The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 21, 2017, 01:51 AM   #1
ADIDAS69

I need a new 50 BMG

So it looks like the Armalite single shot 50 wins competitions and is pretty inexpensive other than weight are the more expensive options that much better? Price wise the Accuracy International is the only one off the table. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Old September 21, 2017, 12:04 PM   #2
tobnpr

McMillan Tac-50 if accuracy is the consideration.

At the other end of the spectrum is Serbu's RN-50 break-action for $1200... no idea of the level of accuracy but you can always call him.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 21, 2017, 01:20 PM   #3
WWWJD

"I need a new 50 BMG"

Don't we all.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old September 21, 2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
I need a new 50 BMG
Quote:
Don't we all.

That's what I like about TFL! Impertinence!
Old September 21, 2017, 02:38 PM   #5
ADIDAS69

The other one broke. It was a BOHICA upper and they've closed up shop. It was surprisingly accurate but it's busted and yes I NEED a new.
Old September 21, 2017, 02:40 PM   #6
ADIDAS69

TOBNPR, I'm leaning towards the McMillen. Was about to upgrade a few months back but other toys came first and at the time my 50 was working. Have you heard anything about the Windrunners?
Old September 21, 2017, 02:48 PM   #7
ADIDAS69

Scorch/WWWJD, some of us married red heads and have more stress than others to send down range.
Old September 21, 2017, 03:09 PM   #8
TXAZ

The guys that often win the 1,000 yard .50 BMG events (sub .25MOA) have MacMillian actions, Lilja barrels, built by / scope rails by Martin List.
Few are stock rifles.

But don't discount the AR50 either, look at the Hunter competitions, usually quite a few AR50's there. It's a very good value.

And for Rapid fire / practical shooting / ultra long range shotgun it's the Barrett M107A1 or 82A1.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 21, 2017, 03:39 PM   #9
ADIDAS69

TXAZ, I had a look at the rifles of the winners on the FCSA website and I'm definitely going to avoid anything I need an engine hoist to get from my truck to the bench. The AR50 is, I guess, what I'd consider the heaviest "feildable" rifle. Something I could technically hike with.

The primary factor is my patience, impatience = AR50, patience = BA50/Steyr 50/Tac-50

Solid copy on the Barrett rifles being shotguns, I phoned them up and was told not to expect better than 2.5 MOA from any of their guns including the bolt actions.
Old September 21, 2017, 09:36 PM   #10
std7mag

Wow, Adidas.
Don't let some on here hear about needing a 50 for target shooting.
Don't ya know it's only for tanks and planes???
You can't shoot targets with that!

LM_O!!!
Old September 21, 2017, 10:52 PM   #11
TXAZ

Adidas,
Sure with crappy $2/round ammo 2.5 MOA sounds right.

Either you got some bad info from Barrett or I have "the magic touch", shooting close to 1.5 MOA with good ammo (and the guy shooting first in the 600 yard practical is closer to 1-1.25 MOA).
Being a relative newby I'm pretty sure it's not a magic touch on my part.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 22, 2017, 12:21 AM   #12
ADIDAS69

TXAZ, to be fair they didn't say it would always be that awful just not to expect better, funny part is I called them directly cause I had heard poor accuracy reports and wanted to know the truth. You are right that operator makes a huge difference. I have inexspensive rifles and ridiculously exspensive rifles and because I've taken the time to do proper load development and I have some vague clue what I'm doing all my rifles are 1 MOA capable respective to their intended engagement distances. For instance I have a CZ bolt gun chambered in 7.62X39 that with my reloads holds true to about 250 yards.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:28 AM   #13
ADIDAS69

Std7mag, I know you're joking but in fairness to the liberal hippie fear mongers it is legal for civilians to own API for 50 BMG which in malevolent hands could cause some problems.
Old September 22, 2017, 05:38 AM   #14
std7mag

Here in central PA there is only 1 range that will allow you to shoot a 50.
Unfortunately it is only 300 yards. So you could sight the scope in, but that's about the extent of it.

I've tried my hand on paper targets set up 1,200 yards set up on a gas/power line with the Rem Mag. But i think they would get nervous with a 50. Lol

Best of luck on your search.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:36 AM   #15
tobnpr

Forgot about Cadex Defence...
A few thousand $$ less than the AX-50, I've read very positive reviews on their .338 LM and expect their CDX-50 Tremor (love that name!) is no different. Aluminum chassis, McMillan's new A1 has an updated glass tactical stock.

If I were in the market for one I'd definitely give them a hard look.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 22, 2017, 08:43 AM   #16
50 shooter

What's your budget?

You say you want accuracy but you want to keep the price down. You sound like a semi could be an option but maybe a repeater would be better/cheaper... Why people bring up weight when comparing .50's is kinda funny, they're all HEAVY!!! If you complain about a hunting rifle being heavy at 7 pounds, a .50 will never fit into your shooting lifestyle. If you think you're going to be trekking through the woods with a .50 strapped to your butt, not happening. They're made to be pulled out of your vehicle and put on the bench at your local range!

