trying it with . I'll also be trying it out with some 230gr 45's soon . I really don't like having sooty scorched cases . I feel it's going to do much better with the heavier bullets .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .