The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 4, 2011, 01:40 AM   #1
yournewmom

chromed M-57

hey all-
long time lurker, new time member with a question..

i recently took a road trip to J&G in prescott and picked up a yugo M57 and a CZ 82. for the money i couldn't be happier. solid, outstanding pistols. the M57 is not as accurate as i would like but i'm guessing it is something that i can correct- the bushing seems a little loose- and that is a starting point..
that being said, i love the look and feel of the M57. so much so i want another for back up in case the supply dries up..
my question. does anyone have any opinions/information on the quality of the chromed versions being offered at classic arms? while generally not a fan of chrome/silver pistols i am seriously intrigued.
and for 270 bucks w/2 mags it seems to me to be an outstanding deal. your thoughts?

thanks,
doug

Al Swearengen
Old May 4, 2011, 07:53 AM   #2
jtb1967

Personally I can't see it spending the money on the chrome guns. If you're a collector, the value is ruined by the chrome job. If you're a shooter, there are better options out there for target, hunting, or self defense.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:37 AM   #3
noelf2

Quote:
the bushing seems a little loose
Where is it loose? Does it spin too easily, or is the barrel hole too big? If the latter, you may want to get a new bushing. They're cheap. Oh, and I'd forget about the chrome. Yuck.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:16 PM   #4
orangello

THANK YOU FOR ASKING THIS!

I've been wondering the same thing. My interests in a MD57 lie in the inexpensive ammo; i want a fun cheap centerfire plinker.

I want to know how much maintenance the "hard chrome" finish will save me, cleaning-wise & considering the use of surplus, corrosive ammo. I wonder if the barrel is chromed inside & out to protect against corrosive ammo (from the factory or after this "hard chrome" process from ClassicArms). Anybody bought a "hard chrome" firearm from ClassicArms before; how good was the finish? I don't think it looks bad, but i'm not generally into stainless or shinier pistols.

I've actually wondered the same thing about the "draco" they offer.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5
orangello

No love for the chrome, apparently.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Dino.

Stupid question ...
Did they ever come chrome originally?
Or are they all refinished?
Old May 5, 2011, 07:40 PM   #7
essohbe

FWIW, you should clean the **** out of your M57. Mine shot awefully terrible and I had to use everything I could imagine to get copper out of it, I think Balistol was what finally got everything out. Now it shoot's straight at least with good ammo but like you said, they aren't the most accurate of pistols.

To me, Chrome plated = :barf:
The price on that is ridiculous too.

- $0.02
Old May 5, 2011, 07:48 PM   #8
yournewmom

i'm not looking at it from a collecters' POV. i already have one that is original (though i have removed and plugged the safety hole).. so value-wise, i don't care- because i'm keeping these forever. and i have a "real" pistol for self-defense/SHTF situations...
i just like the fact that the chrome would add to its longevity. again- i am not a fan of silver/chrome pistols in general. but i do like this pistol. it is extremely fun to shoot and i want it to last thru my lifetime. and if i could have two, one of which is more resistant to my sweaty little fingers.. well, all the better!
did they come chromed originally? no. are they chromed decently? i don't know.. i guess that is my question. i don't care about the history (or subtraction there of) because they are chromed.. i guess i just want another one, one that is slightly different, and if that "difference" is done in a quality way..

doug

Al Swearengen
Old May 5, 2011, 08:27 PM   #9
yournewmom

essohbe/"The price on that is ridiculous too".

thanks for the response. seriously.
but. they seem to be going for about 200 bucks on most sites (that i have found), maybe 180 for more beat up ones, so an additional 70 bucks for a chromed version doesn't seem bad at all... to me. but i haven't researched that so i could be completely wrong..

doug

Al Swearengen
Old May 6, 2011, 01:15 AM   #10
yournewmom

after a brief search this is all i could find of any use, will wait for the poster to put up pictures..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...med-yugo-m57s/

i will continue (though i just found out that i am laid off- so i should have more time- but i may not be in the market any longer...) to research..

Al Swearengen
Old May 8, 2011, 08:40 AM   #11
TX Hunter

I think they look pretty cool though, if that helps.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:34 PM   #12
cougar gt-e

I cleaned the snot out of my rommy tok and it has shot tacks since new (to me that is). Must have gotten lucky.

Anyone have a line on cheap 7.62x25 ammo? Or know when a new shipment from commie land is expected?
Old May 14, 2011, 03:24 AM   #13
yournewmom

hey TX..

i don't think they look so bad either...
just joined the saiga site and have requested an update/pictures from someone who has recently ordered one...

d

Al Swearengen
Old May 14, 2011, 08:44 AM   #14
orangello

I'd love to hear what a previous purchaser says about the coating/quality.
Old May 15, 2011, 02:44 PM   #15
yournewmom

pics are up..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...e__pid__646131

Al Swearengen
Old May 16, 2011, 09:04 PM   #16
Tidewater_Kid

Can you post the pictures here? You have to be a member over there to see them.

TK
Old June 7, 2011, 02:36 AM   #17
yournewmom

there are quite a few nice pictures from 2 different sources.

no offence- but personally, i'd take 2 minutes and join the site...
mainly because i'm not sure of the etiquette of cross posting all those pictures.

Al Swearengen
Old June 9, 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
yournewmom

how could sharing pictures be wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020712.jpg (244.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1020715.jpg (240.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1020728.jpg (243.4 KB, 42 views)

Al Swearengen
Old June 9, 2011, 08:30 PM   #19
Tidewater_Kid

Thanks, and that's a cool looking pistol!

TK
Old June 9, 2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Dino.

WoW, that looks really nice!