The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1
BombthePeasants

adding .40S&W to my repertoire...

I currently load .45ACP and .30-06. Are there any caliber-specific tips/procedures I need to be aware of? I will be using range brass, and will be loading for a Glock 23, and an XDM. I am aware that it's not GENERALLY recommended using lead bullets w/ the Glock. I have not bought components yet, and I mainly wish to load training/IDPA loads. Advice greatly appreciated.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Dis-1-Shooter

I had to get a Underside die from EGW. I had bullet set back. The U Die also helps with Glock brass.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Real Gun

You would either need to process all brass as if bulged, buying special case conditioning dies accordingly, or you will need a gauge. I use the Lyman, even though I have the Redding and Lee dies too, so I can salvage culls and even loaded ammo that won't drop in the gauge. The 40 is not just another clean it and load it caliber.

The other issue I have is that the Lee case feeder is sized for 9mm and 45. The 40 in between is problematic, because the feeder component sizes are not ideal for the case dimensions. There are some headaches there, but it's workable, especialy with mods from the user group.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:30 PM   #4
BombthePeasants

I use a single stage press, I failed to mention. If I bought the Lee Factory Crimp Die (I probably will buy the deluxe die set, with all 4 dies), would this be sufficient to correct this common issue with this caliber? also, does .40S&W require trimming, because of the much higher pressures?
Old September 3, 2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Real Gun

Also order the Bulge Buster and case catcher accessory. I have an extra FCD as the guts of the Bulge Buster, but you can get by with one, considering the setups on a single stage require a tear down for each operation.
Old September 3, 2010, 05:02 PM   #6
fourrobert13

I use the Redding GRX die for dealing with buldged cases.
Old September 3, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7
sonnycrockett

I reload mostly 40...once fired brass
with Lee 4 die turret press,never had any issue with
bulge or sizing through my glock
Old September 4, 2010, 12:13 AM   #8
noylj

All you need is the 3 die set and the barrels from your gun. The Lee FCD has a carbide sizing ring to ensure the case does not exceed SAAMI max dimensions. You can size all your brass through the FCD (with the crimping stem out of it). Personally, if I see a bulged case, it is too bulged for me to want to use.
The cases do not grow. Why people think that what happens to a bottleneck case should happen to a straight-wall case is a mystery.
Run your cases through the sizing die and then drop each into your guns' barrels. The cases should drop in with a nice "CLUNK" and the case head should not extend beyond the hood of the barrel. If it does, it needs to be trimmed (never have had this happen yet, but you're checking case fit anyway).
Then, later when you seat the bullet, just barely remove the case mouth flare/bell and drop the round in your guns' barrels. Again, if things are set right, the cases will drop into the barrel with a nice "CLUNK" and the case head will not extend past the barrel hood. If it does, you need to seat the bullet deeper. In general, the COL should be as long as possible. Controlling factors for COL are NOT what the manual says, but what works in your guns. Do the rounds fit in the magazines? Do the rounds feed and chamber in your guns? If so, then that is the COL you should use. I make up a couple of dummy rounds to test seating depth and crimp so I am not chambering live rounds.
You must carefully work up loads in your guns. You will want loads that work in both guns, I assume, so you may have to settle for a COL that works in both guns. If this is less than referenced in your reloading manual(s), start about 0.2gn lower and work up, watching for any signs of pressure.