The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 3, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
awaveritt

Blackpowder data for 125gr RNFP

I've been loading the Lee 358-158gr RNFP over 18gr. Goex FFFg with good results. However I have cast a good supply of the Lee 125 gr RNFP and would like to load those up with the Goex as well. Problem is, I can't find any published data for black powder and the 125 gr. in 38 special. I get really good compression of the 18grs under the 158. There would be slightly less compression, but enough to insure no air space with the same charge under the 125gr. bullet. Would I be good to go with that same charge under the lighter bullet?

Anyone have any pet loads and/or published data using the Lee 125 gr bullet with holy black?
Old June 3, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Hawg

As long as you have no airspace you're good to go. If you want lighter loads all I can tell you is experiment and use filler.
Old June 5, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Tanker6

I've loaded 125's the same way I load everything else....put FFF Goex to within 1/8" of the top of the case and seat the bullet. Now, I shoot CAS (which I'm thinking you do as well), so I'm loading these for my rifle....which requires an OAL of 1.50" to feed well. The only reason I'm putting powder to within 1/8" of the top is to (1) try to keep from spilling powder all over the place and (2) insure there's no air space after seating the bullet.

Hope this helps.

T6 a/k/a Chickahominy Charlie