The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 2, 2017, 11:22 PM   #1
JoeSixpack

A stampede of Tauruses? Tauri? eh.. Taurus pix's inside, Beware!

Went to my dealer to pick up some goodies.
A pair of 809's, a 738 "TCP", and a Mod. 85 revolver.

John Woo special, The 809's
I picked up a pair of these after hearing they was discontinued and seeing the prices hover just above 200.
These are polymer framed, hammer fired full size guns.
Seems like a oddity these days so I had to nab a pair.
Sadly the shop I bought from was not able to send me sequential serials :(

I did not compare it to my current carry gun the Taurus 99 (Same size as a Beretta 92) But I'd say it's at least as big and heavy.

Gun comes in a hard case, It's actually pretty decent quality, molded foam.
A cheap useless mag loader, 2 mags, 2 extra changeable back straps, and a cleaning brush.. or at least it was suppose to both of them was missing the brush.

The sticker on the case has a late April date, but these was suppose to have been discontinued the end of 2016, I tried to do a serial search but both guns show "not found".. Have to ask Taurus about it.

When I first picked the gun up my first thoughts was DAMN this grip is big.
I think the problem isn't that it's big but that it's long.. that and the fact that it's hard and rough, Im use to rubber grips on most guns I think it would feel a lot better with rubber.

After about 15mins of handling it started to feel better to me, Im also gonna try to swap the back straps.

Field strip is a snap, take down is like a glock but without the trigger pull.
The entire gun is fully Ambi, But I think it comes at a price, The mag release while being small is also harder then I like.

The mag itself seems high quality, holds 17, has individual witness holes.
The base plate has a sort of swoop for your pinky but honestly it's completely unnecessary the gun is full size my hand comes no where near the mag base plate so that's probably gonna get trimmed flat.

Speaking of mags I did not break out a 92 mag to compare but they look fairly similar to a 92 mag, Im betting I can modify mags to fit this thing.

Besides the mag release the controls are easy to manipulate, smooth, and positive.

Im not a fan of their choice of triggers, it's polymer, it's not uncomfortable but I think it has some flex to it.. If anyone made a aftermarket metal trigger at reasonable price I'd be interested.

The DA trigger is very heavy on this beast, worse yet it's kinda gritty, I think I already identified the source of that grit.. a good cleaning might fix it but if not a quick fluff and buff would probably do wonders for smoothing the trigger.
I imagine I'll be looking at a hammer spring swap to lower the pull weight.. No way you're gonna pull the trigger by accident on this.

SA trigger was quite decent, very crisp, don't have a trigger gauge but probably around 4-4.5lb If I had to guess.

Overall I like the gun but I gotta do something about that trigger.. the DA is just outta control on it.

*Due to image in post limitations I've only included a few the rest are links

http://i65.tinypic.com/vy1gs1.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/158bgiv.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/dxn0ih.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/24ezxoj.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/xblk3k.jpg

The PT738 A.K.A "TCP"

I bought the 738 solely cause of price, It's a .380acp
Honestly I did not want to add 380 to my list of calibers to stock.
But when I came across this thing for $137 new.. How could I resist that?

So there's not much to say about this gun, The first thing you notice is wow it's lite, I think Taurus clocks it some where around 10 or 11oz.
The 2nd thing you notice is wow this thing feels like a toy, heck it looks like a toy even.
I mean everything about it screams delicate, the frame feels kinda cheap and the plastic is very thin, the slide is very thin, the barrel is paper thin.. seriously I would just assume the barrel would blow up if you shot this thing.

But I know they don't so they must have put the right stuff at the right spots.
I mean the barrel and slide you can tell they're metal but they almost feel like aluminum they're so light and thin, It's absolutely nuts.

Im kinda curious how it does at the range I imagine that .380 is gonna show me how it's full grown shooting out of this thing.

The mag is quality, infact it says mfg by mec-gar so at least we know that's good to go :D

The gun has a concealed hammer so not striker fired but is this weird setup where it's SA but has a long trigger pull anyway, reminds me of DA given the length and weight of the pull.

