The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 10, 2019, 09:38 AM   #1
std7mag

Why not to take your daughter to the outdoor show.

This involves a possible build, but with a story.

Took my daughter and her boyfriend to the Harrisburg Outdoor Show. Saw/talked with some vendors that I know. Cutting Edge Bullets, APA Archery, Peterson Cartridge, and of course E.R,Shaw.

While talking with the guys from E.R.Shaw, all of a sudden I hear "ooohhh, Daddy!!".... (translation.. I know I'm 21, but I'm gonna play on your heartstrings and have you buy me something that I don't want to spend my own money on).

So there she is pointing at a stainless bull barrel, with helical fluting. The flutes have been painted purple. (her favorite color, naturally).

Unfortunately, Boyds Gunstocks display is set up not far also, where she sees a purple ATOne stock. (you see where this is going, right?)

"Dad, you can build me a rifle with that barrel, and this stock!!, I have a birthday, and Christmas coming up!!".

Thank goodness she doesn't know about optics, as she blew right past the EuroOptics counter without batting an eye.

So instead, i proposed that she buy the materials, and I would help HER build her own rifle.

She's planning on an E.R.Shaw, 26" stainless bull barrel in 223 Wylde with the purple Helical fluting, and 11 Degree recessed crown. Put on a Savage action, with a purple Boyds ATOne stock, stainless EGW 20 MOA solid base.

Just waiting for her to see the cost of good optics. I'm sure I'll hear "Daddyyyy!".

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 10, 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
taylorce1

I feel your pain, except my daughter isn't interested in gear. My daughter is interested in what she can put in the crosshairs next. She now has euro mounts from two pronghorn, six whitetail, and one mule deer, and has her sights set on a bull elk. Luckily I live in a state where she has a chance of getting an elk this next season if the draw goes her way. She's hunted for cows once on a second choice tag but she's all about the antlers right now.
Old February 10, 2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Goatwhiskers

You in a heap o'trouble, boy. GW
Old February 10, 2019, 11:49 AM   #4
2wheelwander

Having a 16 year old daughter who loves to deer hunt, I heard all of this in her voice!
Old February 10, 2019, 12:10 PM   #5
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
"ooohhh, Daddy!!".... (translation.. I know I'm 21, but I'm gonna play on your heartstrings and have you buy me something that I don't want to spend my own money on).

I darn near spit my coffee out on that one. Must be a daughter universal trait.
Old February 10, 2019, 01:19 PM   #6
kenny53

Love the story. I have been in the same spot. It should be fun doing a build with your daughter.
Old February 10, 2019, 02:18 PM   #7
Pahoo

In you heart, you know you did the right thing.

Quote:
Why not to take your daughter to the outdoor show.
Absolutely no reason not to and that train has already left. ….

Let us not forget that our kids the best work we will ever do !!!

You can always put a value on "Stuff" but not on blessings. ……

Be Save !!!
Old February 10, 2019, 06:45 PM   #8
std7mag

True, memories cannot be bought.

After further discussion...
It has become apparent that she wishes to shoot some competitions from the bench.
"What do you mean i have to lay on the ground to shoot 600 yards!!?"

So i had to explain to her, the competitions at the range i belong, to shoot from the bench is 1,000 yards. 223 is out. And need a rest and different stock.

It would appear that while you can't buy memories, i need a better paying job.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 11, 2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Wendyj

I’m with you. Try that with 3 boys that like to hunt. They are old enough to buy their own now. They have given me 13 grand kids. At least 10 are gun crazy. Most are in the 22 stages now but a few are up in my 223 and 243s. Won’t be long.
Old February 11, 2019, 04:00 PM   #10
Hawg

Good times, good memories in the making.
Old February 11, 2019, 04:20 PM   #11
SmellyShooter

As a new dad, I eagerly await the opportunity to get my son and any other kids into shooting. I'd sure be proud if I had a daughter one day like all of y'all's.

-me
Old February 12, 2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Pahoo

One firearm for each...... Right !!!

I raised three daughters and we have shared a number of range-times. They blessed us with seven grandchildren and only one male has been bitten by the Gun-Bug. ..….

To date, I have gifted him with three firearms. Fortunately the rest have not shown an interest and depending on how you look at it, that's good or bad. By the way, you might think that it stops with one firearm request per grandchild but it doesn't seem to work out that way; Does it ???

Be Safe !!!
Old February 24, 2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Auto5

LOL! No matter how old she gets, she will always be Daddy's little girl. Once she teams up with your future grandkids, you wont stand a chance!
Old February 24, 2019, 08:42 PM   #14
reynolds357

Thankfully you didn't stoo at the Lilja and McMillan tables.