The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 16, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
snevensmores

Ah, wonderful, wonderful Illinois...

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but a democratic rep is attempting to pass a law mandating gun owners in our fascist state must maintain a $1 million liability insurance policy. If you're caught without said policy, your FOID card is revoked and all of your guns are then illegal.

If they can't forcibly take our guns away, they legislate them away...

Link:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...76&LegID=41158

GO CARDS!
Old February 16, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
JWT

Illinois certainly does have 'creative' politicians. I wonder what the $1,000,000 insurance policy would do other than perhaps make insurance companies happy. Still, you gotta admit the anit gun crowd is creative.

Hopefully gun owners in Illinois will watch the bills progress and inform their legislators that they are opposed to it.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Huey Long

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but a democratic rep is attempting to pass a law mandating gun owners in our fascist state must maintain a $1 million liability insurance policy. If you're caught without said policy, your FOID card is revoked and all of your guns are then illegal.
What a jerk. That's ridiculous. Last I heard, mandatory auto coverage was only $40,000, at least in this state.

Last edited by Huey Long; February 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:11 PM   #4
vranasaurus

I don't see how making someone have an expensive insurance policy to exericise a right would be constitutional.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:22 PM   #5
nate45

I doubt it will go anywhere, last year, or year before IL politicos tried to pass a magazine ban and it failed. I seriously don't think this nonsense will ever make it out of committee.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Navy joe

But I'll bet if you asked the guy to introduce a bill requiring a driver's license and proof of residency to vote that would be voter suppression.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:29 PM   #7
snevensmores

Quote:
But I'll bet if you asked the guy to introduce a bill requiring a driver's license and proof of residency to vote that would be voter suppression.

GO CARDS!
Old February 16, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
shortwave

Someone needs to check if Dunkin has any relation or close ties in the insurance business. Sounds to me to be a bill to stimulate the insurance business while at the same time stimulating the gun owners prostate:barf:. Hope some calls where made from gunowners to Reps. office.
Old February 16, 2009, 02:37 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Insurance industry may be behind this, but...
I doubt it. People who don't carry Homeowners or Rental insurance in the first place aren't going to care enough to buy it b/c of this, and moving from $100,000(which is pretty paltry) to $1,000,000 doesn't cost all that much and is not all that profitable for the insurance company.

I also enjoy how this is many times the insurance most states require to own an auto.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:41 PM   #10
snevensmores

I wonder if this extremely high dollar number is just a ploy -- that they can back off to mandating $500,000 or so of liability insurance, call it a "compromise," and claim it to be bipartisan.

No matter what, if this passes, I won't be able to afford to be a legal gun owner anymore...

UPDATE: I've already sent an email, and I just placed a call my area's representative in order to determine his position on this bill (though, being an IL democrat, I already have a pretty good idea as to which way he's leaning). No answer at his office. I'll try again before the end of the business day.

GO CARDS!

Last edited by snevensmores; February 16, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old February 16, 2009, 04:00 PM   #11
snevensmores

By the way, here is Rep Dunkin's info if any of you out in Illinois would like to voice your concern...

Kenneth “Ken” Dunkin
(D-Chicago)
5th District

District Office
1520 N. Wells St.
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 266-0340
(312) 266-0699 (fax)

Capitol Office
290-S Stratton Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 782-4535
(217) 782-4213 (fax)

GO CARDS!
Old February 16, 2009, 04:28 PM   #12
#18indycolts

its the same thing with some states making people that own pit bulls carry insurance, dumb,dumb,dumb!
Old February 18, 2009, 12:28 AM   #13
DRD

Considering the behaviour of our Illinois politicians, I'd like them all to have massive insurance to fix things after we convict them. Blago has done a lot more damage than any gun owner.
Old February 18, 2009, 01:02 AM   #14
Huey Long

Quote:
No matter what, if this passes, I won't be able to afford to be a legal gun owner anymore...
I doubt it will pass, unless some sort of exception is made for fudd guns. There are too many farmers and other fudd-types downstate.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
eaglesnester

libality insurance

Here in Canada if you join the NFA (National Firearms Association, Canadian NRA) you get I believe 5 million bucks libality with your membership. Its no big deal. The insurance company that underwrites these policies know that law abiding gun owners are a very, very, low risk for homicides, accidental shootings, property damage, etc. etc.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:26 PM   #16
OnTheFly

