The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2009, 02:57 PM   #1
sob (sweet ole bill)

New to crimped primers

Am new to reloading .223. Have a case of Norinco Chinese and have run a bunch thru my min1 14. So far all is well.
Today, I tried my LeeLoader Kit (new last week) and broke the decap pin on the first case.
My Questions are;
1 where can I find a heavier decapping pia?
2 What needs to be done to the primer pocket so I can reload still using Small rifle primers?
Old June 18, 2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Pocketfisherman

RCBS and Hornady both make universal decrimping dies that should handle the crimped primers. After you get it out, you have to get rid of the crimp. You can do that with either a reamer, or by swaging it out. The latter requires a press, reaming can be done by hand.
Old June 18, 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
jepp2

Lee also makes a nice universal decapping die. If you encounter resistance, the rod raises instead of breaking (useful if you make a mistake and try to deprime a Berdan case).

I've had great results using the RCBS Primer pocket swager combo.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018791210946a.shtml

But be warned, most people swear at this swager. I swear by it and have had great results with it.
Old June 21, 2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Falcon5NZ

Not to sound like a smart arse but are you 100% sure it's not Berdan primed
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old June 21, 2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Arquebus

I'm with Falcoln, a lot of Chi-Com .223 ammo is berdan. Picked some empties up at the range the other week, without even considering the type of primer ran one into my decapping die & broke the pin.....shone a light down the neck & saw two holes, not the one I was expecting!

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).
Old June 21, 2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Bboomer

The reload bench is not complete without a Primer Pocket swagger. I use the RCBS and am content with it.

If I were to have thousands of crimped brass using the RCBS would be a chore in itself. I've never used one but word is, that the Dillon swagger is tops.
Old June 21, 2009, 02:15 PM   #7
DaveInPA

Nothing even comes close to the Dillon Super Swage. It's 100% worth the money.
Old June 21, 2009, 02:54 PM   #8
snuffy

I bought the RCBS primer crimp swager, it doesn't do the job! The radius on the punch is too small, it doesn't move the crimp far enough to make insertion of a new primer possible, without extra effort.

Here's what I use;
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=617234

I use it in conjunction with the RCBS trim mate case prep center.

Holding the case against the cutter while the cutter turns slowly in the trim mate, removes ALL of the crimp.

You're probably trying to deprime berdan primed cases anyway. Lee loader kit, is that the hammer powdered hand tool?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?