The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2001, 09:42 AM   #1
badriver

Low "pressure" extraction problems

I fired some 159 grain cast bullets in my 03-A3 Springfield sporter. The loads were 10.5 and 11.5 grains of Red Dot with CCI 200 primers.

The 10.5 grain load made it very difficult to open the bolt but I still could do it by hand. The first 11.5 grain load I fired made it impossible to open the bolt by hand and I had to tap it open with a mallet. It was like I had fired it with an excessive powder charge, yet there were no signs of excessive pressure on the empty cases.

I was firing high power loads before I switched to cast without any difficulties. Anyone have any ideas about what is causing the extraction problem?
Old June 14, 2001, 08:49 PM   #2
RugerNo3

The Red Dot loads are not really low pressure loads. They act like a Bullseye 38 load. Complete combustion possible before the bullet leaves the case. A soft lead bullet may slug up and really raise pressures. Suggest you visit the site.
www.iea.com/~fgrig/gun/reddot.txt
Old June 16, 2001, 02:08 PM   #3
badriver

pressure

Ruger 3,

I believe you solved the problem for me. This morning I fired some rounds using 175 grain manufactured cast bullets using 10.5 and worked up to 13.5 grains of Red Dot with out extraction problems.

My friend probably didn't cast them hard enough. I never gave lead "hardness" much of a thought...but I sure will from now on.