The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 7, 2010, 05:53 PM   #1
dratner

Revolver ID pls

I have had this gun in my possession ever since I acquired it after my fathers death. Frankly I forgot about it until I came across it. Maybe I can get an ID because I don't know anything about it at all.

Old April 7, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
dratner

Few More pics

Old April 7, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
surbat6

That "ELG" in the oval cartouche is a Belgian proof mark. Do you know the caliber of that little bulldog-style revolver?
The ejector style on that piece is fairly common among European revolvers. You usually unscrew the center rod projecting from the cylinder pin about a quarter turn to unlock it, then withdraw it toward the muzzle and pivot it to the right (the right side as you hold the pistol normally). Then it acts just like the ejector on a single action Colt, pushing the empties out individually.

Last edited by surbat6; April 7, 2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old April 8, 2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Neruda

This YouTube video by Henrique Sjeffers of Belgian revolvers shows a very similar gun (approx 1 min into the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvGvzfBRdI

A useful site for Belgian handguns is http://www.littlegun.be However many of these guns have no maker identification, so you may never know.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
dratner

Quote:
The ejector style on that piece is fairly common among European revolvers. You usually unscrew the center rod projecting from the cylinder pin about a quarter turn to unlock it, then withdraw it toward the muzzle and pivot it to the right (the right side as you hold the pistol normally). Then it acts just like the ejector on a single action Colt, pushing the empties out individually.
Yes this is exactly as it works.

Quote:
Do you know the caliber of that little bulldog-style revolver?
No but with my calipers the ID of the cylinders is aprrox 7.5mm

Quote:
This YouTube video by Henrique Sjeffers of Belgian revolvers shows a very similar gun
Must be Belgian then because it really is similar to a several of the models in the video.

Now the only mystery is how in the world did my Dad get his hands on a Belgian made pistol? In WWII he was in the S. Pacific no where near the eastern front. His heritage was eastern European Jew but don't think any of his family was from Belgium. Sorta raises more questions than it answers...lol. Thanks for the replies. I will check out that other site.
Old April 8, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Now the only mystery is how in the world did my Dad get his hands on a Belgian made pistol?
They were everywhere: pawn shops, flea markets, and even a few gun shops. He probably bought it, like many of the "war trophy" rifles.

Quote:
ID of the cylinders is aprrox 7.5mm
Quite possibly 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long. If it is old enough, it might be chambered for 320 Revolver or 32 Rimfire. Check the bore diameter, chamber length, and where the firing pin strikes, then get a copy of Cartridges Of The World and figure it out.
Old April 8, 2010, 05:04 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

The cylinders on a .32 cal gun would be 8 - 8.5 mm in diameter. If it's really 7.5 mm it has to be something different, maybe one of the French 7 mm cartridges? Also, just as caution, the elg in oval is a black powder proof, so don't use modern cartridges in it.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:40 AM   #8
SDC

Many of these small revolvers have a hidden maker's mark on the frame; if you (VERY CAREFULLY) unscrew the grip plates, you may be able to find the maker's initials stamped on the side of the grip frame, which you might be able to find at www.littlegun.be ; this is the sort of thing that really shouldn't be fired anyway, assuming you can find ammo for it.
Old April 9, 2010, 01:50 PM   #9
dratner

I wasn't really planning on firing it. The action is pretty loose. Its all sentimental value at this point.

I removed the handgrips and the frame is a hollow skeleton with a large spring running down the middle. On the left side of the frame there is a large "G" stamped. On the right side there is a uppercase "V" and the initials "AM" in another area.

All over the gun there is reference to "19" which I thought might have something to do with the caliber. Maybe it just means model 19.

I remeasured the cylinders and confirmed they are about 7.5mm ID. Overall length of the cylinder is 2.6 mm
Old April 23, 2010, 12:40 PM   #10
surbat6

The "19" marked on various parts is probably an assembly number. There was a lot of hand-fitting done to revolvers way back when (even the cheap ones. Labor was cheap). Numbering the fitted pieces helped ensure that the gun, when assembled, would not need much further fitting.
Old April 23, 2010, 09:47 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is that 7.5mm chamber measurement at the front or the back of the cylinder. Almost all of the European revolvers of that type were chambered for the English .320 revolver cartridge. 7.5mm would be about right for the bullet diameter but the case head diameter should be around .322" or about 8.2mm.

Jim
Old May 14, 2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Charles Ellis

I agree with what I have seen already posted.Most likely calibers for this gun would be 32 S&W,32 short Colt,and 320 revolver.All of these were chambered in inexpensive European revolvers in the late 1800's early 1900's.Many were made in Belgium,but it is unlikely that anyone cane ever be sure where your gun was made.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:29 AM   #13
dutchy

provenance

Dratner,

Belgium is in western europe, not eastern europe.
As the dutch "owned" indonesia (occupied by Japan) and a lot of belgian cheap guns were sold through dutch mailorder companies, is very well possible that somebody picked it up in the pacific.