The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2016, 08:19 PM   #1
68shooter

Powder Charges for 115gr 9mm XTP vs RN Plated

Greetings!

New to the forum and new to reloading!

I appears that a particular starting charge for the 115 gr. Hornady XTP , ( 4.5 gr. of Tight Group) is ok for the that bullet but cannot seem to find confirmation of the same weight in the Rainier RN plated bullet. In fact, it appears that a round nose bullet of the same weight as a hollow point appears to call for a lighter charge. Do I understand this correctly or not?

what are your thoughts and is there a particular reason for this or am I dreaming?

Thanks for any feedback and assistance.
Old February 12, 2016, 10:10 PM   #2
hartcreek

You need to look better and at more manuals. Same weight bullet should show same powder charge. The problem is that the Raniers are plated and some folks do not load them as hot. I load them the same but then I was loading Raniers before Berrys came along.
Old February 12, 2016, 10:20 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Both Sierra and Speer manuals top out at 4.5 grains for their 115's (both RN & HP's). So I would recommend starting a little lower.

If you're just making basic range shooters - and judging by the powder and bullet being used, I would assume this to be the case - don't concern yourself with it being plated. If you were trying to drive them really hard, then a discussion about the limitations of plated bullets would be warranted; but otherwise, it's not really a factor.

Assuming you're making range ammo, I like your bullet/powder combination. Should run clean and consistent.

What's your gun? What's your purpose for these?
Old February 12, 2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Tsquared

I do not load 115. I do load 124, 135, & 147 with TiteGroup (mostly 124). With the heavier bullets I like using close to the minimum recommended powder loads. TG is a very fast powder and usually has a very small window where it performs very well. Get a chronograph and work up your loads in .1 grain increments starting low.

I use the Barry's info as my guide for plated. I have found very little difference in Barry's vs. other RN or FP plated projectiles and load them the same. I have had great success with RMR Match plated FP 124gr. as a target round. I have also found that the poly coated SWC runs about 50fps faster with the same load as plated and since I am loading at the bottom of the recommended load data I feel I have a good round.
Old February 12, 2016, 10:52 PM   #5
68shooter

I only loaded 10 rounds @ 4.6 gr. with rainier RN. I think that's a little hot to start with the RN. Lee manual shows starting charge for XTP at 4.5 gr. and a max of 4.8 gr. I don't feel comfortable starting at 4.6 for RN based on what I am reading ,,,,,,,,although I hear 115 gr, is 115 gr.

My gun is Taurus PT92,,it runs factory 115 gr. RN very well but looking for consistency and any better accuracy.
My carry weapon is 1911.
I'll start 45 ACP next and my AR is 6.8 SPC. Gearing up for that too.

also shoot .270 and 300 Win Mag!
Old February 15, 2016, 09:33 PM   #6
xracer98

115 gn RN... running 4.2gn of Titegroup and making 125 power factor..

Have taken them up past the max without any over pressure signs...