The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 14, 2018, 07:04 AM   #1
Mobuck

Giving up on the HPA

Time's up and I'm done--it's not going to happen.
Have started trying to get 2-3 Form 1 going IF the rest of the trust can manage to cooperate.
How are the SilencerCo kiosks working out? I have 2 SilencerCo dealers within 75 miles and hoped to get the info input that way. At $35 per Form 1, it's easier than getting everyone to cooperate for multiple applications.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:42 AM   #2
9x19

These days with 41F in the book, I'd do a separate trust for each form 1 or 4 I submitted and I would be the only trustee initially.

Adding removing trustees after approval should be easier than having them on the trust before hand.

Good luck.

I was fortunate to get everything I wanted (four 1s, and four 4s) done before 41F so haven't had the urge to buy/build anything else.
Old July 15, 2018, 01:30 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
Mobuck Time's up and I'm done--it's not going to happen.
Have started trying to get 2-3 Form 1 going IF the rest of the trust can manage to cooperate.
As noted above, do a separate trust for each NFA firearm.

Quote:
How are the SilencerCo kiosks working out?
Terrible.
Mainly because Silencerco doesn't have kiosks.
Silencer Shop does and they are spectacular.

Quote:
I have 2 SilencerCo dealers within 75 miles and hoped to get the info input that way.
Silencerco and Silencer Shop are two wholly different companies. One manufactures silencers, the other is a distributor that sells them.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 15, 2018, 10:37 PM   #4
Mobuck

Well, I guess I've been corrected.
Unfortunately, I've already got a well laid out trust specifically intended to keep the NFA items securely in the family when I die. Setting up individual trusts for each stamp seems to defeat that intent.
Old July 16, 2018, 01:52 PM   #5
zeke

You had more patience than I ever dreamed of, and likely at it a bit longer. Made multiple (suppressors/sbr's) purchases right before law change, and put in single person trust. Same intent, but also to ease transition of firearms as well as NFA items.

Am not likely to add any more NFA items, but am progressing to add beneficiaries and and a trustee. Being recently retired, not likely to purchase any more NFA items anytime soon. If I just had to add another item, it would not be included in trust.
Old July 16, 2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Mobuck

I intend to stamp at least 3 more Form 1's. I've got the design pretty well figured out.
Old July 17, 2018, 06:32 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
Mobuck Well, I guess I've been corrected.
Unfortunately, I've already got a well laid out trust specifically intended to keep the NFA items securely in the family when I die. Setting up individual trusts for each stamp seems to defeat that intent.
Not at all. And it may make it easier.

In fact Silencer Shop offers their "Single Shot Trust" that doesn't require a notary. When you purchase the Single Shot, Silencer Shop will name the trust after the serial# of your silencer. They will submit the Form 4 to ATF with only one name on it....yours. Meaning only your prints and photo are required.

After the stamp is returned and you take possession of that silencer, you can add as many members to each Single Shot Trust as you desire. They must not otherwise be prohibited from possessing firearms. No fingerprints, no photos, no background checks, no additional wait time while the FBI runs BG checks on your ten trust members and no delay getting everyone rounded up to get fingerprints/photos/documents.

You can list certain members on some trusts and not on others.
For example:
Your $400 Dead Air Mask? You, your wife, son, daughter, next door neighbor and two co workers.
Your $2000 AAC Cyclops? Only you and your family are members

Trusts can be amended to add/subtract members at any time. Having a single firearm in its own trust makes selling that silencer easy. Take buyers $$$, add him to the trust and give him authority to remove you. As the trust remains the legal possessor, no transfer has occurred and no Form 4 is required.

If you are the only responsible person listed on your trust, your property would still pass on to your heirs. (as would NFA firearms possessed as an individual).

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE