The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 1999, 01:30 AM   #1
mic007tfp

I just bought a Rem Police 870 with a 20" barrel. I wanted to get a longer barrel to shoot clays.

- Does anyone have suggestions for a good aftermarket barrel

- Or should I just go for another factory Remington barrel?

- Also, I have a C-More Red Dot, so do you know any barrels or good weaver mounts that would accomodate my Red Dot?

Thanks!

------------------
You're gettin' ready to blow? I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' motherf**ker, motherf**ker! Every time my fingers touch brain I'm "SUPERFLY T.N.T," I'm the "GUNS OF NAVARONE."

- Jules

Old June 10, 1999, 03:23 PM   #2
TTed

Remington barrels are reasonably priced enough that I'd probably get a Remington 28" barrel with Remchoke choke tubes. Whatever you do, make sure you get a barrel with choke tubes.
Old June 10, 1999, 03:52 PM   #3
chucko

Mossberg also makes barrels for the Rem 870's you can see them at http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/pricebarrels.htm and scroll to the bottom of the page.

I bought one of thier 18.5" parkerized cylinder bore barrels and have been quite happy with it.

But for the longer barrels, I agree with TTed, stay with the Remington barrels with removable chokes.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by chucko (edited June 10, 1999).]
Old June 23, 1999, 07:08 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Remington makes all of mossbergs barrels (shotguns), so buy the cheapest you can find. Make sure it has interchangeable chokes. Also check the type of finish on the barrel, some have bluing and some have the parkerized finish, both will work ok but if looks are important this could be a problem. Also check the chamber length, as some have 2 3/4" and some 3".

Depending on the clay sport you choose, get a 28" or 30" barrel. The 30" is good for trap and the 28 is a good universal choice for Skeet and Sporting.