I think given size constraint the hammer must do a really wild 270degree rotation or something to get the momentum to fire.

Anyway no manual safety, does have slide release and last round hold open.
Trigger is long, and feels like a DA trigger but is smooth and manageable.

Have to wait and see what it does at the range it definitely has me interested.. I keep having to tell my self this isn't a toy but it sure feels like one, Guess that's the sacrifice for going this far down the rabbit hole.

Model 85.

Model 85 was another "value" buy.
I didn't own any snubbies and I kinda wanted one but it was so far down my list.
I would have rather had a 357 but I honestly can't remember the last time I shot 357's out of my 357's.. Given these have 40 dollar rebates right now I got this one at a steal.. 194 - 40 = 154.. couldn't pass it up.

Out of the 4 I got today I was most excited before hand for the 809's
But I gotta tell ya, Im tickled pink with this thing.. Obviously I've not had it to the range yet but everything checks out on it.
-Finish was fine
-Gap is pretty good
-Lock up is good but not vice tight :/ well within acceptable though.
-No end play or anything, Timing is perfect.
-Ejection is good
-Cylnder spin is smooth, Ejector rod is straight.

DA trigger is heavy which is to be expected but silky smooth & SA is really nice.
The best feature on this gun is the grips.. OMG they're wonderful.
Probably the most comfortable grips I've ever felt on a revolver.
Even though the grip is short and your pinky kinda hangs out at the bottom it has a little indent for it.
It feels like you have a really sold grip on it, I got the non-ultra-lite model
So it's all steel and a few oz heavier because of it.. snubbie or not I expect it to have very little recoil I imagine the grips will soak up a lot of it.

I know a lot of people hate on Taurus but I don't know how anyone could hate on the 85 at this price.
My sister got her hands on it and now wants one :P

http://i65.tinypic.com/2qs2zhi.jpg

So with today's acquisitions im up to 8 Taurus and they're officially my most owned brand.
Hate all you want on them, That just means they'll be cheaper when I pick mine up :D
Old September 3, 2017, 03:13 AM   #2
armoredman

Sweet! I've been thinking abut the TCP off and on considering the insane prices, but the reviews are hit and miss. More hit than miss nowadays, for certain.
I miss my little Model 85, was a great revolver, loaned it out to a friend who then left town. Oops.
That first one...no idea, never heard of it...
Old September 3, 2017, 06:18 AM   #3
TJB101

Nice post ... awesome pics! I've had the 85 for a few years and it's a nice revolver. I ended up having to paint the sights for my old failing eyes. Decent range toy.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:19 AM   #4
lunger

That's some smart shopping there. Good buys on all.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:59 AM   #5
Armed_Chicagoan

I've had no issues with my TCP itself, I did have to slightly bend the feed lips of a few mags to make them work correctly.

What's not to like about a $170 pocket pistol?
Old September 3, 2017, 10:16 PM   #6
GarandTd

This thread is like taking a walk down the corridors of my own mind. Wierd. I handled an 809 before purchasing my k2p. It was the runner up. I've been considering the 709 for something easy to conceal. And, I've always wanted a snub. I'm looking more for a 357, though. Particularly after a bear encounter with me and my 6 year old a week ago today. The Taurus haters haven't influenced me entirely. I like to see things for myself. I will say I didn't notice the poly trigger on the 809 when I handled it and that's a bit of a turn off. But if it works...
Old September 4, 2017, 11:53 PM   #7
arquebus357

Those are nice looking pistols. I'm sure they will serve you well. One thing that I really like about Taurus semi-autos (at least the few I have seen) is the tiny leaf "chambered round" indicator located on top of the extractor. A much better solution than the aerodynamic device Ruger stuck on the SR9 for example.

Last edited by arquebus357; September 5, 2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old September 5, 2017, 02:08 PM   #8
saber9

The only one of these I have any experience with is the Taurus 85. I bought the UL version 10 or 12 years ago and have had absolutely zero problems with it. I have a number of handguns I can carry concealed and the 85 is the one I carry half the time or more. My brother has had the steel version for 15 years or so and it is his only EDC handgun. He has never had a problem of any kind with it.
Old September 7, 2017, 06:17 AM   #9
Concerned Citizen

Nice buys, especially on the M85. You're right, those grips are nice but they don't work so well with speedloaders. My 905 has those same grips.

