The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 27, 2017, 05:43 PM   #1676
Groundhog34

My wife has a Ruger LCR 327 she practices with 32 S&W long carries HR 32 mag I am trying to get her u[ to 327 but she is recoil; sensitive
Revelation 13:11
Old September 1, 2017, 11:42 AM   #1677
glenncal1

Been meaning to post this and sorry I don't have a photo but I have a Dan Wesson 32 that I finally got around to having the cylinder reamed to .327. I have 8" and 4" barrels for the gun and have only shot .327 ammo through the 8". What a great combo very accurate (like most DWs and .32s) and flat shooting. Very little holdover to shoot targets at 100 yards with the gun sighted in for 25.

Many K and N Frames
Old September 1, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1678
Radny97

^^^^^^^^^

Wow what a fantastic idea! I think you just gave me my next project. Now to find a Dan Wesson 32. Not an easy task.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:10 AM   #1679
Stainz

I bought my 632 Pro when they were first released - 9/11. It was a sad time for the .327 Magnum as most makers were dropping them then, I am glad to hear that so many more choices exist today - great news! I would have posted my pictures, but they are on Photobucket - and they now want $ to host pix - guess I have been away too long!

John
Old September 2, 2017, 08:58 AM   #1680
glenncal1

Radny- they are out there, but most people want big $$ for them. I was lucky to find a shooter grade gun with the 2 barrels for reasonable (but still not cheap) money. I also have a Ruger GP100 in .327 which is a great platform for the cartridge, but they too are hard to find and pricey when you do.

Many K and N Frames
Old September 2, 2017, 08:35 PM   #1681
FrankenMauser

Henry says the rifles are shipping.
Davidson's now has them listed, but none yet in stock.

....Just thought I'd share.
(I'm still trying to figure out how to squeeze a Steel Carbine into the safe [w/ big loop lever swapped out for standard].)
Old September 2, 2017, 11:51 PM   #1682
Jbotto

It always surprises me to see the .327's on shelves still. I saw a 3" Ruger SP101 today at an area gun shop with $400 on the tag. If I wanted a .327 I think I would have sprung for it. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to share the shops name in a message. Might be able to help someone out if they were looking for one.
Old September 3, 2017, 09:50 AM   #1683
PoiDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Henry says the rifles are shipping.
Davidson's now has them listed, but none yet in stock.

....Just thought I'd share.
(I'm still trying to figure out how to squeeze a Steel Carbine into the safe [w/ big loop lever swapped out for standard].)
They are shipping. My LGS has received 3 of the 20" blued models in the last 2 weeks. He said he could get the 16.5" barrel model even before that.
Old September 3, 2017, 12:50 PM   #1684
saleen322

I have been trying since about February to get a brass Big Boy rifle in 327. Saw the first one on Gunbroker a short time ago and shortly after seen a second one. Made a modest bid on the 2nd one to my surprise I won. It is supposed to be here mid week. I will follow up after I get it out to shoot.
Old September 3, 2017, 10:56 PM   #1685
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
It always surprises me to see the .327's on shelves still. I saw a 3" Ruger SP101 today at an area gun shop with $400 on the tag. If I wanted a .327 I think I would have sprung for it. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to share the shops name in a message.
That is an amazing deal and it illustrates the gap that still exists between local shops and the broader market. Those things can sell for double that on the web. If I didn't just get the long-awaited message from my local shop that the Henry rifles are on their way, I'd be taking you up on this. Sadly, there is only so much in the family budget.
Old September 3, 2017, 11:13 PM   #1686
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
That is an amazing deal and it illustrates the gap that still exists between local shops and the broader market. Those things can sell for double that on the web. If I didn't just get the long-awaited message from my local shop that the Henry rifles are on their way, I'd be taking you up on this. Sadly, there is only so much in the family budget.
Yeah, those 3 inch .327 SP101's go for way over $600 on gunbroker.

The problem with those local shops is they're dead set on selling used guns for a certain price, but all those guns end up doing is sitting on shelves taking up space because people aren't interested in buying them, but other people might on the web.

There's also the owners being old and set in their ways about doing things.
Old September 4, 2017, 12:17 AM   #1687
FrankenMauser

On the flip side of that are shops that decide to price everything "nationally".

My preferred local shop has had a rough time selling much since Trump was elected. According to them, sales (overall - not just firearms) are at about 15-20% of what they were in 2016. And they claim to have not sold a single AR-style rifle since December 2016. We all know that 2016 had a lot of Hillary panic going for it, but an 80% (+) drop in sales is a pretty big hit for a shop to take.

So, they turned to Gunbroker, after having been skeptical and resistant for many years.
Now, half of the stuff in the shop is priced at 'national market' or 'Gunbroker' prices, rather than realistic local prices (which isn't helping with sales... but that's another subject).

They've had a used Single Seven sitting in the case for about eight months, now. I haven't even picked it up, since there's a $800 price tag on it.
Around here, that thing isn't going to move until the price drops to $400-450. Hopefully GB works out. (As stupid as some of the prices are, it's still my favorite LGS.)
Old September 4, 2017, 07:14 AM   #1688
Triggernosis

All of my local shops price their used guns based on Gunbroker prices too. Very frustrating, as there's no way to find a decent deal anymore.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:48 PM   #1689
A pause for the COZ

Still waiting on my Henry. I want the 16 inch version. Have seen a few of the 20 inch Big boys on Gun Broker.
Wanting to give a local guy some business though so will wait.
Its tough though, I have the money stashed just waiting.
But its hard.. Almost ripped it out for a Webley Mk 6 the other day.
Lord give me strength to resist.
A Lever gun in 327 magnum has been the ONLY gun I have truly wanted for the last 8 years.
But that has not stopped me from buying others.

