The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 17, 2019, 05:26 PM   #1
kilotanker22

DPMS Oracle

What's the word on these rifles? I know there are in the same price range as the M&P 15 Sport. How are they built? Quality Barrel?

I am considering taking one of these in on a trade...
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 17, 2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Theohazard

They tend to work well for most owners. But keep in mind that in order to keep the price point low, DPMS made a bunch of compromises compared to what’s found on higher-end rifles (as many budget AR companies do). Those compromises might affect reliability and will certainly affect durability compared to most models at a higher price point. Personally, I’d take the Sport, S&W doesn’t make as many compromises with that rifle.

Here’s an article on a complete tear-down of the Oracle. You can see where DPMS cut corners to keep the price low:

https://primaryandsecondary.com/auto...racle-5-56-mm/
Old March 17, 2019, 09:51 PM   #3
kymasabe

My experience is they're not as well made as s&w m&p, Ruger ar-556 or even most PSA rifles.
Old March 18, 2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Charlie98

I got one on a trade, ran 1000 rounds through it last Christmas. My observations... it's a decent rifle at it's price point, it is not a Colt, et al, however. I thought the barrel was mediocre. It did run 100% with factory ammos.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old March 18, 2019, 10:01 AM   #5
BWM

It is a good knock around gun one that you throw in the truck 98% if the people that has a AR will never shoot it enough to wear it out if they take care of it. It takes 1000,s of round to wear it out if they do not HOT loads in it it will lose some on the accurate but not bad good luck
Old March 18, 2019, 10:21 AM   #6
RAfiringline

I bought a pencil barrel oracle a few yrs ago, I've put 6108 rds. through it, mostly Tula 55g.

With Federal gold ammo, at around 300 rds., I got 1.5 moa, with Tula about 2x that. After 5000 rds, the moa was close to the same as after 300.

Only 1 stoppage with a squib round, totally ammo fault not rifle.

As I see it, they probably save money on QC and maybe materials. If 1 in 500 more expensive ARs is a lemon, maybe 1 in 250 DPMS ARs are.
Old March 18, 2019, 04:18 PM   #7
imashooter

I have several ARs. Bought my Oracle about 3 years ago new. Has always functioned well and is as accurate as my others. Interestingly, the upper to lower fit is the best of all my ARs. No light visible through the seam. Yet the pins require little effort. It is what it is. I think either gun will be fine for you. I do know that it appears DPMS sells more parts for builds or replacement than all other major manufacturers combined. They can't be that crappy.
Old March 18, 2019, 09:55 PM   #8
riffraff

The nice thing about S&W is the warranty, I dont think there's anything great about them though - rather have an Aero. No idea on DPMS.