The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2009, 02:19 PM   #1
3ddiver

Rusty bore

I have inhereted a 12 gauge shotgun and it has some light rust in the bore. I am thinking of turning it into a home defense gun and wondering if I clean the rust out of the barrel if I can use it safely. I may use it for 3 gun competition also.
Old September 27, 2009, 02:24 PM   #2
TxGun

Light bore rust is not a major issue. Clean it well and you're ready to go. If the rest of the gun is in good shape and locks up OK, you have no worries.
Old September 27, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
jrothWA

Is the barrel fluid steel or twist lamionted steel,...

Then may have a problem.
So, what is the action type, is it a current or something earlier.

The twist steel barrels if a "Side-by-side" the rust gets into the joints between the twist steel and CAn make an unknown problem.
Post photo, that will help us help you.
Old September 27, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Pahoo

Sound like a great application for a Tornado cleaning jag in 12Ga. If it's real light then 000 or 0000 steel wool is the answer. Use oil or any good solvent.
I like a produsct called fuel stabilizer by Heet!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 27, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
inSight-NEO

In addition to the other recommendations offered, I might suggest trying Flitz metal polish (use it sparingly). Weapon Shield also seems to work well on rust, based on my experience.

Just hit it with a high quality cleaner/polish and a high quality brass/bronze brush and go from there.

Now, if you notice any pitting at all, I might seek some professional "intervention" at that point. But for light rust, a nice, thorough cleaning should do the trick.

Also, as has been mentioned before, perhaps listing the make/model (and if possible, the year of manufacture) of the gun may help in gathering more accurate and useful cleaning suggestions.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old September 27, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
oneounceload

What's the gun? How old?
Old September 27, 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
3ddiver

It is a Remington 1100, I have no idea what year it is. Everything on the gun has light rust spots but I am going to take the action apart and clean it real good and it should be fine. It will be hard to get a good picture because the rust is inside the barrel. I will try to get a pic of the outside as a reference. Thanks for the replies
Old September 27, 2009, 08:36 PM   #8
TxGun

000 or 0000 steel wool and Hoppes #9 works well for this. Bronze wool is probably even better.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'd wrap some 4/0 steel wool around a dowel and chuck the thing up in a variable speed drill. A few passes and you should see major improvement.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:15 PM   #10
rgates

++++++ on the steel wool on a dowell in a drill. I've used that method and it works great. Let the drill do the work.
Old September 30, 2009, 06:48 AM   #11
3ddiver

I actually took the barrel to work the other day and ran a ball hone thru it. I started with a Chor boy but that wasnt cutting it. All of the rust is gone and just a few little pits are left over. Now I need to find someone with a media blaster to clean up the rest of it before refinising. Thanks for the help and ideas.
Old September 30, 2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Lee Lapin

Most folks who want an HD gun also want it as short as possible. Before you start whacking chunks off that 1100 barrel, remember that it's a gas gun, and a certain amount of back pressure is necessary to make it function. Before you cut it down, find someone who knows 1100s well enough to have had some experience with barrel lengths, gas port sizes etc.

Or, you too can learn about all that the hard way...

Also, fwiw- clean the trigger plate as a unit, don't try to take it apart. Just soak it in dish detergent and hot water for a while, rinse in hot water, blow it out with compressed air, and re-lube.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 30, 2009, 12:07 PM   #13
TxGun

All good advice ^. I know Remington makes 21" factory barrels for the 1100, so you're certainly safe going that short. And I think I vaguely recall even shorter barrels being offered...even down to 18 1/2" for police/HD?...just not certain, though, so don't count on that! In any case, you're good at 21" for sure.
Old September 30, 2009, 03:35 PM   #14
3ddiver

I am NOT going to cut the barrel, it is pretty short and it is a factory Remington barrel. I have not measured it but I would say 18-20 inches. Thanks for the warning, can never be too careful.