The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 22, 2019, 06:38 AM   #1
Mobuck

224 Valkyrie chuckle

I was chatting with a local guy about shooting last evening. He commented that he'd splurged and bought a Savage MSR in 224 V (his first semi-auto center fire).
I asked what he thought of it and he began telling me about shooting at some stuff randomly scattered across a large area of open pasture land. He said he was shooting "right on" at 600-700 yards but had to start holding over at 800-900 and held his hands about 8-10" apart. I'm pretty sure that even IF he was zeroed at 600 yards, more than 8-10" of additional hold over would be required for 900 yards(A LOT MORE).
This isn't the first time the guy has commented about shooting 1/2 mile +/- and now I'm even more skeptical of those ranges.
Old March 22, 2019, 07:39 AM   #2
stagpanther

Quote:
I was chatting with a local guy about shooting last evening. He commented that he'd splurged and bought a Savage MSR in 224 V (his first semi-auto center fire).
I asked what he thought of it and he began telling me about shooting at some stuff randomly scattered across a large area of open pasture land. He said he was shooting "right on" at 600-700 yards but had to start holding over at 800-900 and held his hands about 8-10" apart. I'm pretty sure that even IF he was zeroed at 600 yards, more than 8-10" of additional hold over would be required for 900 yards(A LOT MORE).
This isn't the first time the guy has commented about shooting 1/2 mile +/- and now I'm even more skeptical of those ranges.
Was he talking about the 224 manbun?

I've also heard talk and there's a video someplace on utube where the guys swear by the awesome 1000+ yds performance of their valks. Banging gongs like it was nothing at 300 yds past transonic. I don't doubt though the grouping/accuracy dispersion can be HIGHLY variable depending on twist, velocity and bullet form factor in the valk.
Old March 23, 2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Metal god

Yeah it's like 7+ feet of hold over with a 77gr smk at 2900fps at the muzzle and 6+ feet with a 90gr smk at 2600fps . Now at 8 and 9 hundred yards what looks like just a little hold over may very well be a lot . He may have just thought he was barely holding over but was holding quite a bit higher .

I know I was stunned how little hold over I need shooting 9mm and 357 at 100yds , almost none for me . I thought I'd be holding over of at least a foot above the target but hold at the top of a 12" gong and "GONG" . Which at 100yds pretty much feels/looks like your holding dead on with a handgun .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .