The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 5, 2014, 06:09 PM   #26
AK103K

Its really not about "grip" as much as it is about keeping the gun and your arms from moving rearwards under recoil.

I tried to get one of my 17's to malfunction with absolutely NO grip on the gun, simply allowing the gun to rest on the web of my hand and top of my middle finger, and shot 4 full mags (68 rounds) without a stoppage.

What Ive found is, as long as you have mass behind the gun, and dont allow the gun and/or your arm to move rearwards with recoil, it will function fine.

You can squeeze the gun so tight the bullets squirt out the bottom, and if you allow it to move rearwards when you shoot, it will do you no good.
Old August 5, 2014, 06:24 PM   #27
ritepath

Don't feel bad lot's of first time buyers bite on the "There's only one" lie.

Lay a hand on them all CZ, M&P, Sig, Walther, XD, ruger ect. Believe it or not, there really is more than one manufacture of reliable plastics out there.

Of course my next pistol is probably going to be a G20.
Old August 5, 2014, 06:57 PM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
I tried to get one of my 17's to malfunction with absolutely NO grip on the gun, simply allowing the gun to rest on the web of my hand and top of my middle finger, and shot 4 full mags (68 rounds) without a stoppage.
I tried a similar test with my G33. I shot it while holding it with nothing but my thumb and trigger finger. No small feat with a sub-compact .357sig and full-house loads. Started with one round to make sure I could control it, then two to make sure I wouldn't let it run away, then went to full mags. Never had a single malfunction.

I did find, however, that I can FORCE a malfunction in a way that I wouldn't have expected. If I put my off hand trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard and apply moderate pressure, the gun will jam every, single time.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:00 PM   #29
Wreck-n-Crew

First I would not judge Glock by a one gun experience. There is not a brand made without a lemon here and there. They are great guns that changed the way guns are made. They are very reliable, then again so are others. See if you cant rent a few and try them out. Either way good luck what ever you choose!
Old August 5, 2014, 09:42 PM   #30
cryption

I started my gun obsession as a Glock guy. I bought an XD, sold every Glock, and never looked back. Best plastic pistol
Old August 6, 2014, 06:48 AM   #31
subhuman

you asked about .40, since you have been on a G19, look at the G23, but if glocks are tasting bad right now look at these
$400-600 range
S&W M&P .40 fs, .40c, Shield
styer M40
Springfield XD line
Ruger SR40,SR40c
$650 on up to holy crap!
H&K USP40,P2000,
Sig (dont know all the#s just like to shoot them )
Springfield EMP .40 (my object of lust)
Old August 6, 2014, 08:10 AM   #32
NorwegianShooter

Sphinx SDP... CanĀ“t go wrong with Swedish, err, I mean SWISS!

Go back to school.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:31 AM   #33
greyeyezz

Quote:
the other day misfired and a metal piece that runs along the bottom of the spring (forgive me for not knowing what the piece is called) came out.
31 posts and no one questions this? Hmmm.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:42 AM   #34
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyezz
Quote:
the other day misfired and a metal piece that runs along the bottom of the spring (forgive me for not knowing what the piece is called) came out.
31 posts and no one questions this? Hmmm.
Good point.

OP, what metal part was this? Was it the slide lock spring? That would be part #20 in this diagram.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:43 AM   #35
Spats McGee
Staff

Moderator Note: Enough of the geography lessons, please. Anyone who's having trouble distinguishing between Switzerland and Sweden can google it for themselves. This isn't the place for that discussion.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:52 AM   #36
gyvel

Quote:
Are you sure it was a Glock, they can shoot one million rounds without failing and go bang every time you pull the trigger.
No. You're thinking of the Hi-Point; And don't forget the lifetime warranty.

Seriously: Have you contacted Glock about your issues? I think they generally stand behind their products. You could potentially end up with a new gun from them.
SIFE
Old August 6, 2014, 09:06 AM   #37
amflyer

Since you are asking for opinions:

If the pistol is malfunctioning in your hand as well as others, it's probably not a grip issue.

If you need to have a perfect grip and allow not movement under recoil to make this pistol work, it's not a carry piece.

You MAY have better results with a new Glock, or you may not. Either way, it's a gamble. I would try to borrow a XD pistol from a friend and see if that works for you. I bet it will.

I agree that it's best not to judge an entire company or line of products based on one sample...but then Glock does use the tagline Perfection. Doesn't leave much room for mistakes, does it?
Old August 6, 2014, 04:51 PM   #38
lee n. field

Quote:
Get a Gen 3 and your problems will go away.
That right there.

