The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2008, 08:20 PM   #1
noobert

Green/Blue crust on brass?

i left some brass in a box and when i pulled it out, it had this turquoise crust on it. any ideas?
Old December 19, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2
will hunt 4 food

It is corrosion, If it has pitted the brass throw it out. It can cause a weak spot.
Old December 19, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
noobert

are you sure? i have a bunch of other brass in the same box that are perfectly fine. i read that it can be cat urine, any idea?
Old December 19, 2008, 11:43 PM   #4
tom234

The turquoise crust is verdigris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris
Old December 20, 2008, 07:20 AM   #5
10 Spot Terminator

If I were you I would start by giving the cat a taste of his own medicine That being said Take any good case cleaner or if you dont have any a little comet cleanser on a soft cloth and remove the tarnish. It has to get pretty bad to do any damage to the cases. After you clean them check them in good light with a magnifying glass and just be honest with yourself. If the affected areas cleaned look or feel rough then dont shoot them. if they have very light stains on them I myself wouldnt worry. I have saved many bullets in my day. It was common for many older fellers such as myself to put ammo in fancy leather gunbelts or leather hip cases and they were bad about turning cases green if left in them for long periods of time . I never knew anyone to scrap those rounds , just clean em and shoot em