The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 6, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1
twr0305

Scope MOA

Hey everyone,

I have been on the forum a while, but just looking around, seeing a lot of good information.

I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to. I have a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 BDC on Rem 700 7mm Mag, sited in dead on at 200 yds. I took it out a couple months ago to try to stretch my shooting some. Everything was going great until I wanted to go out past 400 yds which to me doesn't seem that far. When I tried to adjust my scope up to shoot farther, it would only make it 5.5 MOA above zero. My question is, why is there so little adjustment available in my scope?

The base and mounts for the scope, I believe, are the typical 0 MOA base and mounts. I just don't see how there could be so little adjustment available even with these mounts. Is there something I should be looking for, or have it mounted different? I know there are 20+ MOA bases but I was just wondering if there was something I could do to extend the MOA I have now before I had to go out and get new mounts?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Most scopes have at least an internal adjustment range of at least 40 MOA.....

Did you have to make a large elevation adjustment to get it zeroed? Most scopes come optically centered from the factory so you should have had 20 MOA of adjustment in either direction to begin with.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
twr0305

I had to adjust it an unbelievable amount when I first sighted it in. It is most definitely not centered.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4
g.willikers

It sounds like the scope is being overly adjusted to compensate for a mount or rings problem.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:14 PM   #5
geetarman

Is it possible your rings are not correct for your rifle?

I know Ruger M77 have different height rings from front to back. If they were reversed, you would have serious problems with elevation.

What you describe does NOT sound normal.

It will be a job, but you might want to re-center your scope adjustments and check your crosshair with a laser bore sight. The kind of gross error you are describing sounds like a major problem with either the scope rings or the base.

Take your elevation knob and windage knob and turn them in one direction until they hit the stop. Don't force them.

Turn each of them in the opposite direction until you hit the stop and COUNT THE NUMBER OF TURNS. Again, don't force them.

Now take each of those adjustments and reverse direction again and turn them 1/2 number of the turns required to go from stop to stop.

For example if it takes 20 turns to go from stop to stop, the zero point is approximately 10 turns.

Use a laser bore sight or just look through the barrel at a target about 25 yards away.

Your crosshairs SHOULD be close. You should NOT be running out of adjustment to dial in the elevation.

Is it possible the base is not machined correctly or could you have some junk under the base?

I have a couple of Remington 700 and have not experienced that kind of major disconnect on either one.

HTH

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 6, 2012, 04:37 PM   #6
twr0305

I will definitely have to take a look at that. I knew something wasn't right when I went out shooting and I questioned it a little when I first sighted it in but back then I wasn't worried about shooting longer distances
Old December 6, 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

I agree with G. Willikers. The scope is probably just fine, it is your mounts (rings or bases) that are the root cause of the problem.

You might have to take it to a gunsmith to get those things fixed.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:48 PM   #8
big al hunter

It sounds like your barrel shoots a little different than most. My rem 700 in 243 shoots different weight bullets as much as 8 moa different. Each weight shot 3/4 moa or better but the poi was very different. Try a different weight bullet. If it does not change things get a 20 moa base.

Tags
moa , scope