The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Yankee Traveler

S&W M&P 9mm, Which options?

I think I am going to purchase an M&P in 9mm, 4.25" barrel.

But with all the options on the S&W website, I'm left confused and I ask your opinions.

First, are they all DAO? only a few of the models are listed as Double Action Only.

Second, thumb safety or no thumb safety? My 1911 has a thumb safety so I do not see it as a hinderance, but what are the pros and cons?

Third, magazine safety or not? What are the pros and cons of this?

Fourth, Pro Series, VTAC, or basic? I am leaning not...I kinda like the "Range Kit" with the holster and spare mags, but is the pro worth it? I did not want to hijack anothers thread with extra questions.

Thoughts? Comments? Smarmy remarks? Clarifications?

No, not .40, .45, or .357 sig.
9mm
Old January 11, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Yankee Traveler

And, of course, Thanks in advance for any and all participation.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Madcap_Magician

All M&Ps are double action only striker-fired guns. I prefer no thumb safety, especially on the M&P, where it looks like it was stuck on as a bit of an afterthought. Magazine safety is a matter of preference, I generally prefer no.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4
zincwarrior

Quote:
I think I am going to purchase an M&P in 9mm, 4.25" barrel.
**Good deal.

Quote:
First, are they all DAO? only a few of the models are listed as Double Action Only.
***All the M&P 9mms are DA only. You can get it tweeked to competition level or leave it at the 6.5lb pull weight. You need to run about 600 rounds through it to really smooth it out.

Quote:
Second, thumb safety or no thumb safety? My 1911 has a thumb safety so I do not see it as a hinderance, but what are the pros and cons?
***That’s a personal thing. If you are comfortable with a thumb safety then do what works for you. Pro-its more safe, especially where the trigger is accidentally snagged on something. Con-you have to drop the safety. If you have that muscle memory then its not an issue for you.
Quote:
***Mag safeties are good for…what are they good for again? Cons you can’t fire if you’re changing mags. I’d proffer if you have no mag in the well you’re out and are changing anyway. Having said that I have one without the mag safety. Some states require them (CA)

Quote:
Fourth, Pro Series, VTAC, or basic? I am leaning not...I kinda like the "Range Kit" with the holster and spare mags, but is the pro worth it? I did not want to hijack anothers thread with extra questions.
Pro series has a better trigger, and night sights. Most people swear by Apex kits, Burwell, or other smiths to get the trigger to where you want to be. If you plan to play with your pistol a little, to get the sights and trigger you want in particular (or don’t care) get a basic and tweak to taste. Same to same for the range kit.

Take your time. Prices are going to be weird for a bit, until the freakout dies down.

I'll note on mine:
*Dawson adjustable sight
*fiberoptic front sight.
*Burwell trigger job to 3.5 lb
*KKM precision barrel.

Its quite nice.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:03 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Quote:
Mag safeties are good for…what are they good for again?
You can "turn off" the gun by dropping the mag. Some LE agencies like this because a LEO can disable the gun if he/she is about to lose it in a wrestling match with a suspect. Some civilians like this because the gun can be left at bedside or in a car glove compartment with less concern that an unauthorized user can fire it.

Manual safeties will do this, but you're a lot more likely to notice that the mag is out than when the little safety lever is off.

One other con is that some practical shooting competitions require that the pistol be cleared and decocked before a shooter leaves the firing line. With a mag disconnect and no manual decocker, it is impossible to safely drop the striker unless the shooter carries a spare empty mag for this purpose.

I regard mag disconnects as a matter of personal choice.

All that being said, in states where they're not required, it seems that dealers very rarely stock mag-disconnect M&Ps. The ONLY mag-disconnect M&P I have ever seen was a used one at a pawn shop; the clerk told me that the former owner was a sheriff's deputy who had purchased the pistol through the department's LE purchase program, and he could only order one that met the department's specs.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:20 PM   #6
ripnbst

I prefer as few safeties as possible. Less to deal with in a time of high stress and less stuff to malfunction. Not to mention overall clean lines for looks and nothing to snag on anything.

Mine is a compact model and don't be fooled by "compact". M&P compact is somewhere between the sub-compact and compact of Glocks. My M&P9c is noticeably smaller than the G19.

Regarding what size or package you should get, what will you be using it for? If you plan to concealed carry it at all I would say the Pro model is out. The VTAC looks cool in FDE but that's about the only difference IMO. I've heard the trigger is slightly better on the VTAC than standard models but to me its not worth the added $$$ they are asking for it.

