The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2007, 12:31 AM   #26

The model 19 dash 3 or 4 is my next "planned purchase.
The L frame 686 Mountain gun (7 shot) makes a nice combat revolver choice too. With the tapered 4-inch barrel, it's not much heavier than a 4-inch K frame.

Ronald Reagan
Old February 5, 2007, 11:28 PM   #27
FM12

K frames rock, period. I've carried them off and on for 30 years as both duty weapon and off duty carry. Always felt safe and armed. Love those K-frames!!
Old February 5, 2007, 11:36 PM   #28
Marko Kloos

Preach it, brother. I'm a fellow monk in the Cult of the K.

There's no carry gun that gives me the warm-and-fuzzies like a K-frame with a 3" heavy barrel. The other barrel lengths are nice, too, but the 3" is in a class of its own.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old February 6, 2007, 08:49 PM   #29
Bulldozer

All I own now are K-frames!

I have three K-frame Smiths. Settled on them after a long bout of whittling down a collection gone wild. Nothing else handles as well for me and provides the ideal mix of lethality, firepower, and concealability. I would sooner eat cat food and ramen noodles for a year than part with any of these guns.

3-inch K-frame Model 66-2in Del Fatti ISP-4 X-Draw - IWB Custom Convertible with two SLC-2 and custom 1.25" belt.

Better view of the Del Fatti ISP-4 custom holsters -- can be crossdraw (-5 rake) or strong-side IWB (+15 rake) with variable length ( 1.25 or 1.5") snaps. In dark brown and brass and black and brass.

Model 65LS and Model 66-2

Model 66-2 with Tucker gunbelt, Hume Pack-Six speedloader pouches, and Wild Bill's Summer Heat IWB

Model 65LS with Tucker gunbelt, Hume Pack-Six speedloader pouches, and Hume 715M IWB

Last edited by Bulldozer; February 7, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old February 7, 2007, 02:03 AM   #30
BillCA

Marko & Bulldozer,

Peace be unto you my brothers, and may the blessed Mr. Jinks forever smile upon you with letters of authenticity.

For me, the best carry is the 2 1/2" M19, with its graceful lines and great handling.

Now, someone needs to post a picture of a 6" and we'll have covered the bases!
Old February 7, 2007, 10:58 AM   #31
vanilla_gorilla

I'll be the voice of dissent. I think the Ks are too light. I want a gun that feels like a gun, not a replica. And I want it to fit in my hand well, with enough weight up top to let me know that there's a cylinderfull of something mean above my fist.

I'll stick to the 28.
Old February 7, 2007, 10:53 PM   #32
boa2

Model 19-2!

BILLCA:

Come on now Bill-you know that your Model 19-2, is such a sweet and Mint revolver, that you are just causing everyone to drool(All over their keyboards!)over your "Jewel" of a specimen(Me included!)!
Old February 8, 2007, 12:06 AM   #33
BillCA

Quote:
I'll be the voice of dissent. I think the Ks are too light. I want a gun that feels like a gun, not a replica. And I want it to fit in my hand well, with enough weight up top to let me know that there's a cylinderfull of something mean above my fist.
Blasphemy!

Even though I own a Model 28 and a Model 27, if I'm going to carry around all that extra N-Frame weight, I'm not shootin' no puny .357 out of it.

S&W Model 57 .41 Magnum
Old February 8, 2007, 12:24 AM   #34
HuntAndFish

LOL. Blasphemy indeed. The blue K's are nice, but I prefer the stainless...

Old February 8, 2007, 01:28 AM   #35
boa2

Well, I have a few model 19's that I have just been collecting-but, I have never fired any of these yet!:

My favorite: An 1956 vintage Pre-Model 19!:
Old February 8, 2007, 10:19 AM   #36
VUPDblue

I couldn't resest showing off (again) my newly acquired 66-1 2.5".
This and my 4" King Cobra comprise my 2 favorite magnum carry guns.
Old February 8, 2007, 11:02 AM   #37
Jim Z.

I am a new commer to the cult of the M19...

