The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 18, 2012, 07:58 AM   #26
cannonfire

Well it looks like they are trying to add a 5 cent per bullet tax in Chicago.

Click here for article

The article is not very good as it talks more about the other tax hike proposals in Chicago but here is the only line that is in the article in regards to the bullet tax.

Quote:
And she’s calling for a nickel tax on the sale of every bullet.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Stressfire

Quote:
Well it looks like they are trying to add a 5 cent per bullet tax in Chicago.
Sounds like that Chris Rock bit where he recommends making bullets cost $5000 apiece - that way when someone gets shot, you know they deserved it
Old October 18, 2012, 09:36 AM   #28
sigcurious

If that goes through the few LGS's in Cook are in serious trouble. $2.50 extra for a standard box of 50, and around $25 extra for a bulk box of .22s. Hopefully the few owners will be able to rally support against it as it would likely put enormous strain on their businesses.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:15 AM   #29
Ronbert

What would the penalty be for bullet smuggling?

It just looks like another burden on local gunshops and, as usual, won't actually help anything they profess to be trying to solve.

A tax on every inch of pants waistline in excess of that needed to hold one's pants up would be more effective in curbing crime.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:28 PM   #30
Stressfire

Quote:
What would the penalty be for bullet smuggling?
Probably the same as tax evasion
Old October 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #31
BarryLee

I wonder if this would apply to internet purchases? Imagine buying a thousand rounds of target ammo and paying an extra fifty bucks!
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 18, 2012, 04:34 PM   #32
sigcurious

They could attempt to enforce(nearly impossible) a use tax for internet purchases, but other wise they can't charge a sales tax on things bought out of the county.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:41 PM   #33
drail

I think it would make more sense for the City Of Chicago and Cook County to be required to pay the citizens a "violence tax" for doing such a lousy job of protecting them.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:43 AM   #34
Luger_carbine

Cook County gun tax passed

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,4428803.story

I think its interesting that even the Chicago Tribune characterizes it as a form of gun control:

Quote:
The county that includes Chicago approved a tax on firearms on Friday to help pay healthcare costs from gun violence, making it what is believed to be the first major U.S. metropolitan area to enact such a levy as a form of gun control.
It's time to call Alan Gura.

In the meantime I heard that the NRA finally got paid by Chicago and the other suburb that joined it in fighting McDonald:

http://www.calgunlaws.com/nra-recove...related-cases/

I'd say they're gluttons for punishment, but it's not their money they're losing, so the taxpayers are the ones being "punished".
Old November 4, 2012, 11:31 PM   #35
GTOne

So basically, Chicago rings the death knell for all Cook county gun shops(I have no idea how many there are.). I'm not sure how that will get them any revenue.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:14 AM   #36
sigcurious

Out of the few I can think of in the area, only 2 are in Cook County for sure. One of those may not be open much longer anyway as they recently got fined a huge amount for OSHA violations on their range.

I think there are also a handful of non-stocking FFLs in Cook county.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:41 AM   #37
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot86 View Post

In Illinois they just passed an additional $1.00 a pack Cigarette tax; They just upped the tax on Soda a year or so ago; they also just signed a "pole tax" on strip clubs too.... constitutional or not they already have MANY taxes here that target specific products.
None of those (except maybe the pole tax) involve a constitutional right.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old November 5, 2012, 01:52 PM   #38
Patriot86

Quote:
None of those (except maybe the pole tax) involve a constitutional right.
One could argue that taxing strip clubs is taxing free speech. But I digress; the point I was trying to make is that the State of Illinois has no problem taxing specific items, related to a right or not. No doubt this will go through the courts, I honestly think if this passes muster or not will depend on the makeup of the SCOTUS by the time it arrives there.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:41 PM   #39
Hal

I've only been telling non-smokers this type of thing is headed your way for the last 20 years....

Welcome to the club.

Get ready for a $10. box of ammo with a $50 tax.

It IS in your future.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:57 PM   #40
NWPilgrim

Why not a got-caught-committing-a-crime tax? Shocking, I know.

While it is a small amount on a $500 purchase, I'm sure a lot of gun shop business will go to out of county shops on the principle.

How is the economic health of Chicago these days? Is it declining or robust? Seems they try hard to drive away sane people, so I would imagine it has got to affect their tax base. Not sure if this is really primarily a gun control measure or "we are so desperate for tax revenue to pay off our mushroom cloud of debt, let's find another tax to levy!"
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #41
Lordy123

So they've officially added $25 dollars to the cost a a new gun in Cook county, when you factor in the 9% sales tax as well...

Glad to be north of the border!
Old April 2, 2013, 02:37 PM   #42
Lordy123

Here's the link:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...200856781.html
Old April 3, 2013, 07:40 AM   #43
Patriot86

The insanity is the only people who are going to pay this tax are people who either really love the couple of gun shops in Cook County, The uninformed and people who simply can't afford to drive the extra half hour or so to the many gun shops in Lake, Kane, McHenry, Dupage and other counties.

Then again the question becomes how informed is the general gun buying public; will people even notice the extra $25 fee? Afterall there are over 30 million gun owners but only 3 million NRA members. Its actually scary how many gun owners I have met, my brother in law included who just have no clue what kind of attacks are constantly being levied against the 2A.

Don't worry though, just like with cars Cook County will then start "demanding" that other counties collect the tax against Cook County residents.
Old April 3, 2013, 02:38 PM   #44
Lordy123

I can't imagine owning a gunshop in cook county, that would just be madness.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:31 PM   #45
Patriot86

Shore Gallery in Lincolnwood (just outside the city, on the North side) seems to do pretty well. They sell to a lot of LEO's , I must see a CPD officer there every time I visit. LEO's and those who don't know much about guns will still go to places inside cook county.

I feel bad for Cabelas, they are 10 mins from a place called GAT Guns which is in DuPage County. GAT has a larger selection, similar pricing and no $25.00 tax.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:37 PM   #46
Lordy123

I've always wanted to check that place out, its only an hour and change away from me, but I don't have a FOID...
Old April 3, 2013, 10:59 PM   #47
62coltnavy

You don't get it, do you? The purpose of this tax was not to raise money, it was to drive county gun stores out of business because they are no longer competitive. I suspect it will work. But then again, that fact will do nothing to reduce crime or gun violence in Cook County--as it is, The COP and the Mayor complain about all of the guns in Chicago being imported from outside city limits.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:09 PM   #48
Patriot86

Quote:
You don't get it, do you? The purpose of this tax was not to raise money, it was to drive county gun stores out of business because they are no longer competitive. I suspect it will work. But then again, that fact will do nothing to reduce crime or gun violence in Cook County--as it is, The COP and the Mayor complain about all of the guns in Chicago being imported from outside city limits.

It might work for some of the shops as I pointed out, but it might not. If shops itemize it as a "tax" on the bill of sale...yeah people will notice. If its just built into the price of the gun then most people won't bat an eyelash. Are you going to drive an extra 1/2 hour to save $25.00 on a 700 or 800 dollar item? Probably not. Toni may have thought this will drive gun shops out of business but it won't have much luck doing that either.