I'd sooner buy the regular range kit package and replace the trigger with apex parts. Look em up, "APEX M&P trigger".

Now that I have my 9c, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 9 Pro for shooting competitions.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:29 PM   #7
tristar viper

Hey ripnbst, I just recently started a thread about the M&P vs the M&P Pro....maybe you've already seen it.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Hoosier_Daddy

There are two versions of the M&P 9 Pro.
One with 4.25" barrell and night sights.
One with 5 or 5.25" barrell and a green fiber optic front sight and Novak rear sight.
The PRO has a slghtly different trigger pull than the std M&P9. The Pro is about 4-1/2 lb pull versus the stds 6 lb pull.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:37 AM   #9
breakingcontact

Thumb safety, yes.
Mag disconnect, no.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

For a carry gun, I prefer no safety and for any gun, I would avoid the magazine disconnect feature.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Officer's Match

It's obviously a personal choice. I'd take a non-thumb safety, with the mag safety so I could disconnect it myself and not have the obnoxious warning etched on the slide.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:14 PM   #12
jaytothekizzay

Thunb safety... no. Mag disconnect... no.your defensive weapon should go bang anytime you pull the trigger. In a self defence situation, the only thing you should be thinking about is eliminating the threat. Your safety device is between your ears
Old January 13, 2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Yankee Traveler

I appreciate all the comments.

That said, it looks like the range kit, or at least the range kit offered around here, is no thumb safety and no mag disconnect.

That will probably be what I get, as it comes with the holsters, 3 mags and a speed loader.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:41 PM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

Yankee Traveler

Quote:

LOL, the first time I shot a Glock I was convinced it was a SA.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:54 AM   #15
h2otoo

With the current supply situation, you may be limited to what you can find. I picked one up without the thumb safety, but had the mag disconnect. My preference would have been neither. The deal was too good to pass up, and it was the only one around at the time. He did have a compact also, may go back for that one

Bob
Old January 14, 2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Officer's Match

Quote:
With the current supply situation, you may be limited to what you can find. I picked one up without the thumb safety, but had the mag disconnect. My preference would have been neither. The deal was too good to pass up, and it was the only one around at the time. He did have a compact also, may go back for that one

Bob
Like I said, that's the model to have, as you can easily disable the mag safety, whereas if you get a pistol without it, you'll be stuck with the ugly warning etched on the slide.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:40 AM   #17
h2otoo

^Good point about the "ugly warning". I got the M&P 22 and that has a full size bill board on the slide.

I have already checked out the mag disconnect removal on YouTube, may go ahead and do it.

Bob
Old January 14, 2013, 02:43 PM   #18
mes228

M&P

I suggest the PRO with C.O.R.E. (Competition Optical Ready Equipment). I first purchased the FN Tactical with the RMR red dot the slide is machined for. Great combo with two negatives ie too big and too expensive (FN plus RMR is approx. $1600).

S&W M&P CORE Pro copied the FN and it is easily carried concealed. They comes with 4 mounting "plates" for various miniature red dots. The slide is pre-machined to accept them. I chose the J-Point as it's the lightest & smallest of the red dots to put on mine. There are some aspects of the JP that are an aggravation (not waterproof, can go dead by battery shorting against the pistol steel. Correct this by electrical tape covering battery) . However the trade off is small, light, and less expensive. Installation is a 5 minute job, sighting in a breeze, and the iron sights co-witness. Both M&P & J-Point will cost approx. $900 (at least before all this craziness in gun sales. May cost $10,000 now for all I know (grin). I like the combo and it's very accurate, light, carries well and transforms the pistol into something you can shoot squirrels in the head at 25 yards. Or hit a 8" circle at 75 yards repeatedly. Try one - I bet you like it. Actually I bet you LOVE it.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Yankee Traveler

Code:
if you get a pistol without it, you'll be stuck with the ugly warning etched on the slide.

Thanks Officers Match, that is the deal breaker right there. I think I would even rather have the thumb safety then the warning billboard.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Hoosier_Daddy

I think if you can find any M&P in 9 mm now, you are one lucky duck.
I just lucked into one last week and ws totally shocked it was available and bought it immediately.

It was the "full size 4-1/4" , no thumb safety and no magazine disconnect. Exactly what I wanted.

In a few weeks I will drop a dime on an Apex trigger for it and a set of Trijicons sights.