The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
rep

Primer pocket question

I wanted to ask if there are times where a primer makes a piece of brass unusable. After depriming this case and trying to clean the pocket, I noticed it didn't feel right. When i looked inside the primer pocket, i saw ... (see pictures) It seems when the primer went off, it melted or dented the hole (not sure the terminology).

I'm new to reloading. Literally, this is my first set i'm reloading.

Will a Primer Pocket Uniformer fix something like this? Or should i discard this case.

Thanks for taking a look!
Old March 24, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2
k4swb

Most PP holes are punched and they don't look all that good before being shot. Clean and uniform them if you like but it probably won't make any difference. These look fine to me.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:51 PM   #3
chiefr

Looks like the hole is egg shapped. More than likely the primer punch pin is bent slightly. I have had this exact same problem. With RCBS dies, you can change the pin. If you are using Lee dies, you can remove the rod and try to straighten out the pin.

Last edited by chiefr; March 24, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:32 PM   #4
rg1

Primer flash holes are punched out when manufactured. They were probably like that when newly made. Could be your primer punch but you'd notice it when depriming. Reload as usual with cases like in your pics.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Mike38

I’ve seen off center flash holes before. I wonder if this was off center, then the depriming pin made the flash hole oblong like that? Me? I discard something that looks like that in a rifle brass. Pistol it wouldn’t make much difference.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:31 AM   #6
89blazin

Is all three pics of 9MM?...and fired from the same pistol?
Old March 25, 2011, 08:43 AM   #7
5RWill

K4, lapua is the only company that cuts their primer pockets correct?
Old March 25, 2011, 09:36 AM   #8
k4swb

Quote:
K4, lapua is the only company that cuts their primer pockets correct?
I'm not sure about who drills/cuts PPs and flash holes. I usually clean up all my rifle brass and some of my handgun brass.
Old March 25, 2011, 04:06 PM   #9
amamnn

This is why you inspect each piece of new brass when you buy it. As for the process Lapua uses to form primer pockets and flash holes-- this came up in a discussion about a related subject on one of the benchrest sites. A Q was sent to Lapua on the subject. The closest Lapua would come to a revelation was that their case forming process consisted of many steps all of which are prorietary information. This of course, did nothing to satisfy either camp--drilled or punched......but almost everyone agreed that inspection was mandatory and deburring sometimes required--even for Lapua brass.