The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2019, 05:19 PM   #51
Nanuk

Smith 640, offhand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180922_132017.jpg (99.6 KB, 36 views)
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 9, 2019, 05:37 PM   #52
WC145

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
just wait till you start moving around when you are shooting.

Keep up the good work and don't worry so much about measuring your groups. Just hit the target within an 8" square and be glad. Over time it will get better all by itself. Honestly, my groups have always been a mess and it doesn't bother me one bit. The contest is not likely ever going to be "who has the tightest groups". The bottom line that in a SD event, a hit on target is a hit on target.
Accuracy doesn't get better by itself. If all you ever try to do is hit anywhere in an 8" area then that's as good as you're going to get. That's fine until "good enough" isn't good enough.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Last edited by WC145; March 9, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old March 9, 2019, 05:45 PM   #53
GarandTd

Quote:
Next time say 50 yd so we know it's internet worthy.
I'll try harder next time.
Old March 9, 2019, 05:59 PM   #54
FLJim

Quote:
For “any” pistol to be able to shoot 1-1/2” groups at 25’ in less than ideal ambient conditions, you’d better be carrying a Ransom Rest in your range bag!
Nah. Just have to be a very good shot. One of my best friends could do it from a rest, no problem.

Quote:
I have never shot any pistol or revolver that can do that even from a bench rest.
The friend noted above once did it with my P239 SAS, which would be like doing it with a DA revolver, from a rest at 25 yards.

I scored high enough to medal in handgun metal silhouette with a 4" bbl. service revolver, open sights, back in the day. (The scorers couldn't believe their eyes. "You did that with what?!?!") A couple times, if memory serves.

You damn betcha my Sig P210 Target could do that day in, day out, with a capable shooter. (I don't know as I'm that shooter, any more. Eyes aren't what they once were.)

From the groups I shot with it its first day out, I suspect my Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced could do it, too.

Quote:
I'm not much of a paper puncher but I can hit Coke cans at 25 yards more often than not. One hand no prop.
I might still be able to do that, with a little practice. Problem is: Nowhere halfway near, here abouts, to do that any more

Quote:
I used to have a .38 special I could bust gallon milk jugs with at 100 yards so don't say a pistol isn't capable.
Used to be I could do that with my revolver. I would not be willing to bet I still could.
Old March 12, 2019, 06:13 AM   #55
darkgael

Quote:
You damn betcha my Sig P210 Target could do that day in, day out, with a capable shooter.
You got that right.
Old March 12, 2019, 07:51 AM   #56
Tactical Jackalope

GarandTd, what's up with the electric tape?

My 25yd group looks similar with the P30L. I wish it was ti....Better.
Old March 12, 2019, 08:32 AM   #57
darkgael

Targets...capability of the gun

The attached picture is a five shot group. It was shot by a friend of mine with an iron sighted 1911 at 25 yards. One hand unsupported. I saw it done. I shot a much larger group on the point next to him. Good group but in the wrong spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CAECD204-9AD8-48A0-ADC3-E449C4E00E3A.jpeg (29.5 KB, 30 views)
Old March 12, 2019, 09:14 AM   #58
GarandTd

TJ, the electrical tape is covering the serial #. Easier than editing the photo afterward. The K2P has a serial # on the left side of the frame and on the barrel locking block on the right side at the ejection port.
Old March 12, 2019, 09:22 AM   #59
Tactical Jackalope

darkgael, you might want to have him check his rear right. I was hitting all left and I never do that. Ever.

When I got home and cleaned my gun I saw that the rear sight was off. Tight groupings, otherwise.

GarandTd, ah..Makes sense. It was reminding me of some of the SF dudes and their bicycle inner-tube that they'd put around their Glocks. I thought it was some high speed trick I didn't know about yet.

That's like when I'd put a piece of cardboard to cover up my license plate for car photos.

My 25yd hits with the Kriss Vector are one ragged hole. But shoulder fired weapons are known for that.
Old March 13, 2019, 08:26 AM   #60
darkgael

Sights

Quote:
darkgael, you might want to have him check his rear right.
He did that for the next string. All 10s.
Old March 13, 2019, 11:52 AM   #61
Tactical Jackalope

He adjusted the rear sight? So it was off? Nice.