I am currently waiting on my blued steel M85 to arrive from Palmetto State Armory for the princely sum of $169.99 after $40 mail in rebate.
Old September 7, 2017, 05:46 PM   #10
SauerGrapes

Quote:
considering the 709 for something easy to conceal.
I've had my 709 ''slim'' for 8 or 9 yrs now. At 200 bucks, you can't go wrong IMO. When I bought mine they were a lot more. I don't think they have adjustable rear sight now? Not that it matters, I never moved mine anyway.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 8, 2017, 12:17 AM   #11
armoredman

I went to a LGS, and they said they refuse to carry Taurus, also stated that they had had students show up to a pistol course with the TCP and the gun wouldn't last all the way through the class. Hmm. Might just be that they are very SIG oriented.
Old September 8, 2017, 08:23 PM   #12
SauerGrapes

Hmm, now where did I put that sharp stick??

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 9, 2017, 12:32 AM   #13
armoredman

I should mention I have owned several Taurus revolvers and pistols over the years and only one had to go back for work right after I got it. I'd carry an 85 right out of the box with confidence.
Old September 9, 2017, 08:23 AM   #14
GarandTd

Armoredman, were you satisfied with the service and results of the one you did have to send back?

Last edited by GarandTd; September 9, 2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old September 9, 2017, 11:05 AM   #15
RECTIFIER

My only Taurus...the PT22. It runs fine with 7 in the mag & one inna chamber.

Old September 10, 2017, 03:34 AM   #16
armoredman

The one I sent back was repaired correctly and within time frames. That was about 9 years ago, IIRC.
I should have mentioned that I did try to send an OLD Taurus, what would be the Model 82, back for service, but it was the antique with the ribbed cylinder flutes and Taurus charged me just to look at it. Then they said they wouldn't repair it and sent it back. I used it as a trade it, because it still worked, somewhat. It simply wasn't covered under the warranty and I was young and stupid.
Old October 2, 2017, 03:47 PM   #17
Ibmikey

If there is a stampede of Taurus handguns is it headed back to the factory for repairs?y
Old October 8, 2017, 03:53 AM   #18
hemiram

My first two Taurus guns were horrible and just bad. First gun ever was a Taurus 83, spit badly, and it had a totally messed up barrel. Two trips to FL and Taurus fixed the spitting, but denied the barrel had any issues. It had no rifling about 2" from the muzzle, and then after about a half inch, it would start up again. It ripped the jackets off jacketed rounds and lead rounds would lead the gun up so bad, in six shots it was partly clogged with lead that had to be pounded out with a brass rod. That gun's issues scared me away, but a friend's 809 made me bite on one, and it had some minor feed issues that kept me from trusting it as a defense weapon. A trip to FL did nothing but cost me money. I sold it to a friend who seems to have it running at 100%. I couldn't resist the price on 809's now, I bought one last month. Hopefully, I can shoot it this week. I have an 809 Compact, and it's a great little gun, as are my 3 Pt111 G2's. I'm resisting the cheap Model 85's out there right now...
Old October 8, 2017, 10:05 AM   #19
JoeSixpack

I haven't shot the 85 or 809 yet.. the 809 has a really heavy gritty DA trigger, Im gonna strip it down and do a fluff and buff on it which should smooth it out I heard a few other people just a good cleaning with take the grit out but It's still too heavy for my taste.

I need to find a lighter main spring that will fit.

the 85 Im waiting, my sister has one coming so I figured we'd take them out together.

Sorry you had such bad luck with Taurus.
The compact looks nice I would have bought one if they was as cheap as the full size.

Mag are really hard to find for the 809 right now.. It appears SA XDM mags are a potentially good canidate with minor modifications.

I had a thread asking for measurements but so far no bites.