The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 3, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
redlevel42

4-screw K-frame question

I rescued an old 4-screw pre Model 10 earlier this week. It has been sitting in a pawn-shop display for 6 months or so, and I finally felt so sorry for it that I took it home. I have it details stripped now, getting what looks like gunked-up burnt motor oil out of the innards.

The gun has a hole through the bottom of the grip frame. I have seen pictures of this before (I think), but I have never seen it on one of my guns. Can someone tell me what the functional purpose of this might be? Just curious. I am thinking about drilling a matching hole in an old set of k-frame magnas I have and running a rawhide or para-cord loop through it to attach to a lanyard.

Old August 3, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
oldgunsmith

Is there a small screw in front of and just above the trigger guard? I can't tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like what was known as a 5-screw (4 sideplate screws and the cyl. stop spring & plunger screw).
Old August 3, 2013, 02:24 PM   #3
redlevel42

It's a 4-screw. It has no upper side plate screw. S&W dropped the upper sideplate screw but retained the trigger guard screw for a few years, thus a "4-screw" gun. I once had a Model 10 no-dash with 4 screws. I think they dropped the fourth sideplate screw but kept the trigger guard screw only for a few years before they went to three screws, all in the side plate.
Old August 5, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
BigJimP

The landyard ring ...was fastened to the bottom of the butt of the frame ...on my Victory model....and on everything I see in the catalog.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1372438565

I don't see any purpose for that hole in the frame.../ I know my Victory model ( pre model 10 ) does not have it.... ???
Old August 6, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The lanyard loop was set in a hole in the bottom of the grip, and held in by the stock pin. I have no idea what that hole is for except possibly a very slight weight reduction measure.

Jim
Old August 8, 2013, 10:54 AM   #6
PetahW

I would WAG that the hole's for a locator pin, which would stabilize the frame for a broaching op (like the internal cutout for the MS and/or the cylinder opening) during the manufacture of that particular model.

Old August 8, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

What James K says. The lanyard loop ring hole was drilled into the bottom of the grip, not the side. A retaining pin hole was drilled into the side. I milled out the plug in my Victory and put a lanyard loop into it.
Old August 8, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
SaxonPig

I have a Colt with a similar hole. No idea what it was for. The old Magna Trigger conversion, maybe? Some sort of custom stocks required it?