Quote:
I doubt it will go anywhere, last year, or year before IL politicos tried to pass a magazine ban and it failed. I seriously don't think this nonsense will ever make it out of committee.
The only way to make sure is for EVERYONE to contact your representatives and voice your opinion. You've got some restrictive laws up there in Illinois and they probably got passed because people were expecting the politicians to use common sense. Well...those laws got passed, so you need to speak up and give them the common sense they don't already possess.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 20, 2009, 12:43 PM   #17
rjrivero

Speculation

There is speculation all ready that if this passes in Illinois, then Obama will use it as a model for the Federal Government.

http://rightsoup.com/gun-insurance/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ls.html?cat=75
Old February 20, 2009, 01:02 PM   #18
chibiker

It would seem that this insurance policy requirement is a result of the "antis" getting very nervous.... Chicago's handgun ban case is in the courts and it would seem that it is going very well, for us I mean.
The Illinois Sheriff's Association overwhelming voted to endorse concealed carry here as well as there being a bill in the House to allow it.
I take it as a sign that they (antis) know it's coming and this is a step towards fighting it. But, what do I know....
Old February 20, 2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Webleymkv

Quote:
UPDATE: I've already sent an email, and I just placed a call my area's representative in order to determine his position on this bill (though, being an IL democrat, I already have a pretty good idea as to which way he's leaning). No answer at his office. I'll try again before the end of the business day.
One thing I learned while living in Illinos is that you cannot determine a politican from that state's position based on his political party. For example, your previous (and also incarcerated) governor, George Ryan was a Republican and was no friend to 2A (I seem to recall an asnine law called the "safe neighborhoods act" that he unsuccessfully tried to ramrod through) while his Democratic opponent, Glen Poshard, was fairly 2A friendly. It seems a better indicator of an Illinois politicians views is whether he is from Chicago or downstate. That being said, downstate Illinois is relatively conservative and most people there have a pretty logical view of firearms. I'd be willing to bet that downstate prevents this law from passing.
Old February 20, 2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I don't see it going anywhere.

What insurance agency out there has any policy that will cover "willfull and/or negligent" acts? IIRC, just about every policy made by an insurance agency that will cover an incident has to be an accident or an act of God.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 20, 2009, 08:35 PM   #21
shortwave

Good point Tuttle. Also if the Ins. indusrty feels they can make a dime off this would it be possible for them to come up with some kind of special policy covering the required needs. If so premiums would probably be outta sight.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:34 PM   #22
DRD

To these antis, it would be even better if there was no insurance coverage that would fit the requirement. No insurance, no guns!
Old February 22, 2009, 06:13 PM   #23
KC9LDB

This states politicians are a joke. They listen to the kids that are my age that hate guns. The kids hate guns because their parents hate guns. Their parents hate guns because the politicians hate guns. It is a vicious cycle out here in the Land of Lincoln. Thus the reason why I like to strut around with my HK MP5 t-shirt on and get the dirty looks from gun haters.
At the same time, I have gotten my friends who hated guns to love them! One time shooting the shotguns changes their opinion now my group of friends have FOID cards or are waiting on FOID cards.
I think that if we as gun owners get people hooked on the sport; Im not talking like starting a cult hahaha; but introduce the sport and show your support, it really has an impact on Illinois' public, I believe we can break the cycle on anti-gun people.
Old February 22, 2009, 06:44 PM   #24
Huey Long

Quote:
This states politicians are a joke. They listen to the kids that are my age that hate guns. The kids hate guns because their parents hate guns. Their parents hate guns because the politicians hate guns. It is a vicious cycle out here in the Land of Lincoln. Thus the reason why I like to strut around with my HK MP5 t-shirt on and get the dirty looks from gun haters.
You should see the idiots when they come here to Arizona and see people walking around with real guns strapped to their hips. Priceless.
Old February 23, 2009, 04:58 AM   #25
KC9LDB

I dream and dream for CCW to come here. I don't know, I just think i would feel safer at school, at work, going to my bank which was robbed twice. You know? Argh, I just don't get it. If you guys in those other states have CCW, Im sure you do but feel free, soak it in, it sucks not having it