The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 23, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
TGDKY

Mosin M44 questions

Looking at purchasing one and wanted to know what to look for in telling if this paticular one is quality. Also-what is the best scope mounts on these?

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old March 23, 2011, 06:15 PM   #2
scoobydoo6906

look up Iraqveteran8888 ‏on youtube he has several mosin videos you might find helpful.
Old March 23, 2011, 08:29 PM   #3
chris in va

Your garden-variety Mosin really won't be a 'quality' piece, just something to send bullets downrange. I'd look elsewhere if you want a rifle that will accept a scope. Too many people buy these things wanting to believe they are just like any other normal rifle, but discover at some point they are hastily made, crude sticks of steel and wood tossed into the hands of Russian conscripts.

That's not to say you won't find a nice version of a Mosin, but don't expect it to be anything like a Mauser or Springfield of the same era.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
moreammoCIB

Mosin-Nagant

The m-44 is a fine rifle, it depends on what use you have 4 it. i have 2 polish and one russian and they have been fired. for 150 what can u xpect. they r fun 2 shoot and look like a flamethrower. lol.. they do draw attention at the county range.. the 91/30 long rifle would be good 4 deer or water buffalo. lol
again fun to shoot. i cut 9.5 inches off the 91/30 and put a sporting stock and i bent the bolt down, re-crowned it , soldered the front sight back on and at one hundred yds it is awesome. Russian ser. # is 1313, lucky number... very nice web sight !!!!!!!!!!!! get a wasr 10/63 wasr romainian ak-47 look it over real good b-4 u buy it. i've got 2 of em and @ 4 four hundred dollars each ,,they are good to go..

Last edited by moreammoCIB; March 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: more info