The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 26, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Missed out on a good one

Well just as the title says I missed out on a good one.
Most of us at one time or another have picked up a rifle that felt as if it was built for us.
The balance, the fit, the feel is perfect.

I was at a gun auction the other day and there it was, a half magazine, saddle ring, Winchester 94, cresent butt plate, very nice wood and ladder rear sight.
The rifle was a 32 Winchester Special and the bore was great, especially for a rifle of it's age.

When I picked the rifle up it just felt as though it was an extension of myself.

Well I sat there on my hands, did not continue bidding and watched the rifle sell to another bidder.
I might add I've been kicking myself in the back side ever since.

Of well, I hope the gentleman enjoys that sweet Winchester, as much as I would have if it was mine.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 26, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
sgms

I understand, been there and lost that to. Better luck next time.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Jbotto

Been there. Last auction I was at, I was bidding on a Remington 514 in very nice condition. It went over my predetermined spending limit on this particular gun and I was upset. I bid on the very next gun out of whim as I was sulking at my loss of the previous gun. I ending up paying $65 for a Coast-to-Coast 40, (basically a Marlin 60 with a different stamp on the barrel). I have been happy with that purchase! Get to the next auction you can, and don't let the next one go!
Old September 27, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4
PetahW

I stopped "missing" about 20 years ago, after I figured out that I can't take it ($$$) with me (when I go), and since the gun I'm currently falling in lust with can be had for only some green paper (of which I've always been able to find more of), I just dance with the gal (gun) of my dreams.

Turns out, I wuz right.................................

Old September 27, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Bushmaster1313

Consider it a learning experience.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Hunter Customs

I want to thank everyone for their reponses.

My dear old Mother always said "things happen for a reason and will most likely work out for the best".

Well it seems Mom was right again.
This weekend I attended an auction, picked up a Savage 99 light weight take down model in 250-3000 caliber.
By the serial number the gun was manufactured in 1922.
The gun is slim and sleek, it sure feels good going to the shoulder.

If I had purchased the Winchester at the previous auction I would not have attended the auction that had the Savage.
As a matter of fact I almost had myself talked out of going anyway, I'm sure glad I decided to go.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 15, 2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Pointshoot

Bob Hunter - - well this is just amazing to me. When I read the first couple of sentences in your original post, the first thing I thought was "I get that sense of how a gun has a 'perfect feel' sometimes, and it usually is with the older classics. Certain Winchester lever guns, the earlier Savage 99, Winchester Model 12 pump shotguns in 16 gauge, certain old side by side upland bird guns, etc. So when you mentioned 'the one you lost' and then 'the one you found' it brought a smile to my face

Congratulations on your new Savage. May you enjoy it for many years.
Regards, - - -
Old October 16, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
osbornk

You may not have gotten it anyway. You don't know how determined the other bidder was to get the gun. You might have only driven the price up for the other bidder or overpaid terribly for the gun if you did get it.