Here is my 4" 19-5. What a sweetheart to shoot. I would love to find a M19 snubbie for daily carry. I now carry a 642 but a 19 would be just right.

Old February 8, 2007, 02:17 PM   #38
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Hey. don't forget the grand daddy of them all. the Model 10!, I have a few of them, plus a 13, and 19.

S&W revolvers are the best. Who do you know that carries a Python everyday?
Old February 8, 2007, 02:50 PM   #39
boa2

TABING:

You are right about how neat those Model 10's are! Here is a picture of my MINT Pre-Model 10(1946 vintage)!:
Old August 23, 2017, 12:01 PM   #40
Erictalksalot

44 amp I completely agree on the new Smiths I don't even look at them. As far as I'm concerned they aren't a S&W. I'm sure many people like them, but I only want old school Smiths and Colts. I saw the new rendition of the Colt Cobra coming out and it needs an abortion. Hideous.

Sash, I completely agree, I wouldn't put anything on any Smith other than a magna grip. Anything longer than 4" definitely needs bigger grips, but I don't like anything over the 4" guns. The 4" 19's look beautiful with magnas.

Musketeer, I feel like I'm the only person who feels he should practice with what I carry. Everyone lose says don't waste money on defensive rounds at the range. I can shoot 38s in my Taurus 605 at the range, but I carry 180 gr Buffalo Bore flat nosed lead slugs in it. Shooting 38s in that gun feels like shooting a .22 and would most definitely NOT prepare me for the punch of the BB .357 rounds! Those suckers are bad with a capital BAD. I prefer to at least get experience with what I'm shooting. Now just to go shoot for fun I'd use cheaper rounds but I don't want my gun to go boom, I want it to go BOOOOOM!!!

I love K frame Smiths. Unfortunately I only have one, it's a Mod. 15-3, blued snub and it has become my all time favorite handgun. It is in immaculate condition and it is beautiful. It's my house piece. I desperately want a blued 19 snub. Wow, they are gorgeous and definitely with the magna grips. That is one of the next 2 guns I hope to buy. It would definitely be right there with my Model 15 as my other favorite gun. I want a 4 inch as well. Why can't they still make guns like this anymore??? It's a shame, but at the same time I love having them when other do not. My carry gun is a Mod. 36 2" nickel snub square butt. I never see anyone carrying something like that. I know that many people out there do, but I just don't run into them pretty much ever. I love these guns!!!
Old August 23, 2017, 01:10 PM   #41
James K
Member In Memoriam

I like the K-frame revolvers in any caliber, even .22. (Remember the K-22? Arguably the best .22 target revolver ever made.)

The K guns in .357 were never intended for a steady diet of full power 357; they were intended as a smaller, lighter duty gun that could be fired with moderate quantities of .357. But as .357 loads, especially handloads, became hotter and hotter, the rear of the barrels began to show cracks. The barrel tenon of the K frame guns has a half-moon shape cut out, never a problem with .38 Special or reasonable pressure .357 loads, but a problem with super hot loads.

Rumors abound. I know of no K frame revolvers that blew up, no frames that broke or fell apart, no lethal explosions. No "hundreds of thousands of cylinders are deadly bombs" (as one anti-S&W writer claimed). Simply the usual tendency to believe that if x grains of powder is good, x+ grains just must be better.

Jim
Old August 23, 2017, 02:26 PM   #42
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I love my Model 19-3 that I bought brand-spanky new way back in 1975 when I was still in my twenties. It was the first centerfire revolver I ever bought and I still have the box and all the goodies.

My second 357 Mag was this Model 65 I picked up used about 15 years ago.

And just a few years ago I found this nice Model 13-2.

But let's be clear about something. The L frame was not developed to be 'stronger' than a K frame 357 Magnum. At least not in the sense that the cylinder could handle more powerful loads. The L frame was developed so the clearance cut at the bottom of the forcing cone on a K frame revolver could be eliminated. Going back to at least 1905, K frame revolvers have always had a clearance cut on the bottom of the forcing cone to clear the gas ring on the cylinder. This had the effect of making the forcing cone weaker at the six O'clock position. This was never a problem with 38 Special ammunition, but when 357 Magnum ammo started moving through the forcing cone, it could be a problem, particularly with light, high velocity bullets.

