The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 29, 2017, 10:45 PM   #26
HisSoldier

Quote:
replace the rubber Pachmier grips
I've found rust under rubber grips too often to have them on a blued gun. You made a good choice.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old September 30, 2017, 01:20 PM   #27
Skarekrow88

This. Very glad I didn't hesitate on it as I was later told that a dozen prospective buyers were "coming back to get it." I had been looking to get myself a 1911 for years and just never came across the right one. I thought for a while I wanted a GI model, and I still do, but for some reason the stainless models tickled my fancy so that's what I was hunting for. I was coming close to buying a new stainless Colt Rail Gun for twice the price when my buddy that worked at the LGS said "wait a minute, we just got this in" and just like that I forgot all about the rail gun. If I do my part it puts a hole right where I intended it to and never a hiccup out of it. Now I want a GI

I just got a trade offer for a blued M1991A1 all factory original (GI style) for my SIG P226R that I'm still kicking around. Not sure about it though as my 226 is my only SIG and I don't want to leave "the club"

Old October 1, 2017, 08:17 PM   #28
P-990

At the moment mine seems to be a simple Series 70 Colt Competition Model in .45 ACP. While I'd like to have a checkered front strap, that's the only option I can think of wanting that this pistol doesn't have. And honestly, I can live without that considering how well this one shoots and how reliable it's been. I'm content to simply leave it with the green VZ grips, keep it cleaned and oiled and put rounds through it when time allows.

(Now I DO really want to put my hands on one of the new Colt Gold Cup National Match models. Or maybe a Gold Cup Trophy. Or a Delta Elite. Or one of each... )
Old October 4, 2017, 07:51 PM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

My 1911 Nirvana may seem a little Plain Jane for some: Gov't model, park'd, with night sights and a beavertail. That's all I really need.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:06 PM   #30
Rockrivr1

Mine is a custom build I had done after years of scrimping and saving to get it done. She's built on a Caspian Carbon frame and slide with a Kart barrel and high end parts. She's one sweet 1911.

Old October 4, 2017, 08:18 PM   #31
Spats McGee
Staff

^^^Dagnabbit, sometimes we really need a "like" button!
Old October 5, 2017, 07:37 AM   #32
5whiskey

Quote:
My 1911 Nirvana may seem a little Plain Jane for some: Gov't model, park'd, with night sights and a beavertail.
Pretty much where I'm at at this point in life. I would like a really nice blued Colt with a Stainless trigger, slide stop, safety, and hammer.

Again there are some fine looking pistols being posted. I especially like the grips on P-990's piece.
Old October 5, 2017, 05:52 PM   #33
Rinspeed

My 1911 Nirvana would something built to my specs by Jason Burton, a close second would be if I ever came across an original Pachmayr Combat Special, preferably for around $1800.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:11 AM   #34
WC145

I don't know that 1911 nirvana can be reached with a single gun, the design is so versatile and with different variations on the 1911 theme out there they can be set up for very specific tasks or built to do everything in one package.

I've reached my personal 1911 nirvana but it's taken lots of trial and error and I've bought, sold, and traded I don't know how many 1911s over the years to get here but my 1911 nirvana has been achieved through several guns, not just one. I have other nice 1911s but these four are my 1911 nirvana...

I found concealed carry nirvana with my Alchemy Custom 'Hand of Doom' Springfield LW Champion-

Competition nirvana came in the form of this first year Ed Brown Special Forces (EB built them on Les Baer frames and slides back then)-

Best looking and probably coolest 1911 I own nirvana belongs to my King's Gun Works custom 1948 Colt Commercial Gov't. This gun was customized back in the '70s by "Al" Capone himself and received a couple of internal upgrades and tuning from John Harrison earlier this year.

The closest I've come to 1911 nirvana with a single pistol is this Colt ORM 1991A1 in .38 Super/9mm/9x23W built by Robin Deitrch. This gun was built to be my 'do everything' gun and that goal was met in fine fashion. It is fitted with three different barrels and bushings so I can switch calibers depending on my needs. It is egually suited for concealed carry/self defense as it is competition and hunting. It is accurate, reliable, comfortable in the hand, and looks terrific. If I were ever forced to choose just one 1911 to keep, this would be it.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old October 9, 2017, 09:43 AM   #35
highpower3006

I don't have much use for modern 1911's. While I do have a few newer Colts, generally speaking, they just don't interest me. What really lights my fire is US Property marked 1911's

1917, 1918

Old October 9, 2017, 10:10 AM   #36
Rob228

Quote:
At the moment mine seems to be a simple Series 70 Colt Competition Model in .45 ACP. While I'd like to have a checkered front strap, that's the only option I can think of wanting that this pistol doesn't have. And honestly, I can live without that considering how well this one shoots and how reliable it's been. I'm content to simply leave it with the green VZ grips, keep it cleaned and oiled and put rounds through it when time allows.
I use skateboard deck tape on my front strap. Cut a piece to fit the front strap and go about 1/16-1/8" under your grips. It comes off readily, and when it wears down, well, the $8.00 you spend on a skateboard's worth of deck tape will cover quite a few front straps.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:57 PM   #37
Hun Shooter

Wow, some absolutely stunning 1911s on here.

Here are mine:

Old October 9, 2017, 08:21 PM   #38
SA1911

I have an S&W 1911, the model that immediately followed the billboard model. It's beyond accurate & 100% reliable. The deal was too good to pass up.

I've very recently picked up a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded Model. I've installed a one-piece full length rod gun on it. So far, it's been 100% reliable and it's far more accurate than I had expected. I gravitated to the Loaded Model because it came stock with most of what I'd of had done to a 1911-A1.

One could easily spend over 5K for a 1911-A1. At what point does diminishing returns set in? If a $500 1911-A1 is 100% reliable and accurate, of what benefit is a $4,500 premium?

I'll prepare for incoming: my opinion is it's heresy for a 1911-A1 to be chambered for any cartridge but the proven .45 ACP. Keep in mind that that's merely my 1911-A1 opinion. Truth be told, I wouldn't turn down a great deal on a 1911-A1 in 9MM. All I'd have to do is modify it to fire .45 ACP rounds ;-)