The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Vinnie Harold

Should I invest in hard chrome?

Hi!

I recently ordered a pistol from STI, and one of the options is to hard chrome the gun. It comes with a matte blue finish, and for $300, they will coat it in hard chrome.

I have been doing some reading on this forum, and I still have not found a solid reason to go for this option. I was put off by something I read that the hard chrome scratches or scuffs easily, and once that happens, all the beauty that you bought the chrome for, is GONE!

Is this true? Is there a reason for the hard chrome finish over the matte blue other than is really looks sexy in hard chrome?

Any opinions will be welcomed.

Thanks

Vinnie
Old April 19, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
mete

Hard chrome is VERY hard very corrosion resistant ,very durable !! Any "info" that's contrary to this is BS !
Old April 19, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
cwok

Hard Chrome

I'm normally kinda 'iffy' about adding a corrosion/wear resistant finish to a firearm; mostly because its expensive and you yourself will probably have to detail strip the weapon and remove all wood/plastic as well as any type of metal that won't take the new finish.
To avoid that, I either anticipate shooting/cleaning it enough to not worry; or I buy stainless.

BUT -- If STI Is building your weapon and they do the Chrome Job while building it --- I'd be very tempted --- and then I'd say Yes.
Old April 19, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
oldandslow

vinnie, 4/20/10

I live in the tropics and have a problem with my blued pistols rusting, especially the ones I carry and sweat on. My solution was getting them hard chromed (7 pistols so far). The hard chrome finish is very durable and there has been no problem with scratching or rusting. The price you have been quoted seems a bit high to me. I have had mine done at Techplate in California (www.techplate.com) and have been pleased with the price and service- I usually have my pistols back within three weeks of my mailing them out. Check out their website and prices, and if you have any questions email them addressed to Marshall- he has always been very helpful.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old April 19, 2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Slamfire

If you want a shiny gun, get one in stainless. You can polish out scratches.

Hard chrome is a more durable finish than bluing.
Old April 20, 2010, 07:57 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Do it.
Old April 21, 2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

The $300.00 sounds high to me.
Hardchrome is a very tough and durable finish, it's around 72 RC, it does not scratch or scuff easily.
Also keep in mind that harchrome is a transparent finish so metal prep is very important.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 21, 2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Dis-1-Shooter

A shooting buddy and I just order guns from STI. My Edge is blued while his Executive is hard chrome. I wish I got my with hard chrome!!!!!!! Enough said.
Old April 23, 2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Maleman

I have two pistols done in hard chrome. One came that way. The other I sent off to have done. Neither has a scratch on them. Hard chrome or SS is the way to go as far as i'm concerned. I like my toys to remain as pristine as possible.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Hunter Customs

This custom 9mm longslide was hardchromed by Metaloy Industries,Inc it's held up very well.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com