Exactly as was outlined in the article referred to.

Here is a photo of the forcing cone on my Model 13-2. Notice the 'flat' or clearance cut.

Here is the forcing cone on the only L frame revolver I own, a 686-6. Notice there is no 'flat' on the bottom of the forcing cone. The forcing cone is full thickness for it's entire diameter.

Personally, I prefer to fire 357 Mag ammo through an N frame, such as the Model 28. It too has no clearance cut on the bottom of the forcing cone. I prefer the way the heavy N frame soaks up recoil. I would post a photo, but this board only allows six photos per post.

I love my 19-3, particularly since it was my first centerfire revolver, but I usually only fire 38 Specials out of it.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:35 PM   #43
UncleEd

The Models 15/67 are my favorite but I'm also partial to the Models
19/66.

BUT in defense of the L-frame in at least one configuration, the
686s plus with 2.5 or 3-inch barrels are marginally heavier and
larger than a 6-shot Model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel.

According to the S&W site, a 686 plus (yes an extra round) with
2.5 inch barrel is 34.1 ounces. The current Model 66 with 2 3/4-
inch barrel is 33.5 ounces.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:37 PM   #44
roashooter

I do value my two "K" frames S&Ws..M19 &M17 both six inch .(P&R,TT,TH,)...bought in the mid 70s...asper recommendations...shot 38s....for fun...carried 357 for business...still have them...still look new....still tight....but I did get a 686 when they first came out (no dash)...just to give my M19 a deserved rest...

was not long before I added the M29...6inch...same P&R, TT,TH,

the shop I frequented, was having an event, had a S&W rep giving minor tune ups for free....he matched the M19&M17 to have the same trigger break....

Last edited by roashooter; August 23, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:46 PM   #45
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ooops, my bad. I said the cut in the .357 K frame barrel is "half moon shaped." It is a straight cut. In any case, it weakens the barrel tenon at that point, a problem corrected in the L frame, as Driftwood's pictures show very well.

Jim
Old August 24, 2017, 08:52 AM   #46
pete2

I think the K frames are best of the lot. The 19 the best of the Ks. The right size, the right weight, .357 mag., easy to shoot. Very accurate. It's a shame S&W doesn't build them anymore. If the did they would not be the same, they don't have the quality the older guns have. The 14,15 and 17 ain't bad either.
Old August 24, 2017, 10:46 AM   #47
Dave T

I was glad to see a few people stand up to all this K-frame partisanship. (smile)

I personally prefer the N-frame and, if I have to have a lighter revolver the L-frame, but I don't want to get into an argument about it.

To all those who love K-frame Magnums, more power to ya.

Dave
Old August 24, 2017, 03:39 PM   #48
jetinteriorguy

Unfortunately I don't have any K frame magnums, I've been an N frame guy since the 80's. Just got my first K frame, a model 14-3 a few years ago. Fell in love, what a beautiful balanced easy to handle pistol. And man is it accurate. Since then I've added a model 67 and a model 15, simply the easiest shooting guns I have. Still on the lookout for a nice 4" Model 19 that's affordable but around here they're not up for sale very often and pricey when they are. But, I'm patient, I'll eventually find one.
Old August 24, 2017, 04:47 PM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I personally prefer the N-frame and, if I have to have a lighter revolver the L-frame, but I don't want to get into an argument about it.
There's no argument, the L frame isn't significantly lighter than the N frame guns. The same weight, or within an ounce or two, with the same barrel lengths.

The L frame is smaller, but the full barrel underlug means the total weight is the same as a (non underlugged) N frame. But, the balance is much different in the hand.
Old August 24, 2017, 05:36 PM   #50
Dave T

The L-frame has considerably less bulk, particularly in the cylinder, than the N-frame. I can conceal an L-frame when an N-frame leaves a noticeable bulge.

Dave