The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 4, 2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Drummer101

Holding a AR-15 Carbine

It has been awhile since I have been on here.

But I have a Colt 6920 (stock with a carry handle).

When at the range I have grabbed the gas block a few times (gets a little toasty) and I am wondering, with a short hand guard is there a proper way to go about this? Most of the shooting I do is either at the bench (silly rules at the range), standing, or just plinking.

From what I can read and see, holding the mag well is preferred for high power while standing. Holding the end of the hand guard near the muzzle is the preferred why to hold for move and shoot.

Is there a proper way to hold a rifle with a 7" hand guard? If anything I am thinking about changing out the hand guard with something free floated but I would rather keep the 7" grip and retain the front sight post, but if I am going to change it now would be the time.
Old June 4, 2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Nathan

Try holding the rifle perpendicular to your chest. Then swing the support hand in from the side....you should be just behind the fsb.

Also, the Magpul SL handguard will protect you on the bottom and sides. A grip stop or angled fore grip also help you place your hand repeatably.

My last and most expensive option is to cut down the fsb with a dremel and file. Then put a longer handguard over it with a folding front and rear sight set!
Old June 4, 2018, 10:19 PM   #3
marine6680

The Magpul SL handguards are nice, and may help.

Try those as a quick and cheap solution.

Old June 4, 2018, 11:14 PM   #4
turtlehead

Yep. They make a big difference.
Old June 5, 2018, 08:05 PM   #5
Drummer101

The magpul SL is pretty cheap.

And I will try out holding the rifle that way. For some reason it just feels a little short.
Old June 6, 2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Chainsaw.

It IS a little short. Even my 5'4" wife benefited from a long rail/handguard. Toss something longer on, youll be much happier.
Old June 6, 2018, 12:38 PM   #7
akguy47

I was taught to hold the magwell and keep my arm down. You expose a hole in your body armor with arm extended. Plus it doesn't take long for your arm to get tired holding it out.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:38 PM   #8
raimius

Farther out makes for better rapid transitions between targets (competition or CQB uses).
Closer holds usually reduce shooter fatigue.
Old June 11, 2018, 04:15 AM   #9
Mobuck

I usually just try to find something to rest the handguard on--shooting sticks, bipod, sandbag, tree, fence post. Coyotes, groundhogs, and paper targets haven't heard about that exposed niche in body armor YET.
Old June 11, 2018, 10:30 AM   #10
akguy47

It opens your armpit. Not a real good place to take a round. Draw a line from armpit to armpit.
Old June 11, 2018, 02:55 PM   #11
marine6680

Not like an arm is going to do much to stop the bullet
Old June 11, 2018, 03:37 PM   #12
spacemanspiff

I'm not following you here....the stock handguards on your 6920 has exposed access to the gasblock and you accidently grab it?

I can't say I've ever done that with mine. For aesthetics I did replace my handguards with a set of Surefire quad rails that I had to search for many months to locate since Surefire quit making them a few years back.