The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2017, 10:59 AM   #1
FITASC

Best bullet/powder combo you've found for 9mm Glocks?

Starting to finally get to the point where I need to get some more 9mm bullets for my 26, 19, and 17 (along with a few other 9mms). This isn't for competition but SD practice.
I have, in the past, found them to prefer 124 gr bullets, and I have used Remington - both JHP and GS, Western NV/West Coast (now Xtreme), Berry's, and to a much lesser degree, a few others.
For powders, I have used: Universal, TiteGroup, TiteWad, Unique (long ago), Win231, GreenDot, Bullseye, and WST. Currently have Universal, TG, TW, GD and a little bit of 231 and WST left.

Looking at those powders, and knowing they will be used in those model Glocks, what 124 gr bullets - plated or jacketed - have you folks found to give you the best accuracy?

I'm an old cuss wearing bifocals and I find I do better at 7-10 yards by NOT looking at the front site, but rather by using my distance lenses to focus on the target. I guess 35+ years of shooting clay targets has that ingrained in me. If I focus on the front site and the target is blurry, my shooting is a lot worse. I am NOT talking about 1" ragged holes at 25 yards, but SD distances of 7-10 and 2-3" COM CONSISTENTLY. Still trying to find the best grip hold as well, but that's another thread.

Any bullet makers stand out given those parameters?

TIA
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 14, 2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Hammerhead

The Winchester 147 jhp and the Hornady 125/124 HAP/XTP were consistently accurate in several 9mm Glocks I owned.
Universal, HS-6, 7625, Titegroup are good.
Old October 14, 2017, 06:21 PM   #3
FITASC

Thanks!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 14, 2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

My go to load is 115 everglades FMJ over 4.7 grains of titegroup and a CCI s.p.p. Runs great in all my guns.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Tsquared

Precision Delta 124gr JHP with CFE-pistol is my most accurate load.

Bayou 135gr RN coated with CFE-pistol is my most accurate coated lead load

Rocky Mountain Reloading 115gr FMJ RNHB is my most accurate 115gr load - Bullseye powder

Plated bullets are plinkers for me. I cannot get the accuracy out of them that I get with jacketed and coated lead. I have tried.
Old October 14, 2017, 09:58 PM   #6
Papajoe222

4.0gr. Titegroup behind 124gr Hornady XTP 1.065COL.
I started loading this bullet with Titegroup as that is what's available here. I can't see any difference in accuracy between this load and Hornady's Custom 124gr XTP loads which I use for both GSSF matches an defense.
Old October 14, 2017, 11:51 PM   #7
kmw1954

I've only loaded with Berry's and Xtreme and can't truthfully state that I see any difference between either of those or factory loads. I find at least for me powder makes more of a difference than the projectile does.
Old October 16, 2017, 12:36 AM   #8
Marco Califo

I like Hornady XTP, all weights and calibers.
Have you noticed Berry's Hybrid Hollow-points? They price at around $12.68 per hundred, but you buy a tub of 250. They are a copy of Speer Gold Dots plated then swaged hollow point. https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-9mm-356-124gr-hhp
If you are going to use these for self defense, at night, or at indoor ranges, then I recommend different powders: Silhouette, or BE86 because they are flash suppressed. Best velocities are with Longshot.

Best powder for 9mm Glock is an oxymoron. My Glocks shoot all 9mm equally well. There is NOTHING gun specific about powders or bullets. Nothing, zero, nada, zip, nil.
What you need is desired velocity, desired bullet contruction, and flash suppressed or not. Some powders may burn "dirty", but that usually means you are running too low & slow. Higher pressires are needed for certain powders to burn cleaner.

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 16, 2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Add oxymoron