The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 23, 2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Movian

Just installed, bipod, rail, rings, and scope

Hey,
so my parts turned up and it looked fairly straight forward to get everything put together so I took a crack at it and looks like its good to go for tweaking / adjustments when my friend who knows what he is doing gets back from vacation (he should be able to help with Zeroing and correcting any mistakes, no I didn't glue the screws in yet and everything is finger tight).

just wanted to get some opinions on here if possible ( may take it up the range this weekend just to see how it feels with the new equipment). I did have to take off part of the rear Iron sight to get the scope to mount correctly, and the bolt feels a 'little' close to the scope but it operates fine without touching it. also in these pictures it looks like the scope is touching the remainder of the rear iron sight but there is a gap between.

(Medium height rings).

http://imgur.com/a/D5hVN
Old July 23, 2014, 04:08 PM   #2
taylorce1

Picture is fuzzy but it appears your bi-pod is on backwards. The legs should fold up toward the muzzle. Something about it just doesn't look right on my phone.
Old July 23, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Movian

aha! I knew I took pictures for a reason....

I will swing it around now, yeah they are folding up towards the trigger at the moment so I guess its on backwards, will fix and try and take some pics with a better camera.
Old July 23, 2014, 04:15 PM   #4
AllenJ

Looks good except as taylorce1 states, the bipod looks backwards. Look forward to hearing your range report.
Old July 23, 2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Movian

have also just discovered that the soft case I got for the rifle at the gun show will not take the rifle AND the scope.... any suggestions on a hard case that could do the job ? am shortish on cash due to getting setup and having thought I HAD a case so on a budget here for the moment (will get a better one to protect my investment down the road that was always the plan, but need something cheap and cheerful to get me there).
Old July 23, 2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Yep.. Bipod legs should fold forward (towards the muzzle). That way when shooting you can push forward into the bipod without collapsing it

As for a cheap hard case. Go to Walmart and get one with the eggcrate foam. Under $20 and it will do what you need. Back and forth to the range or hunting field. No problem
Old July 24, 2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Movian

ok turned the bi pod around and took some higher res pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/YvA15

I know the sights on the scope look skewed but they appear to be leveled correctly when looking through them, must be a weird photography thing....
Old July 24, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Corrections Cop

Nice pics, but it looks like to me that the cross hairs on the scope are not aligned. They look like they are tilted a bit.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Movian

as mentioned it looks fine when actually looking down the rifle (not through the camera).

Whats the best way to ensure that the scope is perfectly level ? I have seen some vids showing how to do it if the bottom of the scope is flat... however mine is not...

also is there a method for making sure its positioned correctly forward / back? at the moment I just guesstimated the correct distance based on where they seem to be mounted on other rifles couples with where I could see through it properly when holding the rifle....
Old July 24, 2014, 04:31 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

For me, I mount the rifle to my shoulder and move the scope forward or back in the mounts until my sight picture is clear and not diminished.

For level, I point at a paper on the wall, make a mark at the crosshair, then draw a level line on the paper using a builder's level. Then again point the scope at the paper, and level the crosshair to the horizontal line. You could make a vertical line with a plumb bob and a chalk line if you want, or just hang a weight on a string from a nail. I knew a smith who would use the vertical wall line on the house across the street, but he was careful about not being seen doing it from his garage.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Movian

ok so took the rifle up the range n the weekend and had my friend help me sight it in with my new scope.

Started of at 50 yards then moved to 100 yards when I started grouping close together. (the black patches were 50 yard sighting).

I think i still need a little work sighting in, but I think mostly I need to work on my shooting technique now.

http://imgur.com/uTHVQDi