The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 29, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Carson1023

Model 1890 Winchester .22 Short

Anyone have a clue as to what the value of this rifle is? It was made in 1926 and is in good condition.

24222.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5251.jpg
Old June 29, 2011, 07:45 PM   #2
30-30remchester

As collectable guns go this is in only fair condition. The buttstock has been broken and poorly repaired and the opering rod appears to have been used as an anvil. Another great John Browning designed gun. Being it is in 22 short and in only fair condition, from my experence this will probably only bring @$200.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Carson1023

I did notice that the rod was damaged, but I never thought the buttstock was in too terrible of condition. Thank you for the info. How could you tell the buttstock had been repaired? And what can I do about the damage to the rod?
Old June 29, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
30-30remchester

I have 45 plus years collecting and researching antique firearms. It is a delicate and difficult process in dealing with antique guns. First, any refinish or reblue or alteration severly reduces value and resalability. If this were mine I would obtain a good used action rod. There are many companies that specialize in supplying original parts. As far as the stock is concerned, this is a different animal altogether. There is virtually no original replacement stocks anywhere. Remanufactered stocks are alright but arent for me. I would find some very talented woodworker to remove the bolt through the stock and install a like colored walnut plugs in the holes. He should also be able to repair the chip in the top tang. I wouldnt let him refinish or alter any other part of the buttstock. Even when repaired it is still a repaired gun and though it improves the value some it still wont increase the value much. GREAT guns none the less. I hope the bore is clean and shootable.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Carson1023

Very good info. Thank you for giving me some advice on what to do with it, much appreciated. I will probably have most of what you said done to the gun. And yes the bore is absolutely clear and ready to fire. Thanks once again.