The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Venom1956

What is your favorite DAO trigger?

What auto with a hammer and just a DAO trigger setup do u think is the best? I don't want a DA/SA or a precocked striker. I found a Beretta DAO 92 police surplus no safety that had just a fantastic trigger pull. I would like to see what other guns you all like and that I should look @.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 7, 2014, 06:50 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Just curious, why no DA/SA?

SIG P250 actually has a very nice DAO trigger, just be sure to get one of the newer models with all the initial trouble worked out. Very affordable option too. The HK LEM series is DAO while allowing for a reset before releasing the trigger completely. SIG DAK pistols technically allow the same, though also technically aren't supposed to be used that way.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 7, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Venom1956

because a DAO auto trigger is really easy to make it feel like a really really nice DAO revolver trigger. (Which I enjoy shooting) If its a DA/SA it seems like the DA is just blah because its only the first shot and the SA gets most of the use.

Also Ill have to double check but I dont have a DAO auto afaik?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 7, 2014, 06:59 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
because a DAO auto trigger is really easy to make it feel like a really really nice DAO revolver trigger. (Which I enjoy shooting) If its a DA/SA it seems like the DA is just blah because its only the first shot and the SA gets most of the use.
Gotcha. I would disagree that a DA/SA pistol can't have a nice DA pull, there are a number I can think of. That said, DAO semiautos will be most like a DAO revolver. You do have the long reset factor, which if you don't mind go for it. It just seems these days a short reset is in high demand so DAO has sort of fallen by the wayside. The HK LEM and SIG DAK do allow for a shorter reset, at least better. I do think the P250 is a good option though, especially for the money. Very smooth pull. I have never tried a DAO Beretta.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:11 PM   #5
AK103K

I always liked my SIG P250's trigger. I liked my P245's DAO (not DAK) trigger, even better. Both were very nice, as were most all my SIGs standard DA triggers.

The only ones I fiddled with, were the P6's, and that was just to bring them more in line "feel wise" with the "commercial" SIG's. They were heavier, but still not bad.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:19 PM   #6
2ndsojourn

Another for the Sig 250 DAO trigger. After trying several handguns (revolvers & auto loaders) my gf chose the Sig. I watched her try them all and I agree she made the right choice...for her.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:40 PM   #7
presspics

SIG P250 has a fantastic trigger!
Old August 7, 2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I like the Para USA LDA pistols. Their trigger needs no work out of the box (generally).

However ... they don't have second strike capability so, aside from the name, there's some controversy as to whether or not they are really double action. (But they're not single action so, if not DA, then what are they?)
Old August 7, 2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Venom1956

Quote:
I would disagree that a DA/SA pistol can't have a nice DA pull,
Oh not what i meant it just seems like you get the first shot in DA and the rest in SA. So you dont get the DA shot after shot. So it always feels 'bad' compared to the SA. But hey I also prefer DAO revolvers with no SA notch in the hammer because it feels better. Maybe I am picky.

Quote:
However ... they don't have second strike capability so
The plot thickens...

I love my Kahr T9 but in the end its still just a SA with a long pull.

Something about that 92 with ever pull of the trigger the bobbed hammer came back and came down... very revolver like.

Last edited by Venom1956; August 7, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Para LDAs are definitely not single action. You can't manually cock the hammer. I don't know what they are, but I bought one when they first came out and the trigger was the best I've ever seen aside from "real" 1911s with their sliding SA triggers.
Old August 7, 2014, 08:06 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
So it always feels 'bad' compared to the SA.
Yea, when I go to the range I always run through a few mags dedicated to DA. Plus as Bruce Gray says, dry fire practice with DA/SA pistols is a must. It's a good idea with any firearm, but for DA/SA it makes all the difference.