The move from Gen 3 to Gen 4 involved an (initially problem prone) new recoil assembly, replacing the old and simple recoil spring and guide rod. Supposed to be OK now, maybe the OP got an old one.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 6, 2014, 05:04 PM   #39
SansSouci

Sip P-229 in .40 S&W or Sig P-220.
Old August 6, 2014, 06:11 PM   #40
gyvel

Quote:
Sip P-229 in .40 S&W or Sig P-220.
And what's a SIG 229 going for these days?
SIFE
Old August 6, 2014, 08:31 PM   #41
SpareMag

A small point, but has Glock been contacted regarding your malfs?

You could see what the mfg has to say before abandoning the weapon.

In truth, there are no bad firearms out there these days - the Universal Polymer Pistols all works the same.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:45 PM   #42
FM12

Smith and Wesson model 686 in .357 4" bbl. Thank me later.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:54 PM   #43
smokehouse4444

What's a SIG P229 going for these days? Could probably get one for $650-$750 at Bud's for some very nice new ones. Less for some nice used ones if you looked around enough. After trying out many handguns, including the G19, a buddy of mine purchased a P229 recently. Oh man...that thing feels SO good in your hand. He loves it....and so has anyone else who has shot it.

To be completely fair, you probably just have a lemon...see what Glock will do for you. I've got a few friends that have the 19 and have never had a bit of problem with it.

Brian P, that is an interesting problem. Another buddy has the .40 version of the G19, whatever that is. He put a Veridian laser/light on it and it would jam constantly. Maybe it's somewhat of a similar problem...pressure on the wrong area. He took the laser off and put it on his CZ and it works perfectly...and without it, the Glock works perfectly (irritated the crap out of him, though).
Old August 6, 2014, 09:25 PM   #44
DPI7800

So again I have yet to see the OP state what ammo was used. As a person who sees some 3k-4k Glocks a year of which 300 plus are new gen 4 in 9MM, 40S&W or 45ACP I don't see many problems when it comes to new guns. Don't get me wrong I have seen my share of broken Glocks but they are typically well used. So OP what ammo were you using?
Old August 6, 2014, 11:30 PM   #45
DannyB1954

Some Glocks will try to store the spent shells by shoving them up your nose. To be honest maybe a little higher like between your eyes.
I like the Ruger SR9c. It shoots well, is reliable and inexpensive. conceals a little easier than a full size.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:18 AM   #46
Unlicensed Dremel

Well, if this would help - with a caveat that I have not tried all of them; not even close, my preferences are as follows, roughly in order:

Metal Guns:
CZs
1911s
Kahrs
BHPs
Sig P-classics
Bersas

Plastic framed guns:
Kahrs
CZs
Walthers
Smith & Wesson M&Ps
Tauruses
Kel-Tec (the PMR-30 anyway)

Weaning off the koolaid is surprisingly easy.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:42 AM   #47
TunnelRat

One gun does not a company make. That being said, this is far from the first issue thread about Glock on this or any forum. For a gun that is perfection I find it amusing how it is so picky about its user. Almost like it was a sorting hat.

Try a similar style of gun from another manufacturer. If the issues go away it might be just you and Glocks. If you try another Glock and the issues go away then it is likely your example. Lots of guns in the sea.
Old August 8, 2014, 02:17 AM   #48
Micahweeks

I wouldn't abandon the company, but you do need to have confidence in your gun. I'd look to HK if you decide to try another company. The P30L and the HK45 are both top notch, and I've been swearing by the classic USP now for probably 18 years. Good company. Good guns. I have Glocks, too, and they've been reliable in my experience. But, if you've lost confidence in them, then give HK a look.

Last edited by Micahweeks; August 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:34 AM   #49
gwpercle

Smith & Wesson Model 66, 38 special/357 magnum, K-frame, 4 inch barrel. Adjustable sights, stainless steel.
Due to popular demand S&W has resumed manufacturing them again . The MSRP is about the same price as an excellent condition 30 year old used one sells for.
Try one ...you will love it!
Gary
Old August 9, 2014, 12:12 PM   #50
JeffK

Glock makes and sells millions of G19s, they are mass produced to be relatively cheap so you're going to find lemons. Why yours is a lemon, I don't know. I'm sure Sig and HK sell some lemons too, but personally if I wind up with a lemon then I'm not going to buy anything from that lemon manufacturer again. Especially a gun that I need to absolutely trust. YMMV. There are lots of manufacturers of guns similar to the G19, so there are lots of alternatives.

Tags
glock , heckler & koch , sig