The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1
jmar

Why i won't buy a Pietta: Open Letter

Simple. Piettas markings that go across the barrel, why do they think it's a good idea? Why not make it hidden like other brands, Only reason they're used is to identify the gun, and also to know to use "black powder only" 'more on that later'. Well those are both things that need to be done only ONCE, after that its just a huge cosmetic flaw.

About the black powder only, why can't this just be in the manual? It's common sense, anybody new to the hobby has to do their research anyways, you cant just go buy cartridges. You need powder, a measuring tool, flask, primers, and projectiles at the minimum! If you haven't learnt or consulted your manual by then, it's entirely your fault not the companies. Of course if this is a legal issue then fine but make it hidden like Ubertis!

Again the markings are something that is used once per owner, after that its completely irrelevant and just makes these guns ugly. The manufacturer mark is something that should be on the gun but is there a reason its right on the side of the barrel in the largest lettering possible? Pietta do you think you get free marketing this way? I think this gives you less sales personally. Why not again... hide it!? Even putting it somewhere completely hidden like covered by the trigger guard would put you steps above the competition. If someone is curious what brand it is they'll ask the owner.

The reason this is a big deal is some people want to use their guns in films, reenactions, pictures, etc. Even people who like to age and weather their guns have no chance on making their guns look classic.

So to sum it up, please change your markings Pietta. You make good quality guns that no other brands make, but i refuse to buy for the reasons stated and many others agree. Thanks

This is essentially the letter i'm sending Pietta.
If you feel the same way please contact them to tell them how you feel, this is the only way there will be a change! An example of what you can say is just "I support the deduction of your markings" or "I would buy more products if you started to hide your markings". Here is their email, [email protected]

Here's an example of just how bad it is.
Old March 7, 2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Model12Win

Let us know if they respond.

Ubertis have much better markings, most are hidden, and the ones that are there are in the same places as real C&B.

Just buy a Yewbirdy (Uberti).
Old March 7, 2016, 02:48 PM   #3
jmar

I don't think they'll respond, i sent the message a few days ago. I will always buy Uberti over Pietta just for the markings alone but unfortunately Pietta makes some stuff Uberti doesn't like the Griswold and pocket Remingtons.
Old March 7, 2016, 04:29 PM   #4
hartcreek

jmar

So did you take the name badges off your car too?

As for the black powder stampings there are plenty of idiots out there so a company has to cover their backside.
Old March 7, 2016, 04:51 PM   #5
jmar

Quote:

As for the black powder stampings there are plenty of idiots out there so a company has to cover their backside.
These are historical relpicas that should be accurate in look and feel, not cars. I'm not bothered about markings on modern guns but these aren't meant to look modern, i think the markings deface the gun.
Old March 7, 2016, 04:59 PM   #6
maillemaker

Quote:
I might if I was buying a replica Ford and it had Chevy badges on it.

Steve
Old March 7, 2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
These are historical relpicas that should be accurate in look and feel, not cars. I'm not bothered about markings on modern guns but these aren't meant to look modern, i think the markings deface the gun.
Howdy

I guess you never heard of the idiots who sued Ruger because they didn't pay attention to the rule of never leaving a live round under the hammer of a single action revolver. That's the whole reason Ruger developed the whole New Model line in the 1970s. Ruger got tired of being taken to the cleaners so they completely redesigned their line of single action revolvers to include a transfer bar.

I guess you never heard of some of the idiots who put Smokeless powder in a C&B revolver and blew it up. Their comment was, 'well the powder was black, except it had some little red dots in it.

Like it or not, we live in a litigious society. If people can win lawsuits because their coffee was too hot, they sure as heck will sue firearms manufacturers when they do something stupid. Doesn't matter if it is a modern firearm or a replica of an antique. People will still sue and manufacturers have to protect themselves if they want to stay in business.
Old March 7, 2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Hawg

I don't care for the markings but Pietta's are cheaper than Uberti and will always be popular for that reason alone.
Old March 7, 2016, 05:17 PM   #9
jmar

Quote:
Howdy

I guess you never heard of the idiots who sued Ruger because they didn't pay attention to the rule of never leaving a live round under the hammer of a single action revolver. That's the whole reason Ruger developed the whole New Model line in the 1970s. Ruger got tired of being taken to the cleaners so they completely redesigned their line of single action revolvers to include a transfer bar.

I guess you never heard of some of the idiots who put Smokeless powder in a C&B revolver and blew it up. Their comment was, 'well the powder was black, except it had some little red dots in it.