I would honestly consider the P250.
Old August 7, 2014, 08:44 PM   #12
wpsdlrg

Another vote for the Sig P250. Hands down, my favorite DAO.
Old August 7, 2014, 09:26 PM   #13
TBT

If I were forced into using a DAO pistol it would probably be a P250. Seems like the best execution of a bad idea thus far...
Old August 7, 2014, 10:48 PM   #14
jasmith85

I prefer DA/SA but I have no complaints about the DAK trigger on my p224.
Old August 8, 2014, 01:45 AM   #15
RX-79G

I would count any trigger that fully cocks and releases the striker/hammer AND mainspring with every shot as DAO. The Kahr does not count because the striker starts partially cocked, which is why it is not able to second strike.

I would not call any short reset trigger DAO. That second shot on a Glock or LEM after a tiny reset is certainly not a "double action". There is only one action performed at that point, since the striker or hammer fully cocked after each shot.

The LDA, like the LEM, Daewoo Fast Action/Double Action + and FN's SFS are all systems that use completely cocked mainsprings with uncocked hammers. In terms of pre-cocked springs, they are arguably SA. The fact that the hammer is out of position is nifty, but somewhat meaningless. More of a nice feeling than an actual mechanical safety mechanism. FN first came up with this idea in the early '80s, before the Glock came out. It is the granddaddy of all the pre-cocked mechanisms that followed.

Beretta 92Ds, especially worn in ones, have beautiful triggers. You can duplicate that for the first shot with 92 DA/SA guns as well. The 250 may well be better.
Old August 8, 2014, 02:19 AM   #16
Sight Unseen

Sig's DAK on a P229
Old August 8, 2014, 05:04 AM   #17
JimmyR

The Beretta PX4 Type D is a DAO model that might also be worth considering.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old August 8, 2014, 06:23 AM   #18
foxytwo

Still another vote for the Sig P250, one of the smoothest triggers you will find. Another plus is that you can change the grip size or have a different caliber exchange kit.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:26 AM   #19
Skans

The Boberg XR9-S has a very nice DAO trigger.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:12 AM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
I would not call any short reset trigger DAO. That second shot on a Glock or LEM after a tiny reset is certainly not a "double action". There is only one action performed at that point, since the striker or hammer fully cocked after each shot.

The LDA, like the LEM, Daewoo Fast Action/Double Action + and FN's SFS are all systems that use completely cocked mainsprings with uncocked hammers. In terms of pre-cocked springs, they are arguably SA. The fact that the hammer is out of position is nifty, but somewhat meaningless. More of a nice feeling than an actual mechanical safety mechanism. FN first came up with this idea in the early '80s, before the Glock came out. It is the granddaddy of all the pre-cocked mechanisms that followed.
I'm only reporting what the manufacturer has written up the trigger system is. If you want to argue semantics I'm all for it and probably agree. To me LEM and DAK still offer second strike capability and a constant trigger pull weight. Are they true DAO? No, but they aren't SAO either. They're a hybrid. I think they're also just as safe and worth considering.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:04 AM   #21
FM12

I have a Sig 229 that was a pre owned Police Turn in. Was changed to DAO by the pd I assume, might have beem Born that way at the factory, dont really know. Like a 40 cal DA revolver with 13 shots and a fast reload!!
Old August 8, 2014, 11:21 AM   #22
Robk

Own a pre-DAK P226 DAO pistol. Very nice consistant trigger pull. Once you start firing it, you almost forget it is DAO.
Old August 8, 2014, 12:43 PM   #23
Uncle Malice

The P250 definitely has one of the better DAO triggers, though my preference is the Match LEM Hybrid setup on the HK USP series. It's technically DAO, but it functions like 2-stage AR trigger. Light take up to a very crisp break point and a short reset.
Old August 8, 2014, 02:13 PM   #24
D-Ric902

I have a DAK that is pretty good
But my 250 beats it

I have an early Para LDA and it is best but I never really considered it DAO
Old August 8, 2014, 02:31 PM   #25
Que

Yup, the P250.