The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 20, 2019, 08:39 AM   #26
agtman

Quote:
G&G #B733-G20 fits Glock 20, 21; S&W 4586.
That sounds very generic, and the examples listed are really only the start ...

Any holster that fits a S&W 4586, which was a 4.25" DAO 3rd Gen auto, will also fit any other 4.25" gun in the 45XX-series (4566; 4576) or the 10XX-series (1076; 1066; 1086).

The only problem might be if the holster's design was somehow too tight-fitting to accommodate the 3rd Gen frame-mounted decocking levers (4576; 1076) or the slide-mounted ones (1066; 4566), and thus truly fits only DAO models, but I doubt it.
Old February 22, 2019, 10:52 AM   #27
Dave T

Most all of the "generic" holsters listed and described here will hold various guns and allow them to be carried. Where they fail is when a fast presentation is required, as in a self defense scenario.

Acquiring a solid grip while the gun is still holstered is required. The loose, generic fit may make you fumble the draw, slowing down your response and/or adversely affecting accuracy.

YMMV,
Dave
Old February 22, 2019, 04:23 PM   #28
jmr40

I REALLY like these. They don't fit every semi but most of them work very well. The belt loops do a great job of holding them close to the body. Guns are securely held in place, yet come out easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Opera...halanx+holster

They make them in IWB, OWB, left, right, and a few other colors. This is the more compact version in a lefty

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Opera...halanx+holster

Winston Churchill
Old February 28, 2019, 12:49 AM   #29
roscoe

I use a 'Uni' holster and it fits various handguns surprisingly well. Mine is nylon but they make a leather one as well. I had originally been apprehensive about an open-muzzle holster, but it has never been an issue.

Last edited by roscoe; February 28, 2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old February 28, 2019, 02:03 AM   #30
kmw1954

I have a nylon TAIGEAR holster that came with a Taurus PT92C I purchased used and it is alright I guess. Cannot really judge it as I do not CCW anything, so. It does also fit my Large frame Witness as well.
Old February 28, 2019, 08:57 AM   #31
CajunBass

I've used an inexpensive "Bulldog" holster for I suppose a "medium auto" for years. Carried both a Ruger LC9s, and a Smith and Wesson shield.

I've also used a belly band at times. Doesn't get much more generic than those.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 28, 2019, 12:09 PM   #32

I use a RangeMaxx nylon holster for 4.5'' barreled semi-auto pistols as a ''car-only holster'' that I can clip on to, and off of, my seat belt (near appendix) while driving to provide me better access to the sidearm that I am carrying (usually a Glock 17, less often a Glock 19).

So far the arrangement has been a good one.
Old February 28, 2019, 01:32 PM   #33
Elkins45

I have one of those generic gun show clip on IWB holsters I use when I carry my 10mm S&W or Glock when hiking. It keeps the gun from falling out of my pants and that’s all I ask of it.
Old February 28, 2019, 07:12 PM   #34
reteach

I've been following this conversation. When I read "one-size-fits-all" I was hoping for someone to show me a truly generic holster. I have holsters specifically made for certain guns. I wouldn't use a generic holster for concealed carry. I have used a Yaqui-type slide. Those are good and have their place.

But I would like a simple, leather, inexpensive holster that would accommodate a medium revolver and a medium semi. A scabbard. Suitable for walking to the target and back or for strolling around my friend's 60 acres. It would need a simple strap to hold the gun securely since it wouldn't "fit" like a purpose-made holster.

Has anyone seen that holster?
Old March 1, 2019, 07:12 PM   #35
Bartholomew Roberts

The only generic holster I still use is a MOLLE attachable holster on my chest rig with a thumb strap. As a general rule I hate generic holsters. I’ve had leather and nylon variations of the Yaqui slide. They conceal the gun poorly and the grip tends to always be at a different position every time you grab it which makes a good master grip difficult.
Old March 3, 2019, 10:28 AM   #36
4V50 Gary
Staff

I dislike generic holsters. Sloppy fit means greater drag (for me) and slower draw.
Old March 10, 2019, 09:58 AM   #37
chaim

I used to primarily use purpose built holsters that are made for specific guns. Recently, due to a terrific clearance sale, I decided to give the Versamax Commander (2018 model) a try. It is one of those one size fits many type deals (3 different sizes to fit every gun on the market). It isn't even an IWB where the belt and waistband help with retention. It is terrific! I like it enough, that I'm considering buying a couple more models and sizes of Versamax holsters and may even go to them as my primary holster in the future.
Old March 10, 2019, 11:16 AM   #38
Wag

With regard to the Galco belly band I mentioned earlier, after 10 years of using it and loving it, it finally wore out. I just ordered a Comfort Tac to replace it. Will post first impressions when it arrives later this week.

--Wag--