The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2001, 01:12 PM   #1
BKinzey

Dissapointing Decelerator Pad

Bought a Pre-Fit Decelerator Recoil Pad System by Pachmayr for my new 870 Synthetic. Funny how a pad, pad adaptor and 4 screws make a "system" but it doesn't matter because it doesn't fit.

I called Pachmayr and they seemed unaware of any fit problems. I have current model 870 HD Syn, IE with key lock built into the safety, and Pachmayr surmised Remington may have changed their mold.

The Remington pad is a one piece with a step down so approx 5/16" fits inside the stock. It is quite a bit stiffer than the Pachmayer and a little thicker. It seems the Remington is molded over a hard, solid plastic frame while the Pachmayr frame has been skeletonized.

The fit of the adaptor plate is odd. The top and bottom (toe? Sorry I'm not up on my stock nomenclature) seem like they were meant to fit inside the stock but the plate is too wide, it reaches to the outer edges of the stock so quite a bit of Dremel, grinding or shaving would be required. I would guess the best way would be to mount the adaptor to the stock and slowly grind away until it fit. Unfortunately the mounting holes are in slightly different places on the Pachmayr and the original holes might interfere with new ones but in any event causes another step to be carefully placed.

After all this the fit won't be as nice or clean as the Remington pad which leaves the question if Remington can make a rubber pad which fits extremely well why can't Pachmayr?

I have to send mine back anyway, the adaptor pad has two pressed in nuts, mine is missing one.

Anybody else get a better fit or have the same problems? What was your solution?
Old June 19, 2001, 01:51 PM   #2
CoyDog

I once bought a pre-fit pad for a Browning A-bolt that was off by 1/8".

I gave up on them and have since gone to Kick-Eez pads on all my hard kickers. I have a gunsmith grind them for a perfect fit. They are softer than Decelerators, but are a bit more susceptable to damage.
Good Shooting, CoyDog
Old June 19, 2001, 03:40 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My bet is it's Remington's problem more than Pachmyer's. It's also possible the wrong one was packed and sent.

Is there a problem with the Remington pad, or do you just like the Decelerator better? The standard trestle pad is a good one, tho the toe needs rounding.The toe is the bottom point of the butt when the shotgun is mounted. The heel is the top.

I've had my suspicions about prefit pads. There's a couple 870s here with the standard ones, and they look really funny if I interchange them.

I do like the Decelerators,but there's other choices. Over on trapshooting.com, they sing the praises of Gooey pads. Kickeez has a following, but I lack direct experience with them. I note the custom stock and shotgun people like Kolar and Wenig will fit either.

And, it's not like the world is empty of 870 stocks, pads and good gunsmiths, tho the last is certainly not real common.
Old June 19, 2001, 04:36 PM   #4
Gary H

I thought that their pad was for a wood stock.
Old June 19, 2001, 04:44 PM   #5
BKinzey

This is a HD shotgun I'm building, I don't have lots of experience but the first time I took this out and ran about 30 shells through it I got 2 bruises, one at the heel and one at the toe. I plan to try to get the wife to use it since it's our main HD firearm and if it kicks she's liable to put it down. I got some recommendations for pads on this board and the Decelerator seemed to be the choice for me. After this hassle I'm considering just keeping the original. What did you mean by "rounding the toe?" I noticed, placed on a flat surface, the toe is a little higher than the rest or do you mean round the end of the toe or both?
Old June 19, 2001, 05:50 PM   #6
Gary H

870 HD Hogue CompStock

I installed the CompStock on my 870 and really like it. First, this is both a rear stock and forearm. Both pieces are made of a tacky material that you can really grip. Second, it comes with all the spacers needed to get LOP just right. Third, it has a mechanical recoil reduction system inside of the stock, which greatly reduces felt recoil without reducing the connection to the gun. This system simple spreads the recoil over a greater period of time. I should mention that for my 870, the Hogue unit provided a really great balance to my gun and it is much easier to point.

If interested, you can use TFL's search.
Old June 19, 2001, 06:37 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Rounding the toe means taking that point down so it doesn't dig into one's chest,BKinzey. I use a belt sander, and it can be a cut and try process, so to speak. Sand a little, try it,sand some more.

A coupla things....

A riot style 870 weighs as little as 6 lbs, 10 oz. With heavy loads,bad stock fit, and not perfect form, it can get painful. Take it one thing at a time....

Form, there's some old threads in the archives that you may find helpful.

Fit, other old threads, but for a multi user HD tool,I'd set the length for the smallest shooter and let others adapt. Even a behemoth like me can work with a 12 1/2" pull like the one on the kids' Youth Express. HD shotguns are shot more like rifles anyway, so stocking them as such is not a bad idea.

Next, lighten the load, especially if you're not used to a 12 ga. Light trap loads make good training tools, and the newer Reduced Recoil buck like the Remington mentioned in another thread or the Estate SWAT 00 load is easier on the shooter.

And, adding a bit of weight helps. A two round mag extension adds maybe 7 oz, and takes the recoil mule down to a pony. A few oz in the stock, like a couple of rolls of nickels, some shot,etc, secured so that it doesn't shift will keep the piece closer to balanced and cut the kick some more.

And, maybe the most important part of this that I can urge you towards,get some good training, practice a lot and be ready to ask questions. We've some knowledgeable folks here,and many are willing to help someone along.

A caveat:

Despite years of effort on my part, Wonderful Wife and the kids do not like shotguns. They have no problem with other weapons, and HD alternatives are available and ready to use if needed. Be ready to use Plan B if your SO decides shotguns are not her thing...
Old June 19, 2001, 07:52 PM   #8
johnbt

Remington does change their stock dimensions.

I've posted this tale before. I bought an Express Magnum in 1993 and a pre-fit Pachmyar pad a few years ago. The pad was advertised as being for the Exp. Mag., but it was way too big. By following the instructions that came with the pad I put one layer of masking tape around the butt and hand sanded the pad to a very nice fit. I won't do it again because it was too messy and took a loong time. I have sanders, but I didn't want to practice on my gun.

I was really surprised to see that the original Remington pad was a thin piece of rubber stretched over a hollow plastic box that's one-piece with what passes for a spacer.

The new pad was a major improvement.

John
Old June 20, 2001, 11:53 PM   #9
Bullmoose

I ordered a couple of the pre-fit Decelerators a couple of years back and returned them for the std pads when they didn't fit at all. If I am going to have to fit the 'fitted' ones, I'll go with the regular pads and fit them. The holes didn't even match on one of the pads.