The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
farmboy

Willey Clapp style custom SP101?

I handled a Wiley Clapp edition of the Ruger GP100 the other day, and I was taken by the melted style, finish, grips and sights.

Is there anyone out there that could do that kind of work for me on my SP101?
Old October 3, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
hulley

That would be pretty cool. I would definitly like the Novak sights on my 2.25" SP101 but the stock set up serves its purpose. The reason for me wanting a 686+ or GP100 4" is the adjustable sights for longer range shooting.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Whirlwind06

Gemini customs does similar work.
http://www.geminicustoms.com/Ruger/RugerServices.htm
Old October 3, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
RsqVet

Bowen custom arms offers better fixed sights for the sp as well and if memory serves will even put a adjustable smith and wesson sight on them.

It's a spendy option
Old October 6, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
ghostdoc

Another vote for Gemini! After having had the job done I wondered how I went without it. Doc
John 15:13
Old October 8, 2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Redhawk5.5+P+

Got the money? I've got the time.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:05 AM   #7
drail

Any Bubba with a Dremel. Seriously the only thing a stock SP 101 "needs" is removing the all of the SHARP edges on the trigger. That's all. And lots of range time.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:20 PM   #8
farmboy

"Needs" have precious little to do with "wants".

I think I'll contact Gemini. I'm not so sure about the Novak rear sights, but one similar to the little Bowen sights might be nice. I know this might lead to a little machining, but I'm willing to look. The front sight fiber optics look great, but I'm not sure about the durability.

Also, does anyone know how well bead blast finishes hold up?
Old October 9, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
drail

I have been a big fan of bead blasted finishes ever since it became apparent that S&W was not going to make very many blued guns that I wanted to own. The only downside to bead blast is that it WILL show small dings and scratches and the only way to fix it is to blast it again. I had a job years ago in a shop that had a nice blast cabinet setup with the perfect grit and all of my stainless guns got frosted. They look just like S&W factory bead blast. Be sure to use a fine grit. Unfortunately I do not have access to that blast cabinet any more and now all of my guns need a reblast. Most machine shops have blast cabinets and some of these guys will blast parts for you for a 12 pack of beer. Ask around. Gemini Custom does VERY good work.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
I have been a big fan of bead blasted finishes ever since it became apparent that S&W was not going to make very many blued guns that I wanted to own.
How much time and effort does that take. Obviously you need to take everthing apart to bead blast it, and then clean it very well.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
drail

I have worked on S&Ws for so long I can tear one completely down in a couple of minutes. I do take my sweet time when putting it back together though. The most important thing to do after you blast one is to wash and blow ALL of that grit out. It gets into every tiny hole and crevice. I use hot water and 100 lb. compressed air (with goggles). You absolutely must get it all out or it will cause terrible wear inside the gun. Do it at least 3 times. If you want to know all of the ways of the S&W revolver get Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual. It ain't cheap but it will pay for itself 3 or 4 times over by saving you from making REALLY expensive mistakes. He shows you how to dis/reassemble it the correct way and the proper tools you must have. I have bookshelves filled with shop manuals and the Kuhnhausen books are the best I have seen to date. If you want to see some really nice custom revolver photos go to the 1911pro website and look at the revolver forum. There's some nice Geminis on there. My wife is still carrying one of the first SP 101s that Ruger introduced. Even with the factory action setup it was a great little snub. With a little work it turned into a very slick little gun. If you plan on doing a lot of DA work with a GP 100 or an SP 101 you absolutely have to smooth up the edges of the trigger. They feel like they came right off of a mill. You can cut stuff in half with the edges of their triggers. It will chew on your finger.

Last edited by drail; October 9, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:30 PM   #12
farmboy

While the trigger on my SP101 is fine as is (hundreds of rounds in a sitting) I did have a concern about the bead blast getting dinged up. It's pretty much just as I suspected.

I've polished up the guts of mine, as they're really pretty simple to work on, I'm still pretty enamored with Gemini.

I'd really love to give an open signed check to Bowen, and just let them go nuts, but I'd hate to think how much money (and time!) that would eat up. I guess talk doesn't cost anything, so who knows?……maybe just for giggles.