Like it or not, we live in a litigious society. If people can win lawsuits because their coffee was too hot, they sure as heck will sue firearms manufacturers when they do something stupid. Doesn't matter if it is a modern firearm or a replica of an antique. People will still sue and manufacturers have to protect themselves if they want to stay in business.
I never said they should remove them completely, just put the warning under the barrel like Ubertis, that area is seen during the loading process yet concealed the rest of the time. Perfect compromise.
Old March 8, 2016, 10:57 AM   #10
maillemaker

http://segarlaw.com/blog/myths-and-f...t-coffee-case/
Old March 8, 2016, 11:34 AM   #11
g.willikers

I've had a Pietta Remington for probably ten years and couldn't even begin to give testimony on the markings.
Have no idea, I just shoot the danged thing.
And it does that very well.
Old March 9, 2016, 03:28 PM   #12
drobs

Ooops didn't realize we were boycotting Pietta. Just bought another Pietta from Dixie Gun Works Saturday. The price was right.
Old March 9, 2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Model12Win

We aren't, Drobs.

The OP just has a bone to pick. OP, leave the Piettas to us. We'll appreciate them how they are.
Old March 9, 2016, 07:40 PM   #14
jmar

Quote:
We aren't, Drobs.

The OP just has a bone to pick. OP, leave the Piettas to us. We'll appreciate them how they are.
Not at all what gives you that idea? I say in my letter that they make good quality guns. I just wont buy them, never said anybody else shouldn't. Don't read to much into things.
Old March 9, 2016, 08:07 PM   #15
Hawg

For the price point I can live with the markings.
Old March 9, 2016, 08:40 PM   #16
Model12Win

Quote:
For the price point I can live with the markings.
Same. The brass framed .44 Navies are extremely cheap when on sale from Cabelas, and are great guns for the money.
Old March 9, 2016, 09:41 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
The brass framed .44 Navies are extremely cheap when on sale from Cabelas, and are great guns for the money.
Those I couldn't live with for any price.
Old March 9, 2016, 11:39 PM   #18
jmar

There's a reason those brass frames Piettas are so cheap, first of all they aren't even close to being historically accurate, and secondly they can get loose and bend over time. Fruitless to compare to steel framed Ubertis that are overall a better deal as they are almost 100% historically accurate including hidden markings, and without the infamous Pietta jacked up handles.

That being said Pietta does have some stuff i'd buy if the markings are resolved like the Griswold. But now i get why you don't care about the markings if you buy a .44 brass frame navy that never existed until 1970 or so. But some people like historically accuracy and don't want to go through the strenuous process of getting there guns defarbed. I guess people don't care about he greater picture.
Old March 9, 2016, 11:51 PM   #19
drobs

Stock photo but here's the one I bought - Pietta 1860 Army:

Dixie Gunworks - $245
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...roducts_id=946

Thinking about sending it off to Goonsgunworks to have 45 Dragoon work his magic on it. The only problem there is I'd like to see it in person to better appreciate the before and after.
Old March 13, 2016, 12:50 AM   #20
drobs

Wife snapped some pics of it for me. Nice and greasy:

Note to self: order Remington number 10 caps
Old March 13, 2016, 01:08 AM   #21
Model12Win

Looks good drobs! You should post a pic once it's cleaned off, it looks great!
Old March 13, 2016, 01:12 AM   #22
drobs

Will do Sir - next time I'm home, hopefully April. Will take it out and do some blasting as well. Contemplating placing a bulk order for Goex Black Powder.
Old March 13, 2016, 10:45 AM   #23
Beagle333

Pretty!!!!! I love a '60!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 15, 2016, 07:02 PM   #24
Bill Akins

Jmar makes a good point about the "in your face" markings of Pietta vs Uberti.

I currently own both Pietta's, Uberti's, Armee San Marcos (A.S.M.) and Connecticut Valley Arms (C.V.A.) and have in the past owned F.I.E., Armee San Paulo (A.S.P.), Navy Arms and a few I've probably forgotten. Overall, I find that in my opinion Uberti to have the best quality of fit and finish.

I appreciate Uberti putting their markings under the loading lever. But that isn't the only reason I prefer Uberti's over Pietta's (and I own Pietta's too). I also think Uberti's are fitted and finished just a little bit better than Pietta's. There is one MAJOR reason I prefer the Uberti 1858 over Pietta's, and that is because on the Pietta's, the loading lever catch is soldered (rather than dovetailed). So is the front sight of the Pietta. But on the Uberti 1858 both the loading lever catch as well as the front sight are both dovetailed. On the Pietta, you cannot remove the cylinder pin from the revolver unless you melt the solder and remove the loading lever catch so the cylinder pin can slide forward and out of the receiver for removal. Then you have to re-hard solder it back on. Same with front sight removal which has to be melted and re-hard soldered back on.

However on the Uberti 1858, you can easily remove both the loading lever catch and the front sight by just drifting them out of their dovetails with a hammer and flat punch. This difference is a major concern if you are re-finishing the revolver or need to completely disassemble it for any reason.

You can also adjust your windage by drifting the Uberti 1858 front sight left or right in its dovetail. You can't do that with the soldered on Pietta front sight.

So for at least the 1858 Remy, Uberti is my choice for the above reasons.
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 15, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old March 15, 2016, 08:35 PM   #25
deerslayer303

Not to mention the Uberti NMA is smaller than the Pietta. The correct size from what I hear