The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 25, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
spitpatch

Gun show.

[IMG]dscno138[/IMG]]I am far from an expert in the cap & ball pistols. I got a navy arms 1861 navy .36 for 145.00. Very nice gun. looks like it was well cared for. 5 1/2 barrel. Is there a way to tell who made it? I did some research and every one I came across had the 7 1/2 barrel. Tried to put a photo.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2
deerslayer303

sounds like a nice score. But your pic didn't show up. From what I gather, seems the experts here are generally happy with their Navy Arms Repro's. Now fix that pic!
Old February 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Some questions..

Steel or brass frame?

If you don't find A.S.M. or Armi San Marco on the barrel under the loading lever, (and you probably won't), then look for DGG in a triangular arrangement under the grips on the grip frame. You have to take it apart to find it.

DGG is Armi San Paolo. I Think slightly better manufacturer than their competition.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4
brazosdave

I have a brass framed Navy arms Griswold and Gunnison. Except for the markings from the importer on the barrel, there were no other numbers, etc, except on the cylinder. that was where I found the proof house marks, the serial #, and at the back end by the nipples, the Pietta symbol. As far as quality, the Griswold is not the nicest or most expensive gun I have by any means, but it is my most often shot. I just like it.