The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 22, 2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Praxus

Winchester Model 12 12 ga

I received a Winchester Model 12 12 gauge shotgun from a family member recently. The shotgun originally belonged to my grandfather. I checked the serial number and it was manufactured in 1929. The shotgun has a 28" nickel steel barrel, the bluing is in good condition, the barrel shows signs of oxidation, it has a permanent modified choke. I'm not really interested in selling this shotgun at this time due to it's value as a family heirloom but I was curious if there was anyone here who might have some idea of what it is worth. If you need more information to accurately determine what precise model this shotgun is please let me know, thanks.
Ruger LC9
Old February 22, 2011, 04:25 AM   #2
gyvel

Refer to the Bluebook of Gun Values. Many color photos to help in estimating correct condition, and a list of values in various conditions.
Old February 22, 2011, 06:41 AM   #3
PawPaw

There are too many variables to know without good pictures. What is the coverage of the bluing? Does it have the original wood? How is it chambered? Does it have a factory rib? Which grade is it?

Lots of questions determine a shotguns value, especially a Winchester Model 12.

The last one I bought, I paid $250.00 for, but it is rough. Less than 25% of the bluing remains and it's been modified by the installation of a poly-choke.

My son recently acquired a Model 12 in 20 gauge, a two barrel set made in 1914. It's got a full and a modified barrel set, factory fitted, with about 75% bluing, It's been valued at something over $1000.00. With Winchester Model 12s, the condition matters.

However, that's your grandad's shotgun. It should have lots of value beyond its simple blue-book value.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 26, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

My 16th birthday present...

Was a Winchester Model 12. Bought at auction for $125. Gun made in 1922. 30in, full choke. Plain ordinary field model. I still have it.

Before gun prices went crazy a few years back (or the bottom fell out of our dollar - you pick), a field grade model 12 with some blueing left was in the $250-350 range. But then so was a used model 94 in .30-30.

Today, better add $100-200 to that for a ball park figure, allowing for regional demand. They made a lot of model 12s. They are very, very good guns, strong and rugged as the bones of the earth. And nearly as smooth working.

They aren't as slick as twin action bar guns, early guns do NOT have a disconnector (use caution), and of course, all the older guns should NEVER be used with steel shot! The chokes in those old guns are much tighter (per rating) than what is made today. Steel shot does not compress like lead does and I know of guns that were damaged by steel shot. Not worth the risk. Not even close. Blow out the choke/damage the barrel on that model 12 and you could probably buy a used Mossberg for what it will cost to get the model 12 barrel fixed right.

Save the old heirloom for when you can use lead shot. Mine still performs as well as I do, if not better!

Tags
12 gauge , model 12 , winchester