COME ON!!!!! Get my Henry in stock!!!
Old September 22, 2017, 06:24 PM   #1690
PoiDog

I finally got mine late last month. I've been hitting the "honey do" trail lately, so I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.

Hopefully, this weekend.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:35 AM   #1691
smee78

Happy happy joy joy the LCRX 327 is finally here. As I said in another thread I wish it had a 3" barrel and adj sights but I think I will get one anyway. Good news on the 327 front, first Henry steps up and now Ruger.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:50 AM   #1692
TruthTellers

I wouldn't exactly say Ruger is "stepping up on the .327 front", more like they've stepped up for the LCRx.

I also can't wait for the 3 inch LCRx in .327. I don't expect to see that until SHOT next year or April/May. The 3 inch LCR's are all built on the aluminum frame while the .327/.357 mags need steel frames.

Steel frames that don't currently exist and will need to be engineered and produced. That will take a few more months if it is something that Ruger is making it a priority.

The thing is, if Ruger does make 3 inch LCRx .357's and .327's, it's almost cannibalizing the SP101. Right now a snub .327/.357 isn't available in the SP, so there's no competition.
Old October 5, 2017, 03:53 PM   #1693
smee78

Call it what you want but, any new gun/platform made in 327 is a step up in the right direction in my opinion.
Old October 5, 2017, 09:32 PM   #1694
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I also can't wait for the 3 inch LCRx in .327. I don't expect to see that until SHOT next year or April/May. The 3 inch LCR's are all built on the aluminum frame while the .327/.357 mags need steel frames.

Steel frames that don't currently exist and will need to be engineered and produced. That will take a few more months if it is something that Ruger is making it a priority.
Whatchoo talkinbout Willis?

Ruger doesn't announce new products without them already existing. They don't do vaporware, or announce something that they intend to engineer and develop, but haven't already gone well beyond prototyping.
Usually the products are shipping, or have already shipped to distributors before the announcement is made.

In this case, they were in transit.
GoG has 13 of the .327 Federal LCRxs available, as of 8:28 pm MDT.
Other places have more.
Old October 5, 2017, 10:50 PM   #1695
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Whatchoo talkinbout Willis?

Ruger doesn't announce new products without them already existing. They don't do vaporware, or announce something that they intend to engineer and develop, but haven't already gone well beyond prototyping.
Usually the products are shipping, or have already shipped to distributors before the announcement is made.

In this case, they were in transit.
GoG has 13 of the .327 Federal LCRxs available, as of 8:28 pm MDT.
Other places have more.
I'm talking about 3 inch LCRx revolvers. The first 3 inch LCRx was the .38, which uses the aluminum frame, so the .22's took nothing to make.

Notice how deer r no tree inch .327 or .357 Mag LCRx revolvers? Know y? Cuz they different, they steal frames man. Ruger hasn't made a 3 inch LCRx wit duh steelz man n it gonna take sum time 2 do dat engine neering 2 make 'em.

And I was estimating a time when Ruger will probably announce that they're offering 3 inch LCRx revolvers in .327 and .357. I know they haven't announced it because they haven't made them.

I swear 90 percent of the people on gun forums have no reading comprehension.
Old October 6, 2017, 02:02 PM   #1696
FrankenMauser

I like how you regurgitate things that we taught you, while acting as if you're a veteran expert and we're a bunch of idiots...
In this very thread, as well as one of your others within the last year, we had to point out to you that the .327 LCRs use a steel frame.

Yes, you are correct that I missed the 3-inch specification. But your comment about reading comprehension, and the tone of your Yankee Ebonics interpretation was uncalled for.

As for the engineering...
How much work do you think it actually takes?
For an existing 3D-modeled design which uses an investment-cast frame and a barrel liner, it can, literally, be a 5 minute job. Slice the model. Stretch the frame and liner 1-3/8". Run an integrity check. Run a stress simulation. Save the file. Done. Send it off to the CNC department (where they'll generate tool paths, etc.) to make up the molds for the foundry, and send the new specs off to the barrel supplier for liners.
It's only another 10-15 minutes worth of work to take existing geometry for the .38 Special and rimfire models' adjustable sights, and integrate it into the stretched .327/.357 LCRx frame.

I work with CAD and 3D modeling almost every day, and send 2D or 3D files out for 3D printing, manual machining, CNC machining, or investment casting on a weekly basis. And they're primarily gun parts, tools for guns, tools for customizing or modifying guns, or jigs for building gun parts.
I don't have professional training, or do it for a living. It's a hobby. Yet, even as an 'advanced novice', it would be an easy job.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't try.
Old October 6, 2017, 02:24 PM   #1697
smee78

Cant put it any better than was already said.
Old October 6, 2017, 03:02 PM   #1698
Glenn E. Meyer

Being personal and using stupid slang gets you penalties. To those who reply to such, just report it and we will take care of it. Thus, the offending post and reply are deleted.
Old October 6, 2017, 05:28 PM   #1699
FrankenMauser

Personal disagreements/differences between Truthtellers and I have been taken to PMs, FYI.
Please let it die here.
Old October 6, 2017, 06:39 PM   #1700
saleen322

I got a chance to shoot my Henry Big Boy with the scope on this evening. I have some loads that shoot great from the revolvers and tried them in the Henry. The cast loads were around 2" @ 50 yards but the Federal 100 SP was under 1", 5-shot groups. The revolvers seem to like the cast bullets better.

I am going to play with it some more and maybe load some with a little slower powder. AA9 has been great in the revolvers but maybe a little slower powder may work better in the longer barrel. I will follow up.