The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 16, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Nero45

Unsporterizing a 1903

I've found a 1903 varant that is not marked at a Springfield 1903 marked with the made in 44 on the barrel. Someone, over time, has changed the stock to a sportized and a different scope mount. Overall the gun is in good working order. Does it make sense to change the stock to a more fitting a 1903 such as the 1903A4? Thank you.
Old June 16, 2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Pahoo

Depends on how much it was changed, from original. Yes, it certainly would have greater value and not just monetarily. Sadly, sporterizing on these old classics, was very common after the war, in the 50's and 60's. I have restored two and most are no longer in any condition to do so.

I like the way you think !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old June 16, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3
SIGSHR

Is it a genuine GI M1903? I bought a sporterized one years ago, toyed with the idea of "restoring" it, when I finally took the scope off I realized it was a National Ordnance M1903 and not "genuine"-though a good shooter.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not clear on whether the rifle is a M1903A4 or just an M1903 that has been drilled and tapped for a scope. If the latter, it isn't really worth trying to restore as the work on the receiver has destroyed the collectibility. If it is an M1903A4, it could be worth restoring, depending on what is needed and availability. A repro stock could be used, but wouldn't fool anyone knowledgeable, and an original will be very hard to find. Finding a mount might not be too hard, but finding an original scope at a reasonable price will be nearly impossible.

Jim
Old June 16, 2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Malamute

Could you please clarify your first sentence?

"I've found a 1903 varant that is not marked at a Springfield 1903 marked with the made in 44 on the barrel."

Is the barrel not marked, or the receiver?

If the barrel isnt marked, it may have been rebarreled, and you would need an original barrel to get it back into original condition. The barrels were 24". Many were cut to 22" when sportered. As mentioned also, if it was a standard GI 1903 or 1903-A3 drilled and tapped for a scope, then the original condition restoration isn't practical. If you just want to make it look more original, and leave it scoped, then restocking it with an original style stock isn't a bad plan. One piece scope mounts (Leupold, Buehler, or Redfield) can be had if it doesnt have one, and low power Weaver scopes like the K-3 make decent stand ins for the original scopes used on sniper type rifles. Someone was making original type mounts a few years ago, and a scope to match for the period. It would make up into a fun and interesting shooter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old June 17, 2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Nero45

I took a look at the rife again and darn it its stamped with National Ordnance on the frame with 44 on the top end of the barrel. From what little I can find this is more or less a sportized gun of the 1903 made by the National Ordnance Co. in CA. Again overall the gun is nice, I know it won't be a true 1903A4 but I still like the idea of having something like the real thing. Plus for the price of making a true 1903A4 I might as well spend the 1000.00 for what AIM Surplus has for sale.
The other concern that comes to mind is from the info I was able to get is that these were not always the best made and could cause a safety issue. I'm not planning on hot rodding the 30-06 ammo that I shoot but I don't want it to blow up either. Also the other thing is parts, not that there is anything broken but compatibility is a question. Thank you for the help
Old June 17, 2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Jim Watson

National Ordnance made cast receivers and finished out rifles with surplus Springfield or WW II contractor barrels, bolts, stocks, and hardware. Quality is not great but I have never read that they were dangerous. Spending the money to convert it back to what I call "imitation Army surplus" does not seem like a good investment to me.
Old June 17, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

There have been reports of National Ordnance receivers letting go, but without further evidence I have to put that in the rumor category. The shop I worked at when they were on the market sold a lot of them and none came back, though we sent one back that had a twisted receiver.

Now the plea!

Nero45, please do not waste your money trying to "restore" that rifle to something it never was. You can spend thousands on barrel, stock, etc. and you will still have a low quality rifle with a cast receiver and no historical or collector value at all. There are still some decent M1903 and M1903A3 rifles around at reasonable prices. If you want to do a restoration, many of those were "sporterized" and can be subjects for restoral; at least they are the real thing, not an imitation.

Jim
Old June 18, 2010, 05:36 PM   #9
SIGSHR

Sounds like mine, it has a barrel stamped 44. As the others have said, since it is not original it cannot be "restored" and at the most you would have a "repro" which might be good for reenacting but little else.