The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Method

Shotshell Reload Question (Crimping)

This past weekend was my inagural foray into reloading. I recently purchased a MEC Sizemaster (12ga), and after getting all other necessary supplies I decided to start reloading from a couple 5 gallon containers full of once-fired AA hulls.

Overall, I have to admit that I've been really happy with the result. I fired 150 rounds on Sunday and had zero failure to fires. There are however, two things I noticed and want to ask some experts about.

1. My crimps seem really good, but there is consistenly a small gap in the very center of the shell. I can see a BB or two, but everything seems secure and nothing falls out. I've seen something similar on a couple of new hulls, but only as an exception to the rule. Should I be worried about this?

2. When placing reloads into my gun for practice Sunday, many slipped right in like a new hull...but a few needed to be pushed in. When I say push, I'm talking about the lightest possible force. I don't have to cram shells in, and the extractors tossed the fired hulls out just like new ones. Again...is this normal for people or do I need to adjust something?

Just in case it makes a difference, here's the recipe I used:

Alliant Clay Dot Powder (17.4gr via MEC bushing #32)
Winchester AA Hulls
Winchester 209 Primer
Claybuster Wad (designed to replace WAA12SL wad)
1oz 8.5 Shot (MEC 302/100 charge bar)

Cheers,
Method

PS: Part of the reason that I'm really happy with the relaoding is cost savings. Based on prices in my local area, I'm saving a dime for every shell I reload.

Last edited by Method; August 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added "PS" Section
Old August 13, 2012, 01:03 PM   #2
BigJimP

In the MEC manuals ...it'll show you how to close up that hole in the center...its a combination of crimp depth ..and getting any "swirl" out of the crimp fingers - in the crimp start, crimp finish and final radiusing of the shell in stations 4, 5 and 6....

I know the sizemaster is a single stage press...and I haven't used one for a long time ...but your adjustments are in the same "crimp start", the "finish crimp", and "final sizing" processes on your press.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/document...sizemaster.pdf

page 10 of the Sizemaster's manul ...tells you how to make those adjustments to Crimp Start, the Final Crimp, and the final Sizing or radiusing of the finished shell.

Yes, if I were you, I'd work on the adjustments to remove that hole and make sure the crimp is as close to a factory shell as I could get. Measure the depth on a factory shell ...vs your reloads / my hunch is the biggest issue is in the depth.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Method

Thanks. Checked the manual, made the adjustment, and then cranked out 200 perfectly crimped shells this evening.
Old August 14, 2012, 10:50 AM   #4
BigJimP

see, I told you it was an easy fix..../ now go shoot them and have some fun....
Old August 15, 2012, 03:14 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I was hoping to offer some help here, but it looks like you've got in under control.