The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1
fredvon4

CeraKote

So I got a great deal on a Remington 700 through gun broker

BUT the delivered rifle has two barrel areas where the Cerakote has worn down to shiny steel

No searches yet... not willing to send to Remington... not their problem
Not willing to fuss with the seller as it is a deeply discounted rifle

First ever rifle with cerakote

Opinion about self refinish or other option please

In the past I have had gunsmiths re-blue and a few times used cold bluing to manage scrapes and field damage

Too many "been there done that" guys here to not ask first
Old October 11, 2017, 03:36 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

Since the problem areas show shiny steel, I'm assuming this is on the barrel. How bad/big are the areas? What color is the cerakote? I paint all my guns myself using Duracoat. Very easy for the DIY person. I have a an air compressor and air brush set up for it, but they sell aerosol cans so anybody can do it. If you're picky and want cerakote, there are cerakote "applicators" everywhere. Shouldn't be hard to google one in your area. If it's just a barrel, it shouldn't cost much to do. If you don't mind what coating it is, get the duracoat aerosol can of your color choice and apply it yourself. Be sure to do the proper prep work before painting. If you're REALLY not picky, plain ol spray paint will work too.
Personally, I think cerakote is a superior product to duracoat. But duracoat works great in my opinion. The guns I treasure most, I get professionally cerakoted. The rest, I duracoat in my garage. I shoot plenty enough and none have shown wear and tear yet. I'm sure they will eventually, but then I would just repaint them.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:22 PM   #3
Scorch

Don't try it yourself. Have it re-coated by a licensed Cerakote applier. Quick, easy, end of problem.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:33 PM   #4
tobnpr

Call me if you don't have a local shop.
I'll re-coat it for you, no charge if its a stocked color if you want to ship the barreled action.

Did the seller disclose this to you before you purchased?
Outside of the bolt/receiver raceway there aren't any real "wear" areas on a rifle- usually if the coating looks that way it's due to improper prep, application, curing. The stuff is pretty much bulletproof.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 11, 2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Txhillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
Call me if you don't have a local shop.
I'll re-coat it for you, no charge if its a stocked color if you want to ship the barreled action.

Did the seller disclose this to you before you purchased?
Outside of the bolt/receiver raceway there aren't any real "wear" areas on a rifle- usually if the coating looks that way it's due to improper prep, application, curing. The stuff is pretty much bulletproof.
Your one hell of a guy! A big thumbs up to you tobnpr.
Old October 12, 2017, 01:04 PM   #6
Don Fischer

Well, for free is a very good deal, I could go for that! But generally I don't have a lot of money to spend on repairs so I butcher up thing's myself. I probably have it one a rifle or two but don't really know what it is Reading this I suspect it's some king of paint! I'd get a paint the color of the rest of the barrel and spray it myself. It is black, I'd use high temp engine paint. Sounds like maybe another problem you could address at the same time. You said shiny spots from the stock rubbing on the barrel? That mean's you got a hitch in the barrel bedding! I'd identify the spot and open the bedding up enough to release the pressure point. Well if it were me, I'd float the whole thing.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:41 AM   #7
fredvon4

Thanks guys...

Not disclosed by seller . I assume they opened the box, made sure all the stuff was in there, double checked the SN against their records, boxed it back up, and shipped to my FFL.

Unless they were looking for these problem areas it would go unnoticed. When I picked up at my FFL I opened and did not see the skuffing. Later at home I did

I have not yet researched the year of MFG...but I bet is a few years old. The Cerekote wear area of concern in near the end of the barrel where it sat inside hard white foam packing. Looks like the carton just got moved around a bit/lot over the years and sliding around in the hard foam skuffed up the finish down to bare metal in a very small area...

Back on the receiver that also was sitting in the hard foam packing is a small skuff area that is just smoothed down vs the dull texture Black Cerekote

All in all, I am happy with the rifle and the cost. I have many beat up field guns. This is just first with Cerekote and I really was looking for advise on how to treat a wear through to bare metal... good advice here, did other research and have a local guy (just found) who is set up to do Cerekote

tobnpr. Thank you for your generous offer. My local guy will have it back to me next week in time to package for son's birth day
Old October 13, 2017, 11:41 AM   #8
tobnpr

Good luck with it.
FYI, Cerakote (H-Series) cannot be "touched-up". If your local guy is reputable I'm sure he knows this- it all needs to be blasted back to bare metal, and then all normal prep as though it were being coated for the first time.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 13, 2017, 02:02 PM   #9
fredvon4

Yes sir...he looked at it and quoted a total refinish for a price I can live with

If it was not a gift I would just live with it... it's not really that bad and I am pretty sure I could do my usual tricks to keep rust at bay for any typical carbon steel barrel

Any way done deal... I learned a lot about Cerekote

Thanks all
Old October 16, 2017, 08:50 AM   #10
ccr

Make sure he is doing the prep work properly. He should parkerize the metal first for an additional layer of rust protection

The prep work is 90% of a good refinish
423-639-8924