The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2017, 10:22 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

MK 14 EBRs to CMP?

Talk on and off for years of the MK 14s in their various configurations being shelved in favor of some sort of AR-10 type rifle. Any chance the M-14 derivatives could end up at CMP?
Old October 11, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Zip. The ATF decided, long ago, on their own without any legislation, that "Once an MG, always an MG."
"...in favor of some sort of AR-10 type rifle..." Wouldn't count on that happening either. The AR-10 and M-14 are contemporaries.
Old October 11, 2017, 06:55 PM   #3
rkbanet

Since they are select-fire rifles and have never been registered with the BATFE (the military is of course exempt) they are not transferable. The only waycould be released for sale is by an act of Congress. It is theoretically possible for them to be transferred to the ODCMP who could demil the receiver and reassemble the weapon with an aftermarket one for sale.
Old October 11, 2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Slamfire

Clinton chopped up the vast majority of M14's. When they needed them after the Iraqi invasion, the Army pulled back every M14 they gave to a Police Department, because they did not have enough in their warehouses. I would be curious to know just how many are still in inventory. Can't be more than a couple of thousand, unless the Navy found a ship filled with them.

The remaining fully automatic M14 rifles will never be released to the American public, when they are finally worn out, they will go to Captain Crunch in Anniston Army Depot.
Old October 11, 2017, 09:50 PM   #5
bamaranger

called back

A rifle and pistol club I belonged to on paper, so as to qualify for CMP products, had a quantity of M14's called back that were used by the club in formal competition. The club had used these rifle for many years, but back to DOD they went. I was aware of all this via newsletters, I never saw the rifles, or even shot at the club.

Interestingly, my park/agency had 10 M14 rifles from DOD during the same time period of the recall. None of those rifles were recalled, but they were eventually returned to DOD when they were replaced by the agency with AR-10's.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:23 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I forgot even the semi-auto variants had started life as select fire. Oh well. Part kits wouldn't be bad.
I think there are about 10K converted rifles in a half dozen or so variants.

Quote:
The AR-10 and M-14 are contemporaries.
Sort of. The AR-10 was a modern design with a lot of updates and the M14 was an upgrade of an outdated design. The maintenance and parts for an M14 seems to be more of an issue than for an AR-10 type rifle. Time will tell, but I bet the M14s aren't in the field for much longer.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:25 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Zip. The ATF decided, long ago, on their own without any legislation, that "Once an MG, always an MG.
Maybe that is a piece of legislation that should be looked at. Sure have ben a lot of historic rifles destroyed because of it.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:36 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
Maybe that is a piece of legislation that should be looked at. Sure have ben a lot of historic rifles destroyed because of it.
That wasn't a piece of legislation. That's the problem.

It wasn't a decision legislated by elected representatives. It was an edict handed down from a government to to its subjects.
Old October 12, 2017, 11:47 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...The AR-10 was a modern design..." Both were designed in the mid 50's. AR-10 introduced in 1956. The M-14, 1959. The only reason there is an M-14 is political. It was adopted because it was American and the FAL was not. An M-14 receiver just looks like an M1. Totally different rifle.
"...bet the M14s aren't in the field..." You'd lose. Armies are the most believers in status quo on the planet. Policy in nearly all of 'em is, "That's how we've always done it." U.S. Army had to buy commercial receivers for DM rifles.
"...That wasn't a piece of legislation...." Exactly. The ATF is a government agency that has gotten out of control. They're unelected civil servants who have been allowed to make law by regulation. The "Once an MG, always an MG." stuff is an example of that. Ten or so years ago, they were running around confiscating M-14 receivers assorted smithies had built into rifles. No compensation. No legislation allowing it. Worse thing is they were copied by our idiot government so now we have unelected civil servants(RCMP and NRCan) being allowed to do the same thing.