The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 2, 2000, 03:51 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Shooting USPSA three gun match as newbie. So new, I don't even have a classification yet. I'm sure I'm a "D" shooter. But I have a question for the more learned. Our local club allows reshoots of the match. You are on the honor system. Your first score counts. Second score is for fun. Most people shoot a different gun for the reshoots and your second set of score sheets are marked "reshoot" so it is not confused with score to be recorded. At a stage, similar to Glock "M" stage a shooter stepped up and asked if anyone mind that he shoot his "reshoot" first. His reshoot gun was a P7 looked to be 9mm. His mainstage gun was a Sig. Don't know the caliber. Everyone said "no they didn't mind". I guess I was just being an a-hole cause I was the only one to say I did mind. He argued that it did not give him a competitive advantge since the guns were different. I said regardless of type gun, it made it like a practice run. Everyone just shrugged their shoulders at me. He did go and change guns to his Sig. Newbie Question: Was I being unfair? At end of season the USPSA pot is split amongst top shooters. I have no chance at this. But love the shooting three gun matches. Comments?
Old July 2, 2000, 05:17 PM   #2
jfrancis

No, you weren't being unfair. This shooter was clearly trying to gain a competitive advantage by having a practice run. The fact that the guns were different or of a different caliber is irrelevant IMO.

John Francis
Old July 2, 2000, 08:23 PM   #3
Ron Ankeny

Ned:

You were not out of line at all. The little club I shoot with would have never allowed the guy to shoot his "fun run" first. As you pointed out, he would have a practice run and he would be shooting warmed up too. There is no question, he would have a competitive advantage.
Old July 3, 2000, 07:47 AM   #4
motorep

Sounds like the other competitors are kind of buffaloed by this guy. A "practice" run will always give you a competitive advantage.You did the right thing,sounds like the guy's a d- uh, a Richard. DVC, motorep.

[This message has been edited by motorep (edited July 03, 2000).]
Old July 4, 2000, 10:52 AM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Thanks guys, I feel better now. New shooters sorta just watch and learn their etiquette and habits from the more experienced shooters. I felt there must have been something to my argument since he did change guns. But since everyone was just sorta shrugging their shoulders at me cause I was the only one to object. I wasn't sure if it was me and the 90+ degrees in the shade or no one else wanted to speak up.

Old July 7, 2000, 08:19 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

At most USPSA matches the "NO WHINING" or "WHINE AND I'LL KILL YOU" or "SHUT UP & SHOOT" rule is in effect (but you still did the right/correct/proper/I'd do it too thing).

Figure the guy is a dick and life will catch up with him.

DVC

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"