Windrunner 50's are awesome but Bill died a few years back, not sure what they're status is now. His son I hear is taking care of customers and he builds his own firearms. He's probably better at it then his dad was and I would seriously check out his firearms. You can see them at www.vigilancerifles.com not cheap but quality never is.

The AR-50 is the AR-15 of the .50 world, plenty of aftermarket accessories for it. It uses a Rem 700 type trigger, you can drop in an aftermarket one and have a smooth as glass trigger. Swap out pistol grips, bipod... you name it. It will shoot MOA or better with quality ammo and the person pulling the trigger doing their part. So if you don't need a semi or a repeater, the AR-50 is the best way to go.

The Tac-50 would be another good choice if looking for a quality repeater, they've been making custom 50's for a long time and know their business. This pushes the budget up to at least $5K for just the rifle without any extras.

If you want another choice for a semi, look at Serbu's BFG-50A. It smokes the M82 all week long and twice on Sunday's. Mark is an engineer and knows how to build a firearm, plus if you call the shop, chances are he might answer the phone! If you talk to him you'll probably end up buying either his semi or single shot BFG. So have your credit card handy...

Don't know what else to tell you other than buy a quality scope. No, I don't consider the super sniper a quality scope but it will do in a pinch while saving up money to buy one that you want. You have to remember that the .50 is capable of hitting targets out to 2000+ yards, why spend top dollar and then put glass on it that can't keep up?
No time for rearranging.
Old September 22, 2017, 01:26 PM   #17
ADIDAS69

50 shooter, re budget I'm hoping to keep it at no more than $11K not including the optics. As addressed above I postponed the original upgrade time line, the money went largely for a couple S&B 12-50 scopes. The serbu semi auto is on my radar but if I'm up to that kind of price the accuracy of the McMillan is going to win out over rapid fire. You brought up weight which is interesting the serbu is a whole ten pounds lighter than a comparable Barrett, I'm young and beefy so hiking with weight isn't yet an issue but I like to keep my pack around 65lbs or less. You mentioned the AR-50 takes REM 700 triggers, do you know if it'll take the Huber Concepts trigger, that would make my decision a lot easier. I have their triggers on four of my 5 REMs and they're amazing.
Old September 22, 2017, 07:03 PM   #18
50 shooter

If the trigger group is a drop in replacement for a Rem 700 trigger, it should fit. A friend replaced his trigger on his AR-50 with a Jewel 2 ounce match trigger. He had to grind a small spot on the side of the receiver to get it to fit, other then that it dropped in.

As for the budget, you shouldn't have any problems keeping it under $11K with the optics. A Nightforce A.T.A.C.R. will set you back about $2,500 if you like NF scopes. Depending on where you look, you should be able to get an AR-50 for $3K or less. Don't rule out State Arms/Eastridge Gun Co. as they make some of the most affordable single shot .50's that have done extremely well in competition.
No time for rearranging.
Old September 22, 2017, 09:33 PM   #19
ADIDAS69

50 shooter, I found your post on AR15.com and there was a bit regarding the firing pin type safety the AR50 has that I didn't quite wrap my head around.

RE Huber Concepts triggers they are drop in replacements and they pass the F.B.I. rough handling tests. They're 1.5 lb 2 stage and just awesome.

Budget wise one of the S&B's is for the fifty so all the coin goes for the rifle. As it's obviously a 100% elective purchase it'll take few months for the mcmillen in order to have the cash on hand. The AR50 I could pick up next month. I'm going to run down this trigger thing. If I find out the mcmillen has an awesome trigger I'll be patient.
Old September 22, 2017, 10:18 PM   #20
std7mag

Have you considered a 408 Cheytek?

Just asking if it's an option on the table...
Old September 22, 2017, 10:37 PM   #21
ADIDAS69

Std7mag, no dice re 408. It'sa pretty rifle and I love the ballistics but 50 is so much cheaper and I can own API, SLAP, and tracer. Not that I use any with great regularity but they're there if I need them. Plus what's'er'name only puts up with this BS cause I can make a pratical argument for my toys.
Old September 22, 2017, 10:48 PM   #22
ADIDAS69

And yes the zombie apocalypse is a totally legit excuse.
Old September 23, 2017, 12:42 AM   #23
50 shooter

If you're talking about the firing pin safety on the AR-50 and the fact that it can force the sear down and cause the gun to fire thing? Yes, that can happen with an aftermarket trigger if it doesn't have an internal safety built in.

The firing pin safety on the AR-50 is beyond ridiculously strong. The reason it's that way is it's holding the firing pin spring back under tension and unless you hold the safety when you release it, all that tension is forced onto the trigger. Armalite installs a factory (Shilen) trigger that can take the force. It's when people start to tinker, someone else gets behind the trigger, snaps the safety and... you should've seen the look on his face!
No time for rearranging.
Old September 23, 2017, 02:44 PM   #24
ADIDAS69

Solid copy
Old September 26, 2017, 11:15 AM   #25
Model12Win

Don't overlook the Anzio 50/20.

It is a 20x102mm case necked down to accept heavy .50 BMG bullets.

Something like 900 grains at 3,300 FPS. Basically replicates 14.5x114mm ballistics and penetration but without the need for a destructive device stamp.