The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 17, 2002, 06:57 AM   #1
ATeaM

Accosted by a naked man

Jezus !

Last night I crashed around 8:00 PM, tired from an active day. I woke up at 3:00 AM disoriented and had too much energy to go back to sleep, so I decided to go for a walk. My neighborhood is an oasis from a rather bad part of town. It's is considered a hip place to live, quiet, fairly affluent. There's some petty crime and homelessness but I haven't had a major situation in the two years I have lived here (unlike my last place). So anyways, it's three in the morning and I'm walking down my street, I cut down a side avenue that leads to the main strip. As I'm walking along I notice a man in the shadows approaching. He appeared to have his shirt off, which didn't strike me as unusual because it was pretty hot out. Anyways, as he passes I can't help but notice that the guy is COMPLETELY BUTT NAKED ! Holy **** Batman ! We got a situation. So this naked guy, ding a ling swinging to and fro strolls right by cool as can be, expressionless. I was completely in shock. I played it off and walked by pretending it was no big deal but part of me was stressing over whether I was going to have to fight a naked man or run. AteaM runs from nobody, but this particular situation called for a different strategy. about 5 yards past I burst out laughing which upset the rather large naked guy. He turned and hissed at me ! Which provoked even more laughter hoping someone else was around to see this. Which, unfortunately, no one was.

Now this wasn't the first time I have seen public nudity, but the timing and the location completely threw me off. I was caught off guard and didn't know how to respond. "Was the guy just a pervert ? Like a flasher ?" I thought to myself, it was too strange an experience to accurately describe, but I definitely didn't respond fast enough. What would you have done ?
Old June 17, 2002, 07:10 AM   #2
foghornl

This is the one time I would vote for pepper spray. Most effective applied to bear-azz nekkid bad guy between navel & knees......
Old June 17, 2002, 09:13 AM   #3
Betty

Well, him being all nekkid and all - it was easy to tell he wasn't "armed". I'd probably whip out my camera, snap a shot and run like hell!
Old June 17, 2002, 09:29 AM   #4
KSFreeman

They only come out at night. Avoidance is key.

Buy a treadmill for the basement.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:04 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Three AM, too hot to sleep. Where is the problem ?

He may have hissed but at least he didn't have a hissy fit.

"They only come out at night".......both of you.

Sam
Old June 17, 2002, 12:20 PM   #6
Edward429451

He was undoubtably drugged up. I'da laughed like you did and if he came at me I'd run. People with clothes on can run lots faster than nekkid people, nothing needs tied down!

The guy obviously hasn't read my sig line!
Old June 17, 2002, 12:58 PM   #7
CWL

In Berkeley, he'd just be expressing his constitutional rights in taking a walk! -Or go to class.

Seen too much of this in N. CA to notice beyond having amusement.

He didn't appear to be threatening.

Then again, at 3:00AM , you should have already been in condition yellow if going outside, you should have gone onto higher alert whenever anybody starts to walk up to you. Clothed or not.

Just be more aware of the sitation around you at all times, especially when you are putting yourself into the streets.
Old June 17, 2002, 03:39 PM   #8
ATeaM

"In Berkeley, he'd just be expressing his constitutional rights in taking a walk! -Or go to class."

Yep ! Twice in Berkeley I saw this. Once a large group of old saggy hippies covered in mud running up Telegraph and then that student who was booted for walking around naked.
Old June 17, 2002, 04:31 PM   #9
CWL

Naw, that student was allowed to attend class naked.

He eventually was booted for poor grades.
Old June 17, 2002, 05:33 PM   #10
krept

hahah great post

In all seriousness, a common theme with people on LSD or PCP is to venture forth exploring their new world in their birthday suit.

Even a pinner guy can be dangerous under the influence of these drugs. Definitely a good situation to let 5-0 take the reigns.

I have to ask... are you SURE this wasn't a ninja practicing invisibility training?
Old June 17, 2002, 05:35 PM   #11
OF

You could get in a alot of trouble OC'ing somebody who wasn't threatening you in a very serious way.

Guy walking around with no clothes on is only a threat to your composure.

Live and let live I always say!

- Gabe