The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1
stu925

RCBS Customer Service

A couple weeks ago I picked up a RCBS primer pocket swager from a buddy, got it for free so I wasn't concerned that it was missing the case stripper or .223 swaging rod. Called RCBS to order the parts today, credit card in hand and the woman on the phone took my name address and telephone # then said "we'll get that out to you". She never took any payment info, I was prepared to pay for the parts, imagine my surprise when she didn't charge me. This is the second time I've had customer service at RCBS give me parts for nothing, I'm impressed. The first time it was expendable decapping pins. That pretty much sold me on RCBS, I'd have no qualms buying anything from them.

Stu
Old March 17, 2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Utahar15

RCBS

2nd to none. Great service.

Robb
Old March 17, 2011, 01:00 PM   #3
rottieman33

I wish every body was like RCBS world would be a happy place
Old March 17, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I think that, like Dillon, they decided that rather than sell for the lowest possible price they would make people happier by charging a little extra to support that kind of no-questions-asked lifetime support for most of their products. So far, it seems to be working.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 17, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

To date, I have never paid for a part I ordered directly from RCBS, by phone.
....And there have been several seating stems, decapping pins, expander balls, and other parts that were ordered as upgrade items (not warranty replacements).

I'd love to tell you my experience with Dillon has been the same.... but I've never had to call them.

---
Since I always get called a snob when I mention the brand name, I'll just use the color...
The common "Red" company has been exactly the opposite for me - An absolutely nightmare to work with, even for factory defects on items under warranty. (Which, I've had the misfortune of experiencing with nearly every one of their products I purchased.)

The other Red company, my father has had several bad warranty experiences with, but I've never had bad experience.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:25 PM   #6
grubbylabs

which red company is which?

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 17, 2011, 04:51 PM   #7
A_Gamehog

You will find the orig. RCBS swaging rod is mild steel, I got a hardened steel rod from e-bay (8$)and it works better/great. Sometimes the brass is same make and year but the heads have a different thickness and you will apply more force than necessary to the task at hand, this will bend the rod. No replacement rod is going to work like hardened steel. Don't ask me how I know.

RCBS is a great company and their customer service is great also.
Old March 17, 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
howlnmad

Just recently I bent the pin and stem in my universal decapping die, 100% my fault. I called RCBS and explained what I did, no questions asked they sent anew one and 20 pins.
On another note, I use Lee presses. My first press, a alum. challenger, had the alum. toggle links from the lever to the ram. They broke after 10 years, I called and was told they had replacement steel ones for 10 bucks. The same ones they use today. I now try to stay clear of Lee but will continue to use what I have.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Cascade1911

I have both Lee and RCBS equipment. For what I paid for for my Lee equipment I'm amazed it is worth repairing after 10 years (I've got two presses that are both 20+ yo and still going without a repair). My Uniflow and Rockchucker are way better but then I paid WAY WAY more money. If it were not for Lee I would not have been able to begin to reload and some of their stuff is as good or better then their higher priced rivals. It's certainly unfair to purchase a press from Lee for 1/2 or 1/3 the price of a similar RCBS offering and then expect free parts.....after 10 years?????
Old March 17, 2011, 06:02 PM   #10
greentick

Same report here. Called to purchase decapping pins and parts for my case trimmer LOST in a move. Refused payment, sent large and small decappers and parts.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
William T. Watts

The majority of my reloading tools including press is RCBS, many of the tools are 40 or more years old, I have never been disappointed with the quality or customer service! William
Old March 17, 2011, 08:21 PM   #12
slowrider

I bought a used Rockchucker missing the primer parts and used case trimmer missing the handle assembly. They sent it all free including an RC "parts bag". Outstanding!
Old March 17, 2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Sevens

A guy on my local forum just called RCBS because his vibratory case cleaner quit working. Now I know that RCBS has great customer service, but pretty much nobody bends over backwards for electrically operated tools -- certainly not something that runs in such an obviously rough environment as a tumbler.

But RCBS told him over the phone, "it's probably the motor, we will send you a new motor!"

Great service, just like I've always heard.

The only RCBS tools that I have on my bench are some rifle dies... they seem to work just fine. I don't like them better than my Lee or my Lyman dies, and (believe it, it's true) I'm that one guy on earth that prefers the Lee rubber O-ring lock ring on the dies. I don't care for the lock ring on my RCBS dies at all.
Old March 20, 2011, 08:46 PM   #14
bekellog

I had an experience like that several times, with Hornady, the sent me several parts under "warranty" on my buddy's Pacific 366!! I have called them numerous times with ??? about reloading and such and they are always eager to help!! And that's why all of our reloading equipment, has and always will be Hornday--Great customer service is hard to beat!!!
Old March 23, 2011, 08:01 PM   #15
RyanJ

I've got the "blue" and "green" machines in my shop. I'm in the same boat with 'FrankenMauser' as the blue one has never needed anything. My green one came to me in a box, not assembled, rusted, from a "yard sale score" from my Dad. RCBS sent me all the missing/broken parts for FREE. Any time I have had a problem, it was a phone call and a few days out before I was up and running again. Nice to see a company that stands behind their products.

Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.