The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2010, 01:12 AM   #1
americanshotgunner

remington model 11 id

I recently purchased a remington model 11 ser #177xxx. The ser # is on the rec and the barrel. The barrel also appears to have a D155 on the bottom. It has the safety in front of the trigger. The stock and forearm I think are original and have no checkering but the wood is is real nice. Can anyone give me any info on this like value, date of manufacture, etc. Please and thanks.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
jp_over

give rem a call and take a look on gunbroker - this is where i'd start
Old February 16, 2010, 02:56 AM   #3
DG45

If your gun has the safety in front of the trigger, its old; pre 1928 I think. because I think 1928 is when they changed that. (But thats from memory-always shaky - and I could be wrong.) It might be helpful to post a few photos of your gun on this forum. Sometimes where something is located on the gun is important - like where on the receiver is the serial number? is it under the receiver, or on the side of the receiver? The REAL early guns seem to have had them on the bottom of the receiver. If you have one of those, no one on the forum may be able to tell you the exact year it was manufactured. The Remington codes used to identify the exact year of manufacture seem to have come along fairly late in the game, and from what I've read from other members those codes are not useful with real early Model 11's. But most of us who love Model 11s, do enjoy seeing photos of them, regardless of condition. Sure, they all look alike in some ways, but each one seems to have its own special character. Why not show your gun off? And take some photos of the markings on the gun too.
Old February 16, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
publius

I think DG45 is right on, it is an old one. I don't know if it's from the '20's but it's pre-war. Cool gun, a friend had one in mint condition.
Old February 19, 2010, 01:24 PM   #5
bwdilli

I have a Model 11 with the same safety as yours. Its serial is 249###. Remington dated it as 1923. The barrel codes dated it the same. The barrel codes began in 1921. Your shotgun is most likely predates the barrel codes.

Remington will date your shotgun for you. You can all 800-243-9700 Mon-Fri 9-5 EST or email their help center but you have to sign up with their site for that. You can also request owners manuals for your firearms. I've done this with a couple of my Remingtons, it's usually a photocopy.